Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About using the POD HD 500 looper only on instrument not on the vocals

gutosantana

Hi folks, how R you?

Just saw this post on a thread:

"2) Mute my Path A signal (I use for vocals) when I Record a loop, so that I only loop one channel (guitar) and not guitar + vocal. If Line6 would provide us with elegant way to do that (without using up an FX block, such as the ability to Loop on only Path A or B, or to be able to move the Looper beyond just Pre of Post, then this wouldn't be a hurdle."

I was wondering if I can loop only the instrument too but WITHOUT mute and actually STILL using the the vocals. Is this possible? I´m a newbie using the POD, any help are very welcome.

Thanks in advance and best regards from Brazil!

No, unfortunately. As your quote says, the looper cannot be placed in only one path. It can only be placed at the beginning or the end of the signal chain. In either case it records the signal on both Path A and B.

When placed at the end of the chain (post) you do have the option to use the mixer to mute the unwanted signal as described. Another way would be to the use the HD500 FX Loop in the vocal signal path to send your vocals to an external device. Do not send it back using the FX Loop Return jack (or set the Return level to zero). That way your vocal signal will never reach the Looper.

Edit: Just realized hurghanico responded while I was composing. We agree on the workaround (FX Loop) so that's reassuring!

• Upvote 1

if the looper is in post position (ie at the end of the chain) it will record any signal going toward the POD final outputs..

but you can deviate the voice channel by putting the FX LOOP at the end of the voice path, and use the FX LOOP SEND as a separate and unaffected output.

No, unfortunately. As your quote says, the looper cannot be placed in only one path. It can only be placed at the beginning or the end of the signal chain. In either case it records the signal on both Path A and B.

When placed at the end of the chain (post) you do have the option to use the mixer to mute the unwanted signal as described. Another way would be to the use the HD500 FX Loop in the vocal signal path to send your vocals to an external device. Do not send it back using the FX Loop Return jack (or set the Return level to zero). That way your vocal signal will never reach the Looper.

Edit: Just realized hurghanico responded while I was composing. We agree on the workaround (FX Loop) so that's reassuring!

Thanks guys! 

Using this solution could I turn the FX loop on or off to select when I want or not record the vocal signal on the looper too?

Also, can you please send me a patch with this solution as I´m a newbie using the HD 500? 

Thanks again.

I quickly made the following patch "multi out" :

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1752627/

I didn't try it in person, so I'm not 100% sure if it works good for your purpose, probably yes, try it and let me know..

below here you can see its scheme and FS assignments

mc7wic.jpg

if you turn off the FX LOOP you should be able to record also the voice in the looper, but remember that the physical output of its signal will be different

Thanks, man.

I´ll try to connect my POD (right its packed) ASAP and test your patch.

I´ll let you know.

I quickly made the following patch "multi out" :

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1752627/

I didn't try it in person, so I'm not 100% sure if it works good for your purpose, probably yes, try it and let me know..

below here you can see its scheme and FS assignments

mc7wic.jpg

if you turn off the FX LOOP you should be able to record also the voice in the looper, but remember that the physical output of its signal will be different

hurghanico, didnt tried yet, but a have another basic question:

Will not be a problem having to use a P10 output (from the fxloop)  not a XLR for the vocals signal?  There will be a huge loss in quality using this unbalanced output for voice, right?