Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-89F loose vibrato bar

I found some play in my vibrato bar. I initially thought the vibrato bar was loose in the receiver, but when I unscrewed the bar from the receiver I noticed that the receiver was loose in its mount. Maybe there is a special tool to tighten this, but I had to remove the Floyd Rose to get to the tightening screw. In the process, I had to remove the counter pressure springs. I was surprised to find the springs were stuffed with some sort of black foam. I bought it used. I presume the stuffing is there to prevent vibration noise. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone think this could be used to prevent piezo artifacts?

Had the same thing shoved in my 69's tremolo springs...since removed them. Noticed no difference. Old creaky and corroded springs can certainly be noisy when you're actually using the bar, but I don't think that stuffing crap in there accomplishes much. At some point you just need new springs...

You had to remove the whole bridge to tighten the screw? That suck. I have some play too, gotta check it it's the mount too.

Yeah, Just unscrew and remove the bar and if the receiver has any play in it you will need to take it apart. Well, I could not reach the tightening screw for the base piece with the Floyd in the guitar.