Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FIREHAWK FX with BLACKSTAR HT STAGE 100

Joeski13

Hi All,

Can anybody help me with setting up a Firehawk FX effect pedal to a Blackstar HT Stage 100 head. When I use headphones with Firehawk I get awesome sounds and effects but I can't get that same awesome sound on my amp.

Can somebody help me with a setup(please explain step by step for me to understand) so that I can get those same awesome sounds and effects I hear through the headphones on my half stack.

I am not sure if I should just use the CLEAN channel or the dirty channels and what setting would be best. I am really confused as to why I can't get the same great sound I do through the headphones into my amp.

Please help me!!

Thank You!!!

The reason the sounds are different is that in one case you are hearing only the Firehawk amp model and in the other case you are hearing two different amps - the Firehawk amp model and the physical Blackstar amp. It rarely sounds good to send the output of one amp into the guitar input of a second amp.

What you need to do is try to minimize the signal processing that your Blackstar amp is providing.

One way to do this, if the Blackstar supports it, is to bypass the Guitar Input on your Blackstar. If the Blackstar has a Line In, FX Return, or Poweramp In jack anywhere, connect your Firehawk output to that input. In this case you should also research something called 4CM (four cable method) for maximum flexibility on signal routing.

If you are forced to use the Guitar In jack then set the Blackstar to be as neutral as possible. Certainly use the clean, not driven, channel. Turn off any FX the Blackstar might offer (e.g reverb). Set the Tone controls to be as neutral as possible. This will take some experimentation.

Thank you very much for responding. If I go with the 4CM then will it be ok to utilize all three channels on my Blackstar(Clean, Dirty 1 and Dirty2)?

Is this what I want to do?

Guitar output to Guitar in on Firehawk

Left\mono FX Return on Firehawk to Effects send on Amp head

Left\mono FX Send on Firehawk to Guitar in on Amp head

1\4 inch output left\mono on Firehawk to Effect return on Amp head

Please tell me this is correct. Thanks again for all your help Silverhead and mcbeddall!!

Yes, that's correct. In terms of creating pod presets you need to think about:

- which amp you want to use. If the Firehawk amp, use the preamp model and do not assign a cab/mic. If you include the FX Loop in the preset turn it off. If you want to use the Blackstar amp do not assign any Firehawk amp, cab or mic; just use its FX. You must include the FX Loop and turn it on.

- FX Loop placement in your signal chain. Place it where you want relative to all amp/FX assignments, based on which FX blocks you want in the pre vs. post amp position. The Pod FX Loop represents the Blackstar preamp (guitar in). The Pod main output represents the Blackstar power amp and cab.

OK Silverhead, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!  I got the cables and setup the 4CM and it works perfect. I am using the Firehawk for everything. Only one volume knob works on the Blackstar head and everything else is controlled by the Firehawk. I am very very happy and really appreciate your help.

Funny thing happened though, I used the same setup on my 30 year old Marshall JCM800, 50watt head and the volume knob doesn't work at all on the JCM800. Only the volume on the Firehawk works. I'm guessing with the 4CM it pulls the preamp totally out of the picture. Just a FYI.

Thanks again Silverhead!!!

Good to hear. You're welcome. Hope you enjoy your new setup for a long time!

btw... If you are really using Firehawk for everything and never using the Blackstar preamp you don't need 4CM. The Firehawk FX Loop and its cables are redundant. Just connect Firehawk output to the Blackstar FX Return (unless the Blackstar requires a connection to the FX Send jack in order to activate the Return jack). Give it a try.