Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d recording and overdubbing question

SCENARIO: So you've just recorded multiple tracks plus stereo reference mix files to your SD.  The bass guitarist arrived late.  Can you play the reference mix into his monitor or headphones and have him record just the bass part as single WAV file, that could be added to your multi-track DAW??

I'm renting the M20d and not really up to speed on the interface yet, but this is what I need to accomplish...anyone done this?  any ideas?

Thanks

C-Dog, Nanaimo BC Canada

Sorry - no. I really wish it could because I have wanted to do that or something similar at different times. But the device can not overdub - no ability to playback and record at the same time. It's designed to do a single-take full recording of all channels at a time, or a playback of all channels at a time. You can't create a playback mix to overdub on the M20d.  You would need all band members to re-perform and re-record everything.

What you want to do needs to be done on your multi-track computer-based DAW. You would need to import the recorded Main Mix file from the M20d SD card to your computer/DAW and have the bass guitarist take it from there with normal DAW recording. Of course, that generally can't happen on-site with your late-arriving bass guitarist unless you carry your DAW with you.

Many thanks for the quick replies guys.  I agree would be a great consideration as a software upgrade.  The fact that you can stream the Stereo mix back in via USB, would say that this added feature should not be hard to implement.  But I suppose the real trick is to have your DAW on an Applie MacBook Pro or something else very portable!

C-Dog :unsure:

For this purpose it doesn't need to be a full DAW, even something as simple as Audacity on a lightweight laptop would do - all you need to do is copy the files and play back the overall mix (or a simple mix from the single tracks) into the mixer and record both that and the new tracks on the M20d.

You can then trim all of the tracks to the first count in click from the drummer and they will be in sync across the two sessions for when you want to do a proper mix in your full DAW later

• Upvote 2