Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Expression Pedal Problem

martymetz3

Hi,

My POD HD500 is great! The sound is good, and everything seems to be working well, except for the expression pedal. It's really not TOO big of a problem, more of a nuisance. When the pedal (whether a whammy, or wah, or whatever) is up it's fine, but when I push the top down to get a full whammy effect, it wont stay at the +24.0 unless I push down. For instance if I lift my foot off the pedal and leave it pressed down, the octave will drop to like +23.4 or +23.5. So the only way I can get the +24.0 octave sound is if I leave my foot pressed down on the pedal. You don't really notice it with the wah, but with the whammy it sounds pretty bad. Is there anyway to fix this problem? 

Thank you,

Marty

• 1 year later...

Expression Pedal PROBLEM!

Hi. I  did a factory reset on my POD HD500 and was trying to Calibrate the Pedal. I went thru the procedure of "Pedal Cal" then the "Duty Cycle". that worked fine. When i got to "Scaled Pedal Value" the value remained at "0" (zero) the whole time, on heel or toe position. It didnt move up to 255. Tried a couple of times but doesnt seem to work. 

Could someone please help me out with this? Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I  did a factory reset on my POD HD500 and was trying to Calibrate the Pedal. I went thru the procedure of "Pedal Cal" then the "Duty Cycle". that worked fine. When i got to "Scaled Pedal Value" the value remained at "0" (zero) the whole time, on heel or toe position. It didnt move up to 255. Tried a couple of times but doesnt seem to work. 

I'm having the EXACT same issue with my HD500.  If anyone has ANY input on this PLEASE HELP US!!!  Oh yeah, I have a support ticket open for this currently as well.  So if they get back to me before hand I'll post what their reply is.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the EXACT same issue with my HD500.  If anyone has ANY input on this PLEASE HELP US!!!  Oh yeah, I have a support ticket open for this currently as well.  So if they get back to me before hand I'll post what their reply is.

Same for me...

Any news?

• 2 years later...

HI! 

Sorry for resuming this old topic, but I have the exact same problem. The pedal just stopped working as I was editing a patch and since then every time I activate it it's stuck in the "0" position. 

I have tried to re-calibrate and to do a factory reset plus re-calibrate, but to no avail. I set the heel to 0, the toe to 255 and the in the "C" phase of the calibration the values don't move from 0. Does it mean I have to bring my POD for assistance or just pray for something to happen? I can't find an answer on this anywhere.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Stefano

Hi again,

I tried all of the above and no luck...the pedal seems well connected to the main board and I even tried to clean up the metal sensor in the small pedal board on the side to make sure that no dust was affecting the coupling between pedal and sensor.

The sensor had a small dent in the middle, which I assume is normal and due to the pressure I apply when switching between exp1 and exp2. Correct?

I guess assistance is my only option at this point...

I think you're on to something! If I plug and unplug my guitar jack in the pedal 2 slot, it sometimes (like 1 out of 3 times) makes the pedal switch from exp2 to exp1 and jumps the volume control from 0% to 100%. Still no change when I go to the calbration though. I will continue experimenting, in the meantime if you have any suggestions please feel free to share!

I see. I have no external pedals but I tried with my headphones cable which is stereo. I didn't notice any particular differences compared to using the mono guitar cable. I assume then that setting the volume to 100% is some sort of default value when there is no pedal attached at the other end of the pedal 2 connection that sends the right info.

It is a bit weird that the exp2 to exp1 switch doesn't happen all the time when connecting the cable, but it also might be due to the fact that I'm not connecting a real pedal.

I also tried to bring the pod where I bought it but they said since it's out of warranty it's better if I contact Line 6 support directly. They also referred me to the "best amp doctor in town" (a big town!) but when he heard it was a POD and what the symptom was he said I should just contact Line 6.

I'm a little pissed off as the pedalboard never left my apartment and is in perfect condition, so this is probably a factory fault that shows up just after the end of warranty, not really a sign of well made products.

if they were products that could last forever, they would have a life guarantee ... and they would cost more..

what has been promised/guaranteed by the vendor has been kept ..

I also had some problems (worn encoders, switches, etc.) after the warranty period, and I had to choose whether to repair them or buy a new device.

in the end I agreed on the repair, like I would do with my guitars, scooter or car, etc. for their maintenance

Well technically you are right. In reality, if you advice someone to spend 500 bucks on a device that will break after 2 years of very lightweight use, they would probably not buy it. I'm sure it´s not only me that expects a product to last more than their warranty time.  

I have also owned a POD 2.0, a POD XT Live and a POD X3 Live. I used them much more and they never gave me trouble. Based on the stuff I found here on the forums it looks like the HD series has in general given more issues than previous versions.

I guess you're right, luck also plays a big part! 

Anyway, forgot to say thanks a lot for all your advice! I have now found a local Yamaha repair center (I hand't noticed that Line 6 was bought by Yamaha :-)) and they offered to take a look at it before taking it in for official service, so I'll see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read all the replies in this thread and have two comments based on my experience.

Comment 1 refers to the original post from martymetz3... concerning the whammy/wah/volume not staying at 100% in the toe position when you take your foot off the onboard pedal. It's caused by a slight physical bounceback of about 1% due to the toe switch bumper pad. Recalibration of the onboard pedal compensates for this effect. This bounceback can be confirmed by monitoring the onboard pedal volume parameter of the Volume Pedal block: foot on pedal in full toe position, volume = 100%; foot off pedal in full toe position, volume = 99%.j

Comment 2 concerns the following...

external expression pedals typically use TRS jack cables (same used for stereo cables) different than those used for guitars, which are simple TS, and would not be detected correctly by the Pedal 2 socket..

normally as soon as you plug a TRS jack into the Pedal 2 socket, the onboard pedal becomes EXP 1 (red led lit) and the external pedal (if any) becomes EXP 2 (green led)..

if you disconnect the TRS jack connected to the Pedal 2, the onboard pedal doesn't revert back to EXP 2 (green) automatically..

if your device doesn't behave like said above here, then probably there is some problem with the Pedal 2 socket..

it would be interesting to see if an external expression pedal would work as expected as EXP 2

I use a Line 6 EX-1 expression pedal for volume and it's designed to work perfectly using a 1/4" TS jack (not TRS) plugged into the Pedal2 socket of any L6 Pod, HD500X included. Both red & green exp1 & exp2 light up like they should when plugging in pedal 2, as described in the above quote... and when pedal 2 is unplugged, you need to depress the onboard pedal toe switch to get it to revert to exp2/green only. Note: plugging a 1/4" TS jack alone into the socket has no effect on the exp1/exp2 lights... the other end needs to be plugged into an expression pedal.

I've never tried other expression pedals, but to be compatible with Line 6 pods they need a passive 10k ohm mono linear taper pot, using a standard 1/4" mono (TS) instrument cable. Here's the L6 faq http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/general-faq/line-6-expression-pedal-ex-1-faq-r347

For full functionality, only two other brands that I know fit the bill: Nose (nose.com) and Mission EP-1 or EP-1R.

(Note: I'm in no way connected with any of these companies... or Line 6. I'm just stating the facts.)

So... to confirm that your Pedal2 socket works properly, you need to try a 10k ohm linear pedal with a TS jack.

Hope this helps

✔ï¸

• 3 months later...

Same issue with my HD500X did anyone find a solution?

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 7:42 AM, Eclipse612 said:

I guess you're right, luck also plays a big part! 

Anyway, forgot to say thanks a lot for all your advice! I have now found a local Yamaha repair center (I hand't noticed that Line 6 was bought by Yamaha :-)) and they offered to take a look at it before taking it in for official service, so I'll see what they say.

Hi there, did you find a solve for it? I'm still wondering what the issue is with mine. According with an store, it may be the sensor and would cost around $100 to fix it. I'm trying to understand if I can order the part and replace it on my own.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:29 PM, laerciocfh said:

Hi there, did you find a solve for it? I'm still wondering what the issue is with mine. According with an store, it may be the sensor and would cost around $100 to fix it. I'm trying to understand if I can order the part and replace it on my own.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, just saw this. 

According to the Yamaha service center I was speaking to, they had to swap the mainboard. They also demonstrated though that they knew very little about Line6 products so I don't know if you should take this for granted. I also had to constantly put them in touch with the European Line6 customer support in Germany as they wouldn't speak with each other otherwise. After they fixed the problem, they even forgot to reset the security chip so I had to bring it back. It was expensive and I only did it because I found out I had an insurance which covered most of the costs. After all this though, it worked - so at a very minimum, I can confirm that changing the mainboard works.