Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Have any HD500X users tried this amp yet?

clintmartin

I have a DT25 which I'm very happy with, but I'm interested in how well the HD500X would sound through this amp using the full models with cabs or maybe with an external IR loader such as the Two-Notes CAB.

I'm expecting a lot of Helix users to give this a try as well.

I haven't always been thrilled with FRFR, but this amp could be what I've been waiting for.

Have any of you tried this with the HD500X or Helix? Have you been able to compare with other FRFR solutions?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I have been looking at the 1500 too; Would definitely dig hearing this with Helix and HD500x and Eleven Rack! Going to those XLR inputs, wondering how the stereo field is carried into the 'monitor' inputs? Guessing it's able to do stereo in that sense, since the inputs and outputs are both stereo. 

Can it stream Bluetooth audio from a phone using Spotify and such? 

Yes, any Bluetooth audio can be streamed to the Firehawk 1500. The iOS and Android app will only stream music that is on your device but you still can stream anything that can go to Bluetooth audio, e.g. Spotify etc.

Sweet! very tempting.. I am loving my Helix, looking closely at the fh1500 as a companion to it.

Well, G.A.S. strikes again.. I just noticed an open box FH1500 pop up on MF for $120 off the price ($879), so I jumped on it. Thanks! to whomever decided to return it! I had randomly decided to get their credit card, so it's even 6 months no interest to pay it down, which isn't too bad. Not sure if this is the case everywhere, but MF doesn't charge tax to ship to Illinois, so bonus. For some reason I thought they did, I guess that's just GC?

Will report back when I have it and have time to Helix it up! Will give the HD500x some love too. I will also test using the XLR through to the M20d, and crank that up through some L3m's. For that matter, might have to try running the XLR outs from the FH1500 to my L2t speakers.. Extra stereo?

As for the Helix-FH1500-M20d XLR path, I want to be sure adding the FH1500 to the chain doesn't induce or introduce any unwanted hiss, hum or noise. Pysched to get an open box deal, I scored an open box Mono case from MF a few weeks back, and really was in mint condition! Decent savings from Musicians Friend, twice in a row. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use to have the 500x connected to dt25 amp. So for tube purist that combo was great with the way the 500x switched the amp topology. My problem with it was when playing it at a contemporary church the volume was to much. As everyone knows you need to be in that volume sweet spot to have great tube tone and without a iso box. It didn't work. The fh1500 still sound really good and the volume is very usable form almost off to stadium loud. And the FH app is way cool having your iPad on a stand and adjusting things as you play.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure why you would use another modeler such as the Helix with the FH 1500! The latter is the modeler built into a digital amp, right? It has ample power and all of the modeling stuff that the regular FH modeler has, except you have your output solution. The only other thing you would need is the FBV to switch patches and banks, etc. You also have the benefit of the remote app which is what I love about the regular FH. It just sounds terrible out of a standard guitar amp in a live setting! Even with all the fine suggestions that other users have offered such as turning off the cabs, using the 4CM, using the FX Loop in the chain, adjusting EQ, adjusting the three volume knobs for gigging volume, and all the rest; it is not satisfactory!! Tones are very muddy or MIA! None of this would be an issue for a guitar jockey with unlimited $$$ and a monstrously large man cave to store all this stuff we buy and never use! LOL!!

Jim

I'm not sure why you would use another modeler such as the Helix with the FH 1500!

I actually just did exactly that! Sounded stellar, really good. Helix XLR to FH1500 monitor XLR inputs, cranked up, kicked back on the stand was perfect for jamming with a really loud drummer and bassist with a Hartke stack.

I also think the added option to send a 1/4" from Helix to the mono center speaker system into a blank patch on the FH1500 is killer, and could potentially allow you to shape the final XLR stereo out going to the PA, mixer, FOH, etc. I am thinking assign an extra exp pedal to control volume to that 1/4" 'dry' send, or assign a FS to either toggle that send on and off, or impact it's volume, or it's wet-dry mix, or any other number of things.

Ultimately, for a high powered amp with a wet-dry-wet, this thing rocks for people who have Helix.

I also have L2t and L3m speakers, which are also killer, but my intent was use the L3 for the main speakers and L2 for floor monitors with the M20d mixer. Send stereo XLR from the output of FH1500 to channels on the mixer, and not have to rely on the L2 floor monitor for all or any of my guitar signal.

That's my two cents worth! Just got my FH1500 open box from Musicians Friend, just got to test it on Friday.

I also did that 1/4" send to the FH dry from the second out on my G70 receiver. Loaded the FH app on my phone and did some of the FH presets in parallel with the Helix tones. Some mad cool options there!!

Will jam again Friday, hopefully with another guitarist with a Fender tube amp. I need to do the FH1500 firmware update, something about sounding better at high volumes! Want to see how it holds up at full band volume, but thus far, more than loud enough, and a stellar way to crank up Helix. It's super heavy, so I like the look of the new transport case..

• Upvote 1

Cool and thank you for that post Colonel. I am very tempted to go with the 1500 because of the many stage options for outputting. I am a bit concerned about the 63 lbs! My Fender HRD weighs in at 45 lbs! But what on earth would I do with the FH floor modeler I just bought? Dilemma!

Jim

This may be a silly question or one for a line 6 tech: If these guys are using their Helix with the FH 1500, shouldn't you also be able to use a regular FH floor modeler with the FH 1500 as your pseudo FBV? Or would their be incompatibilities? Also, if you did this, would you just be using the 1500 as a powered speaker/monitor? I.e. how would you connect to it? Or would the floor modeler FH just be designated to being an overqualified foot pedal board underling to the 1500? I'm trying to come up with a scenario for getting the 1500 and not losing a bundle on the Floor modeler I just bought 3 months ago! Maybe Line 6 could help out with this?

Jim