Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Very disappointed.

lespaul79

i'm not able to test atm.. but can you have delay or reverb tails between patches? i remember my old korg kaoss pad would put a delay fx on when you changed sounds and it just filled the gap.. it's one way to do it i guess

You can't have spillover ("tails") between presets but you can have them when using snapshots.

I hate to be an old fogey, uphill-both-ways and all that, but you do realize you're complaining about the limitations of tools that didn't even exist not so long ago, yeah? Try switching between 4 different sounds on an actual tube amp -- you need multiple amps, multiple channels (way fewer than the number of snapshots available), footswitchable boost, etc.. Yet music got made, somehow.

• Upvote 1

I hate to be an old fogey, uphill-both-ways and all that, but you do realize you're complaining about the limitations of tools that didn't even exist not so long ago, yeah? Try switching between 4 different sounds on an actual tube amp -- you need multiple amps, multiple channels (way fewer than the number of snapshots available), footswitchable boost, etc.. Yet music got made, somehow.

This argument applies to almost everything tech related – As a counter argument: The Helix wouldn't be what it is if the developers and designers were satisfied quickly. Everything in the Helix feels like "Why stop here?"– So, why stop here? Some argue with return of investment etc.– But how about a possible mission to take the mockery from "old fogeys" (sorry ;)) and grins to modeling away? Eliminate all the "But!"s? 

The Helix introduces gives so much freedom, but then you hit an obstacle. Yes, it is minor to many, more major to others; but it is there– It's like you finally got the the long awaited ice-cream, but have to eat it through a straw.

I don't see this discussion as complaints. Talking about a way to get rid of this issue is only fertile in my opinion. Please don't see it as whining of spoiled millenial-tech-brats.

This argument applies to almost everything tech related – As a counter argument: The Helix wouldn't be what it is if the developers and designers were satisfied quickly. Everything in the Helix feels like "Why stop here?"– So, why stop here? Some argue with return of investment etc.– But how about a possible mission to take the mockery from "old fogeys" (sorry ;)) and grins to modeling away? Eliminate all the "But!"s? 

The Helix introduces gives so much freedom, but then you hit an obstacle. Yes, it is minor to many, more major to others; but it is there– It's like you finally got the the long awaited ice-cream, but have to eat it through a straw.

I don't see this discussion as complaints. Talking about a way to get rid of this issue is only fertile in my opinion. Please don't see it as whining of spoiled millenial-tech-brats.

First..I am not going after anyone here   These are just general observations from an "Old Fogey"

The problem is that it is people furious and complaining. They get them and expect things that are not possible with any current technology. Many of the things wanted were never possible.  Do people think you can switch from a real Marshall to a Fender amp live and no one will notice a drop or boost? Look, I  understand why they want all of these features. But there was  never anything suggesting it could be done. Then, even  if they admit it sounds good,, they return the item in 30 days wanting full refund. This costs retailers and Line 6 thousands of dollars a year driving up prices for everyone..  And the person still can't do what do what they want. They may be able to do it with inferior sounding modeling that did not use as music dsp our maybe  a TC Electronics effects only unit (they are pretty nice, I used a Nova System on my old board).  Then they post negative stuff everywhere because it can't  do the impossible. Or  at least not  possible without something the size of a couch, or costing $100000.  It is very possible all of these requests will come to pass in time. As technology continues too improve and optimizations continue things will get closer. Maybe by  Helix 3 it will come close or hit it.  And I know Line 6 is working on tweaking Helix. Maybe a future firmware update will get it close provide work around.. It will never please everyone..

They get them and expect things that are not possible with any current technology. 

That quote should be stickied! We are ALL (yes, even me) guilty of this. 

But there was never anything suggesting it could be done. 

And then there are other cases where it was assumed because a piece of hardware was named the same identical thing, but didn't perform the same way... 

And I know Line 6 is working on tweaking Helix. Maybe a future firmware update will get it close provide workaround.. It will never please everyone.

Agreed. And not just that issue but even maybe a tuner for the editor!  :D

• 3 weeks later...

First..I am not going after anyone here   These are just general observations from an "Old Fogey"

The problem is that it is people furious and complaining. They get them and expect things that are not possible with any current technology. Many of the things wanted were never possible.  Do people think you can switch from a real Marshall to a Fender amp live and no one will notice a drop or boost? Look, I  understand why they want all of these features. But there was  never anything suggesting it could be done. Then, even  if they admit it sounds good,, they return the item in 30 days wanting full refund. This costs retailers and Line 6 thousands of dollars a year driving up prices for everyone..  And the person still can't do what do what they want. They may be able to do it with inferior sounding modeling that did not use as music dsp our maybe  a TC Electronics effects only unit (they are pretty nice, I used a Nova System on my old board).  Then they post negative stuff everywhere because it can't  do the impossible. Or  at least not  possible without something the size of a couch, or costing $100000.  It is very possible all of these requests will come to pass in time. As technology continues too improve and optimizations continue things will get closer. Maybe by  Helix 3 it will come close or hit it.  And I know Line 6 is working on tweaking Helix. Maybe a future firmware update will get it close provide work around.. It will never please everyone..

You're wrong, since the 80s Eric Johnson has been seamlessly switching from a real Marshall to a real Fender on stage with no drops, boosts or pops. Simulating that procedure is a breeze now, I've been doing that for years on a BOSS GT10 and later on a HD500X: I drop a Marshall on path 1, a Fender on path 2 and seamlessly fade between the two with an Expression toe/heel tilt. When I needed four amps in parallel I hooked both pedals with MIDI. Helix made both redundant. I can do plenty of other "impossible" stuff as you said: modulating amp gains and EQ curves in real-time with an expression pedal tilt; turn a bass into a guitar with a synth pitch-shifter, turn a guitar into a Japanese bamboo flute, a 6-string into a 12 or 24-string, etc.

I agree some people have illogical expectations, gapless patch changes is the most asinine; they are going about programming in the wrong way. Synthesizers are the same, one does not simply change patches mid-song, period. Same for a DJs with Ableton sets or launchpads: one song=one patch. Line6 addressed this request with Snapshots but the truth is I never even needed that on my HD500X. Everything the OP wanted can be programmed and assigned to a single move in a single patch, no tap-dancing or patch change required. I don't have a Helix yet, but 4 path-chains is akin to having two HD500X in tandem, with 4 different amp/cabs or IRs and stacks of effects to alternate within a single preset with full spill-over, zero gaps, and no latency whatsoever. 

wanting more DSP is silly. as far as I'm concerned, we're already living in the future.

• Upvote 2

You're wrong, since the 80s Eric Johnson has been seamlessly switching from a real Marshall to a real Fender on stage with no drops, boosts or pops. Simulating that procedure is a breeze now, I've been doing that for years on a BOSS GT10 and later on a HD500X: I drop a Marshall on path 1, a Fender on path 2 and seamlessly fade between the two with an Expression toe/heel tilt. When I needed four amps in parallel I hooked both pedals with MIDI. Helix made both redundant. I can do plenty of other "impossible" stuff as you said: modulating amp gains and EQ curves in real-time with an expression pedal tilt; turn a bass into a guitar with a synth pitch-shifter, turn a guitar into a Japanese bamboo flute, a 6-string into a 12 or 24-string, etc.

I agree some people have illogical expectations, gapless patch changes is the most asinine; they are going about programming in the wrong way. Synthesizers are the same, one does not simply change patches mid-song, period. Same for a DJs with Ableton sets or launchpads: one song=one patch. Line6 addressed this request with Snapshots but the truth is I never even needed that on my HD500X. Everything the OP wanted can be programmed and assigned to a single move in a single patch, no tap-dancing or patch change required. I don't have a Helix yet, but 4 path-chains is akin to having two HD500X in tandem, with 4 different amp/cabs or IRs and stacks of effects to alternate within a single preset with full spill-over, zero gaps, and no latency whatsoever. 

wanting more DSP is ridiculous, as is waiting for future updates. as far as I'm concerned, we're already living in the future.

Bang on! Also, you have inspired me to go and mess around with my expression pedal. It never crossed my mind to use it to sweep EQ! Neat! :-)