Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

creating an A/B switch

plthomas

I am a new Helix owner (love this thing!) and i am trying to create a foot switchable A/B. I want to lay down rhythm loops through one amp model and then switch outputs so I can play my leads through a different amp using only an effects chain with no amp modeling. Anyone know how to do this?

To quote DI from another post:

Inputs and Outputs can't be bypassed in the same way as processing blocks, by design. There are a few ways to do this, however:

• Assign the Output block level to a footswitch (press and hold the Output block's Level knob, press Learn Controller, and press a footswitch)
  • Change the Split > Y to Split > A/B and assign the Route To parameter to a footswitch
  • Assign a Volume/Pan > Gain block set to –120.0dB to each path, bypass one of them, and assign both to the same footswitch

EDIT: Don't forget to custom label the footswitch! It's easiest to label controller-only switches from the Command Center page. Something like "Swap A-B", "XLRs Off", "DI is My Copilot", that sort of thing.

To create an ABY switch, do this:

• On a parallel path, select the Split block and turn the joystick to select A/B.
  • Press and hold Knob 1 (Route To), press Knob 6 (Learn Controller), and then press the desired stomp mode footswitch. Let's say you picked FS2.
  • Press HOME to exit.
  • Touch and hold the desired stomp mode footswitch for Y functionality and press Knob 6 (OK) to assign it. Let's say you picked FS3.

FS2+FS3 is now your ABY switch; FS2 toggles between Paths A and B and FS3 turns the A/B Split block off, which then acts like a Y switch (signal is split evenly to Paths A and B ).

To create an ABY switch, do this:

• On a parallel path, select the Split block and turn the joystick to select A/B.
  • Press and hold Knob 1 (Route To), press Knob 6 (Learn Controller), and then press the desired stomp mode footswitch. Let's say you picked FS2.
  • Press HOME to exit.
  • Touch and hold the desired stomp mode footswitch for Y functionality and press Knob 6 (OK) to assign it. Let's say you picked FS3.

FS2+FS3 is now your ABY switch; FS2 toggles between Paths A and B and FS3 turns the A/B Split block off, which then acts like a Y switch (signal is split evenly to Paths A and B ).

Even better.  That's going in my OneNote Helix file.

• 1 year later...

Hey folks!

I'm new to helix & was wondering if it's possible to create an aby switch for 2 external amps (DT50 & my acoustic amp) & using several guitars if so how would I set this up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, jwoertz said:

Isn't there a way to have both amps on and use ONE switch to choose between amps (CLEAN/CRUNCH for example)?

Yes. Two amps in series both assigned to the same stomp. If they are both on, highlight one and hit the Bypass button. Now they are in opposite states (one on, the other off). Press the stomp and they will switch states. 

Keep in mind, two amps in one path is very DSP demanding, so you won't have much for anything else on that path. I have found that using one amp model that is good at clean and dirty is better, then using an expression pedal to change the drive, channel volume, eq parameters, etc works just as well, but only uses one amp model. 

Switching between two completely different amp model types may be the application needed to have two separate amps. 

13 minutes ago, jbuhajla said:

Yes. Two amps in series both assigned to the same stomp. If they are both on, highlight one and hit the Bypass button. Now they are in opposite states (one on, the other off). Press the stomp and they will switch states. 

Keep in mind, two amps in one path is very DSP demanding, so you won't have much for anything else on that path. I have found that using one amp model that is good at clean and dirty is better, then using an expression pedal to change the drive, channel volume, eq parameters, etc works just as well, but only uses one amp model. 

Switching between two completely different amp model types may be the application needed to have two separate amps. 

This exact setup is what's causing the pop though. I guess I will have to look for another way to do it.