Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to discreetly adjust the output level of XLR left from XLR right

Dylanguitar

Sorry if this is self evident. Trying to overcome the learning curve here as quickly as I can.

Right now the XLR outs, Left and Right share the same master volume knob (the big knob). I have a powered speaker (Matrix Q12). I'm taking the left out of my Helix into the powered speaker and then send the right out the the PA. 

How can I control the L output so I can increase the volume going to my powered speaker but not the volume going to the PA?

I'm not the one running sound, so "turn the PA channel down and the Helix up" is not a solution for me.

Thanks

Dylan

The pan solution in the output block us one way.

Can you use 1/4" to your powered speaker? That way you can assign the master volume to only the 1/4's adjust your stage volume all day, while the house (PA) gets same level. All volume changes in the patch (lead boost, etc.) still work everywhere.

i do the same and there is no loss of fidelity at all.  Right now I'm running to a Roland 150 through the monitor (input 4) channel.  I am looking at the QSC K12 powered speaker as the dedicated output for my Helix, both when running a PA and when just using a stand alone speaker.  Any thoughts out there on the best speaker choice for the Helix?  I've run the output through a few guitar amps, but they color the sound and really just defeat the purpose of the Helix.

Go to Global Settings>Ins/Outs>Page 2>Volume Knob Controls and you can set what the Volume Knob controls.

Page 42 in Helix Owner's Manual

3     Volume Knob Controls - Determines which output(s)  are affected when  turning the top panel  VOLUME knob.  For example, you may want to control  the level sent from the 1/4" outputs to your stage monitor  without affecting  the XLR level sent  to the front-of-house mixer.

Still seems somewhat limiting. I just plugged a 20 foot monster cable, and I can hear a slight difference between that and the XLR. (I will try a shorter cable).

Plus if you go into Global Settings and tell the volume knob to control the 1/4 output only, you then have little control over the level that you're sending to the PA, via XLR which from what I could tell was very hot.

Per the panning idea. It seems like it would make sense but it doesn't give you an "on the fly" way to bump up your stage volume without sending more to the sound guy.

Dylan