Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Recording - SPDIF

jeebster

Hey Folks,

I've got a question pertaining to recording via SPDIF. I have my Helix running into an Focusrite Clarett interface via SPDIF and I notice that I hear audio signal from the Helix on both input 9 & 10 in Logic Pro X. Does this indicate that the Helix is sending a stereo signal out, one channel being left mono and the other right? Also, I'm assuming I should set the internal clock source on my interface to SPDIF as it should be receiving SPDIF clock information from the Helix, correct? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Hey Folks,

I've got a question pertaining to recording via SPDIF. I have my Helix running into an Focusrite Clarett interface via SPDIF and I notice that I hear audio signal from the Helix on both input 9 & 10 in Logic Pro X. Does this indicate that the Helix is sending a stereo signal out, one channel being left mono and the other right? Also, I'm assuming I should set the internal clock source on my interface to SPDIF as it should be receiving SPDIF clock information from the Helix, correct? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Yes both questions are correct :-)

Thanks Lulu. One more question - does the Helix send out a dry signal as well or only wet? Would be great to record both dry and wet signals simultaneously via SPDIF if possible.

Helix send out only a wet signal via SPDIF, but does send out wet & dry via the USB! 

One can choose the wet signal (USB 1/2, 3/4 or 5/6) and the dry mono signal on USB7 or 8. 

I personally prefer using the USB (so have to switch ASIO in my Cubase under windows, but that's not such a big deal as I can easily switch between my MOTU and Helix, without messing up the routings)

I wondered about this too, hoped that recording the dry signal through SPDIF would be possible, as people seem to have problems using the Helix as an audio interface (crackles etc).

I have a stereo instrument. Is it possible to record the stereo dry signal through USB?

Plugged into guitar input and aux. Thinking about buying Helix, but lots of things to consider.

I wondered about this too, hoped that recording the dry signal through SPDIF would be possible, as people seem to have problems using the Helix as an audio interface (crackles etc).

I have a stereo instrument. Is it possible to record the stereo dry signal through USB?

Plugged into guitar input and aux. Thinking about buying Helix, but lots of things to consider.

I recording the dry signal via spdif is possible, but only if you put in a seperate signal chain with no fx and set the output to spdif. USB let you record the dry, without sacrificing a signal chain ;-)

Is it possible to record a dry signal in stereo via the USB, I'm not sure, I guess not, but maybe someone else can answer that for you.

In the global settings, you can independently assign USB 7 and USB 8 to various inputs, including guitar, aux, variax, variax mags, and mic. So with the proper cable - a TRS on one end (that's what your instrument takes?) that splits to two TS - you could get the stereo dry signal from your stereo instrument.

In the global settings, you can independently assign USB 7 and USB 8 to various inputs, including guitar, aux, variax, variax mags, and mic. So with the proper cable - a TRS on one end (that's what your instrument takes?) that splits to two TS - you could get the stereo dry signal from your stereo instrument.

Cool, it's possible then, provided that the audio interface works without glitches.

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody.

(sorry for my English, because I'm french).

You're lucky lol, because when I plug the helix spdif on my focusrite scarlett 18i8 card, I have no sound. (imac logic pro)

Where can it come from?

Apparently everything is ok in the settings.
it seems that the helix does not release any sound in spdif.

Thank you for your help.