Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why does global eq not work with USB output?

Paolo_Maina

Global EQ is designed for compensating for the myriad environments in which you might play. As every DAW on the planet has stock EQ plugins that are likely more flexible than Helix's Global EQ, it made little sense to waste precious DSP on something largely unnecessary. Helix's routing dictates that each pair of outputs requires its own Global EQ block—currently we have one for the 1/4" outputs and another for the XLRs, and the Global EQ page controls them both simultaneously. That's how you can pick which one has Global EQ applied.

Basically, the more pairs of outputs that monitor Global EQ, the fewer simultaneous blocks you'd be able to run.

Global EQ is designed for compensating for the myriad environments in which you might play. As every DAW on the planet has stock EQ plugins that are likely more flexible than Helix's Global EQ, it made little sense to waste precious DSP on something largely unnecessary. Helix's routing dictates that each pair of outputs requires its own Global EQ block—currently we have one for the 1/4" outputs and another for the XLRs, and the Global EQ page controls them both simultaneously. That's how you can pick which one has Global EQ applied.

Basically, the more pairs of outputs that monitor Global EQ, the fewer simultaneous blocks you'd be able to run.

I get it for USB but why isn't there any global EQ for Line6 Link?

That's used to connect to an amp in live situations so there it would be very useful

I get it for USB but why isn't there any global EQ for Line6 Link? That's used to connect to an amp in live situations so there it would be very useful

Same reason. More users would prefer that DSP be used for an additional EQ > Parametric block (or equivalent model) in their signal flow.

You'd also, more than likely, be using the L6 Link output for something that has its own equalizer as well. I think a lot of people are using the Global EQ to try and fix their patches and thats not really what its meant for.

I can't think of anything I would plug the helix in via the L6 link output that allows you to EQ through it (I.e. Has its own equaliser that works with that input)

Same reason. More users would prefer that DSP be used for an additional EQ > Parametric block (or equivalent model) in their signal flow.

Really?

You must admit that the reason for having a global eq absolutely fits the use of Line6 Link.

It was the same on the HD500. It felt a bit like being cheated to me. I use the high tech more convenient and versatile Line6 Link to connect to the DT (Dream Rig). Then a great new feature get added, the global eq, but I can't use it.

Oh well, I'm really not the type to complain. I'm happy with what I have and every improvement is bonus! I just live with the shortcomings if any.

I was curious for an explanation though. I expected something technical.  :rolleyes: 

I can't think of anything I would plug the helix in via the L6 link output that allows you to EQ through it (I.e. Has its own equaliser that works with that input)

So the L2/L3 speakers and the M20D disable the EQ for things coming via L6 Link? I can see with the DT amps where it might cancel out the onboard EQ in favor of the amp models, but I'm not familiar with the DT amps full functionality as I avoid anything with tubes like I'll catch something. 

I don't really understand why there has two be two separate global EQs if they have to share settings, why not just have one before the internal split out to the various outputs and save even more DSP....

So the L2/L3 speakers and the M20D disable the EQ for things coming via L6 Link?

Yup

The M20D doesn't have a Link input only an output and the rest of the speakers bypass the EQ sections (those that have onboard mixers) when using the link in

Which is why I think it's a bit of an oversite

Global EQ should mean Global EQ

I gues I could stick an EQ block in front of the mixer out (but then so could Line 6 and called it a Global EQ)

So i have to keep the global eq switched off to save dsp power when I make recording

No... The available DSP for a patch doesn't change based on whether the global EQ is on or not. That DSP is just always set aside for global EQ.

Yup

The M20D doesn't have a Link input only an output and the rest of the speakers bypass the EQ sections (those that have onboard mixers) when using the link in

Which is why I think it's a bit of an oversite

Global EQ should mean Global EQ

I gues I could stick an EQ block in front of the mixer out (but then so could Line 6 and called it a Global EQ)

That really doesn't make any sense to me..even if you're plugging into a "FRFR" PA speaker, you still may need to cut bass/treble or adjust the EQ... 

If you use L6 link from the M20 to the Stagesource speakers that is a great system with a dedicated link EQ

I find it baffling that the global EQ in the Helix wouldn't apply to one of the few things you can plug it into that doesn't have a local EQ

I asked the question but got the same answer as above

It doesn't make sense

• Upvote 1

No... The available DSP for a patch doesn't change based on whether the global EQ is on or not. That DSP is just always set aside for global EQ.

Correct. If we added Global EQ to more output pairs, not only would people have less DSP with which to create their presets, but existing presets right at the DSP limit may break.

• 3 weeks later...

I own Helix and a L2 and in that situation I have no way off eq'ing for a room globally. I'd have to go analog and patch in an outboard eq. Seems dumb to me.

Why would you have to patch in an outboard EQ? If you went analog, you could absolutely use Helix's Global EQ. In fact, the only advantage of L6 LINK over analog today—if it's one or two StageSource speakers and not a network of multiple speakers—is skipping a D/A/D conversion, which is more about avoiding the wringing of hands than any perceivable loss in sound quality.

But to be perfectly honest, the main reason we don't waste DSP on sending Global EQ via L6 LINK to L2/L3 is because those speakers already have 31-band Graphic EQs built into their DSP. StageScape M20d can remotely control this EQ right now, and Helix could conceivably do the same (I think, maybe?). I have the whole thing specced and designed—we just need you guys to prioritize it.

Why would you have to patch in an outboard EQ? If you went analog, you could absolutely use Helix's Global EQ. In fact, the only advantage of L6 LINK over analog today—if it's one or two StageSource speakers and not a network of multiple speakers—is skipping a D/A/D conversion, which is more about avoiding the wringing of hands than any perceivable loss in sound quality.

But to be perfectly honest, the main reason we don't waste DSP on sending Global EQ via L6 LINK to L2/L3 is because those speakers already have 31-band Graphic EQs built into their DSP. StageScape M20d can remotely control this EQ right now, and Helix could conceivably do the same (I think, maybe?). I have the whole thing specced and designed—we just need you guys to prioritize it.

Well that makes sense

I could never get my head around why you didn't apply the Global EQ to the one output that almost guaranteed no local EQ on the device

That EQ is amazing and I use it a lot on the M20D

I'd love to see a

Block or a parameter that became available when connecting up

Although at the moment I'm just using good old fashioned amps and cabs for on stage

I end up carving so much off the top and the bottom when going full range it almost feels like I'm tweaking FRFR to work like a normal guitar cab...

Right - good point :) Thanks

StageScape M20d can remotely control this EQ right now, and Helix could conceivably do the same (I think, maybe?). I have the whole thing specced and designed—we just need you guys to prioritize it.

Yes indeed! That's awesome to hear, I was wondering about how much the Helix can do with L6link, as compared to M20d.. Here is my Ideascale post from November!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Line6Link-Capability/794556-23508

• 4 years later...

Of course it's needed, all people with the Powercab 212+ (or two PC112+) connected via L6: I use in the Powercab the FRFR flat raw-setting for the Cabs in Helix. Alas there's no way to rapidly adjust the equipment to a room (or to ear-fatigue) and that's what the Global Eq is made for. I couldn't believe this is missing. In my quest, i found this thread, alas no solution nor explaining answer. I wanted then to put the idea on the board, but researched first if it is already existing, and yes. So please, all that think this idea has merit, go vote:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-EQ-on-L6-Link/912758-23508  

Well, i do not think that it is requiered to open a new thread for any bs-problem. Scusi, but as ignorant, i cannot estimate in any case if a problem i have is worth a new thread, or if it is just another aspect in an already existing thread. Nor can i estimate if it's stupid or intelligent question. And my question here is why i cannot use the in the Helix that they sold me with the perfect cab for it (powercab 212+ with l6-link-cable to Helix) the global eq just for to eq the entire stuff rapidly to a room? A short answer on the topic would have IMHO been more meaningful than eventually questionable psychologic analyses on me. You could in your infinite wisdom also have recommended me to open a new thread with that topic if this problem is worth it. You could also have told me: Stupid dumkopf, it is possible, you were to blind to discover it and/or too lazy to read well the manual, go in Global settings and make this and that.

3 hours ago, AMountain said:

And my question here is why i cannot use the in the Helix that they sold me with the perfect cab for it (powercab 212+ with l6-link-cable to Helix) the global eq just for to eq the entire stuff rapidly to a room?

This information was posted in January 2016 by Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, Line 6 Chief Product Architect). Right at the top of this thread he explains.

”Global EQ is designed for compensating for the myriad environments in which you might play. As every DAW on the planet has stock EQ plugins that are likely more flexible than Helix's Global EQ, it made little sense to waste precious DSP on something largely unnecessary. Helix's routing dictates that each pair of outputs requires its own Global EQ block—currently we have one for the 1/4" outputs and another for the XLRs, and the Global EQ page controls them both simultaneously. That's how you can pick which one has Global EQ applied.

Basically, the more pairs of outputs that monitor Global EQ, the fewer simultaneous blocks you'd be able to run.”

Hope this helps/makes sense.

My suspicion is that the Global EQ is applied 'post DA conversion', hence only being applied to analogue outs.

You can't actually 'EQ' the digital output signal, simply because it's not an audio signal. It's a digital stream of patch information... it'd be as pointless as EQing a fax machine output. Making the digital output level higher doesn't make the audio louder, either.

I've used the analogy in other threads... your analogue outs are like talking on your phone. The digital outs are like sending the conversation by email. No matter how hard you hit the keyboard, the writing looks the same at the other end...If you want to imply a mood, you have to include that information within the email/patch.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, datacommando said:

This information was posted in January 2016 by Digital Igloo (Eric Klein, Line 6 Chief Product Architect). Right at the top of this thread he explains.

”Global EQ is designed for compensating for the myriad environments in which you might play. As every DAW on the planet has stock EQ plugins that are likely more flexible than Helix's Global EQ, it made little sense to waste precious DSP on something largely unnecessary. Helix's routing dictates that each pair of outputs requires its own Global EQ block—currently we have one for the 1/4" outputs and another for the XLRs, and the Global EQ page controls them both simultaneously. That's how you can pick which one has Global EQ applied.

Basically, the more pairs of outputs that monitor Global EQ, the fewer simultaneous blocks you'd be able to run.”

Thanks, but no, does not make sense, not more than all what you said before my entry (on the sense of the Global EQ and for what it is not made as cause that it is not running with the digital connections).

Thank you too for quoting the chief-product-architect, but it's sufficient to read the manual; page 61 (Helix 3.0-manual):  <<The Helix device’s Global EQ has three fully parametric bands plus variable low- and high-cut-filters and is used for compensating for the wide disparity in acoustic environments on tour or when traveling from studio to studio. Global EQ is applied to all setlists and presets and can be heard from the 1/4" outputs, XLR outputs, or both. NOTE: Global EQ is never heard from Send, Digital, or USB outputs.>>

The note is important, i will return to it in a few moments. As i read, the Global EQ has it's fix percentage of DSPpower, independent if on or off (so it does not make sense to turn it off for to have more DSPpower) -- if i understood well your quote of Mr.Klein, this is contradictive to his claim, but however, doesn't matter, since it's not the point of my "problem".

So, explicitly, i didn't speak about the use of a DAW [the Powercab212+ is not a DAW, it is an active Line6 - FRFR-stereo-speaker cabinet (alas it has no eq, no way to adjust Bass, Middle, Treble, only deep in the menu, there's Low- and High-cut)],

but about the use of the Helix and this precise line6-stereocab on stage, or while jamming (without any PC/laptop: No DAW, no Helix Native, no HX-Edit), thus exactly the case the Global EQ in the Helix is made for (!!!). 

I should perhaps mention here that Line 6 sells the Line6-Powercab as the ultimative speaker-supply for the Helix and recommends the use of the L6-link (which is digital).

- First for higher tone-quality, since it avoids the D-A-conversion at Helix-Out and then the A-D-return-conversion at the Powercab-In.

- And secondly for to be able to select speaker-sims of the Powercab via the Helix.

So, Line 6 Helix-> the famous L6-link-cable-> Line 6 Powercab. That shall be the perfect thing.

Alas, alas, they did not tell me when they sold me this package for much momey that the Global EQ of the Helix is not working this way. That says that there is no possibility to adjust the Helix-Powercab-entity  for "compensating for the wide disparity in acoustic environments on tour or when traveling from studio to studio (~manual)". You are f*cked what matters this point when you buy the Helix & its "perfect" cab-complement (/irony off), the Powercab212+ (and too with the Powercab 112+ monocab). It's really a shame that Line 6 does not offer the Global Eq for the L6-Link, even not in the 3.0.update. Then they should at least have installed an EQ in the Powercab, at least for Bass, Middle and High.

Do you see the entire contradiction now?

I would have done better to buy for essentially less money instead of the Line6Powercab (i have the more expensive stereo-cab) six (6 !!!) active Alto or Headrush FRFR-speakers, or a high-quality FRFR-guitar cab/speaker from Friedman, Kemper, BlueAmps, Dynacord, Redsound, etc..

So, practically, i run in the Helix (with two parallel paths) 4 amp-cab-sims parallely. When i put there the more an eq-block behind, the DSP-power is out: No way to add an effect (not one). 

Of course, i am not a total dumbhead. So i bought that sh*t and now i have to handle that sh*t and to see how to resolve my problem ("compensating for the wide disparity in acoustic environments on tour or when traveling from studio to studio") and what i did is to connect the Helix and the Powercab with two instrument-cables (stereo) and now i could use the Helix's Global EQ, but since this one is mono, i inserted there the Boss 200-EQ-pedal (a stereo eq-pedal).

This way, i can at least insert one effect-pedal in my preset. Alas i have now too the A-D-conversation plus its return-conversion in my path. And last but not least, it is robbing me the possibility to manage the Powercab-settings via the Helix - one of the causes i bought it at all -.  Do you understand my anger in this point? This Powercab 212+ is an expensive cab and it should be perfect when Line 6 claims it would be the perfect speaker-supplement for the Helix. And then that: No Eq for rapid local adjustments - nor at the Powercab nor is the Helix's Global Eq working with the Powercab -.

If one puts preference on this point, i would recommend him (/her) not to buy the Line6-Powercab, but some high-quality product from another brand (or 6 Headrush or Alto). And i really hope Line 6 finds the fault here and adds in the next update the functionality of the Global EQ for the L6-link. Just for the Line6-Powercab-users.

51 minutes ago, somebodyelse said:

My suspicion is that the Global EQ is applied 'post DA conversion', hence only being applied to analogue outs.

You can't actually 'EQ' the digital output signal, simply because it's not an audio signal. It's a digital stream of patch information... it'd be as pointless as EQing a fax machine output. Making the digital output level higher doesn't make the audio louder, either.

I've used the analogy in other threads... your analogue outs are like talking on your phone. The digital outs are like sending the conversation by email. No matter how hard you hit the keyboard, the writing looks the same at the other end...If you want to imply a mood, you have to include that information within the email/patch.

THIS explanation makes sense to me. For the case it is this way (Global EQ working at a location after the junction of the D-A-conversion-path), then or it will remain impossible for ever to adjust the L6-Link with it, or there is a way to install another path that puts this junction BEHIND the Global EQ. 

51 minutes ago, AMountain said:

And i really hope Line 6 finds the fault here and adds in the next update the functionality of the Global EQ for the L6-link. Just for the Line6-Powercab-users.

Well, if you find this such a big problem for working with the Powercab, the best way for dealing with this is to post a request on the IdeaScale website. Then you will see how many other people agree with you and upvote you idea for Global EQ to be added to L6-link.

https://line6.ideascale.com

Once you have done that you can post in this thread to let others know and encourage them to vote.

I dont use the Link with my two PC+ for that same reason (I could use a EQ block but DSP are full for my preset), other than because the daisy chain has few bugs that make the entire thing pretty erratic.

Indeed, let's hope for a patch that cover both the problems. :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PierM said:

I dont use the Link with my two PC+ for that same reason (I could use a EQ block but DSP are full for my preset), other than because the daisy chain has few bugs that make the entire thing pretty erratic.

Indeed, let's hope for a patch that cover both the problems. :)

You're not getting it.

You CANNOT EQ a digital signal stream. If you want to EQ the audio, you HAVE TO either use DSP and do it within patches OR do it AFTER the digital to audio conversion.

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you do to a digital signal uses Digital Signal Processing - DSP.

IF you're using a Powercab, you can EQ it at the Powercab side, uaing IT'S DSP and saving a little DSP at the Helix side.

It's not a problem. It's not "patchable".

It's like asking for dehydrated water. 

1 hour ago, somebodyelse said:

You're not getting it.

You CANNOT EQ a digital signal stream. If you want to EQ the audio, you HAVE TO either use DSP and do it within patches OR do it AFTER the digital to audio conversion.

ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING you do to a digital signal uses Digital Signal Processing - DSP.

IF you're using a Powercab, you can EQ it at the Powercab side, uaing IT'S DSP and saving a little DSP at the Helix side.

It's not a problem. It's not "patchable".

It's like asking for dehydrated water. 

Man, just chill, you risk a stroke lol!

They could do it, just not a priority.

On 2/13/2016 at 8:48 AM, Digital_Igloo said:

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 4:53 AM, datacommando said:

Well, if you find this such a big problem for working with the Powercab, the best way for dealing with this is to post a request on the IdeaScale website. Then you will see how many other people agree with you and upvote you idea for Global EQ to be added to L6-link.

Once you have done that you can post in this thread to let others know and encourage them to vote.

Thank you for the link, but i already had in my first post here linked the mattering idea. Perhaps i should have highlighted it...

So, again:

All who think this idea has merit, please vote there for it.

Edit: Taking the opportunity for some publicity for another idea, which is from me (in contrary to the above one):

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/H-Floor-Stomp-up-down-up-down-switches-working-inside-a-preset/1008717-23508

The idea is the use of the H.Floor as pure pedalboard. Up to 32 FX-blocks can be loaded in 1 preset, but it's not possible to view them in the scribble-scripts nor to (dis-)engage them with the foot; if the up/down-footswitches would too work inside a preset, then all 32 effects would be to see in packages of 8 in the scribble-scripts & (dis-)engageable with the foot.

Then there would be 4 up-down-functions: Preset, Bank, Snapshot, Stomp. Really perfect it would then be when these 4 up/down-modes could be changed with the mode-switch or by some other footswitch-trick (and not only in Global Settings).

Interesting for all guitarists with real amps (use of the H.Floor as one of the biggest pedalboards of the world: up to 32 effects in one box, all visible in the scribble-scripts and dis-/engageable with the foot), but too in a usual preset it would be very useful to have access with the footswitches to all blocks there. Great feature missing!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AMountain said:

Thank you for the link, but i already had in my first post here linked the mattering idea. Perhaps i should have highlighted it...

So, again:

All who think this idea has merit, please vote there for it.

Voted.

I think the core point here is if the Global EQ which is already available, with its own reserved DSP power and logic, could be hijacked to AES/EBU at the same cost, or if would need extra logic to be asked to the DSP...in which case would break presets. If the first, we have a chance to see it implemented in the future....if the second, I wouldnt hold my breath.

Said that; without that option, I cant really see the advantage to use the Link with Powercabs (that are boomy by default, even with the low cut). Not advantageous enough to justify the absence of Global EQ (which is fundamental for gigging people).

• Like 1

The stereo-Powercab is boomy too. And there i like the L6-link because it's one cable (not two).  Because of the boomyness, i put it usually one foot from the floor plus its adjustable low cut mostly at 340Hz (imagine). I think their idea was a multi-purpose-cab (you-tube-music, guitar, etc.); a pure guitar-cab-conception would have been better. Perhaps i'll sell it and buy me something more specific, pure FR-guitar-cab and an external power-amp, something like the Matrix GT1000. Would have the more the advantage i could use my Marshall-cabs when i have presets with Marshalls, then i would have more DSP for FX. What reminds me another idea: Seen the price of the Powercab, they (Line 6) could really have implemented speaker-outs for to connect real brand-cabs directly to the amp in the Powercab. I mean, usually, every guitarist has his preferred cabs, still the Helix plus the Powercab would be there for 30 other amps. ... :) already pondering if i sell it or if i drill some holes in it...

I echo the thoughts above for DT amp users.

I can have global EQ if I use 1/4" out, but then I lose the ability to change the power amp settings with my Helix because I'm not using AES/EBU.

Or, I can have the really cool DT power amp switching from my Helix, but then I lose the global EQ.

So I have to choose which features I don't want to use which is a pain because I would like both of them.

The only solution I can see is three duplicate set lists. One for 1/4" out (and I'll just have to remember to fiddle with the amp between songs), or L6 Link out with a 'neutral' EQ for each preset. One for L6 Link out with a 'brighter' EQ in each preset, and one for L6 Link out with a 'darker' EQ in each preset.

It's either that or have two eqs in every patch to go 'bright' or 'dark' based on the room we're playing in.

Neither of the above lets me tune the amp to the room at sound check.

I have voted for all I can to do with this on Ideascale.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fenderflame28 said:

I echo the thoughts above for DT amp users.

I can have global EQ if I use 1/4" out, but then I lose the ability to change the power amp settings with my Helix because I'm not using AES/EBU.

Or, I can have the really cool DT power amp switching from my Helix, but then I lose the global EQ.

So I have to choose which features I don't want to use which is a pain because I would like both of them.

The only solution I can see is three duplicate set lists. One for 1/4" out (and I'll just have to remember to fiddle with the amp between songs), or L6 Link out with a 'neutral' EQ for each preset. One for L6 Link out with a 'brighter' EQ in each preset, and one for L6 Link out with a 'darker' EQ in each preset.

It's either that or have two eqs in every patch to go 'bright' or 'dark' based on the room we're playing in.

Neither of the above lets me tune the amp to the room at sound check.

I have voted for all I can to do with this on Ideascale.

Yes, i have the same problem, many presets only because the Global-Eq is not working for us. And rapidly, the preset-folders become ridiculously filled and totally chaotic and complicated. Thank you for the vote.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:53 AM, datacommando said:

If the number of the votes is the only thing that line 6 takes in count for to ponder the ideas there, then this vote-system there is unjust and IMHO not intelligent:

How for example in this precise case here shall the few Powercab- & DT-owners ever reach there significant vote-results? We are a minority. On 1000 Helix (or POD) - owners, there are perhaps 50 Powercab- plus DT-owners. Some Helix or Pod ideas have more than 4000 votes, we Powercab-people can be happy when our problems (and the ideas for to resolve them) ever get 30 votes, if at all. We'll never be considered this way.

3 hours ago, AMountain said:

If the number of the votes is the only thing that line 6 takes in count for to ponder the ideas there, then this vote-system there is unjust and IMHO not intelligent:

I don’t know how the voting system works, so I cannot say if that is the only thing that Line 6 take account of.

I do know that the “IdeaScale” is the only way to get your suggestion noticed.

• Like 1