Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it just me or does Teemah! mix the dry signal?

Inerzia

I'm using the Teemah model to drive a clean amp model and I can hear the dry signal along with the distorted one.
Has anyone noticed this or am I hearing something that's not there?
BTW, before anybody asks: It's a very basic patch, just an amp+cab block and the drive

Other than this..."issue"? I'm enjoying my new Helix  :)  (I got it three weeks ago)

I don't know the real Timmy pedal but a lot of overdrives do this

King of tone Dod 250 even the tubescreamer gives you a bit of dry signal too

Way round it is to use a different model or

Push it into a dirtier amp

Or stack another overdrive into it

I don't think it's common to push them into a super clean amp

What gives these types of pedal their "transparancy" is an internal blend with the unclipped signal

The most prominent pedal I have that does this is a free the tone Giggs Boson. It's actually quite jarring at first but stacked it is one of the nicest pedals you'll hear

If you want a bit more hair on it stack with a fuzz based circuit like the Vermin or a full on over drive like the tube driver

One of the great things about the helix is you don't have to spend years and fortunes on buying patching testing repatching testing repatching etc different pedal/amp combos

One of the down sides though is there is a fair amount of learning involved in doing that .. But the Helix allows you to do it in a single consequence free environment :)

• Upvote 1

The Timmy is a pretty close replica but needs tweaked. I have owned the Timmy and the Tim. They were both mainstays an my board. I seldom used the Timmy alone. It was usually set for a clean boost and always on. It added something that is hard to explain, but was wonderful The line 6 version can do it but needs tweaking. Just pop it in as is and it seems a bit noises to me, something the Timmy never was, but I think it also is very dependent on where it is in your chain so that may have been part of my initial thoughts on it. With a bit of tweaking I seem to have it where it is super close to,the real thing. Maybe identical, I don't know as I sold both of mine. The Tim would sometimes be my only dirt but only when using the extra circuit. The Tim section was still set to boost. I honestly thought that was the best use of a Timmy. Always on. Yes, you could boost it and get a super nice amp break up, like using super hot pickups, but the money was as a mild boost to push things to,the edge. I haven't noticed hearing dry signal but I dent listen for it. I will now.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Hopefully this addresses your issue.

If you are getting a strange dry signal when using an overdrive or distortion pedal, check the input of path 2A.  Select 'None' from the list and the dry signal will not be part of your distorted sound. 

Here's a video from YouTube that addresses this issue in the beginning of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlbM06SlYQY

• Like 1

I came to the same conclusion. I don't know the internal signal path but Teemah! definitely sounds as if it had a dry path. In fact in my notes for "bass usability" I wrote "includes a dry path" but... in reality I don't know. I strongly recommend to try it for bass guitar for this reason, it works on its own really well without the need for dual paths with or without crossover (and their associated drawbacks).

I rarely stack distortion pedals as this can result in a muddy mess. I prefer to gain stage with at least two distortion pedals set at different drive levels, using the amp drive for the third.

Amp drive is the first gain stage, taking the amp from almost clean to almost distorted. What I mean by this is that the drive off isn't quite clean, there's a little bit of hair there. And the drive on isn't quite distorted, its just louder and with a bit more hair. A lot of my tones fit in this range. The drive on setting isn't so distorted that I can't also use it as a lead boost stacked with the distortion pedals. 

Then I use Teemah! for overdrive. I tried them all, this one really does it right for me. It can almost be left on all the time, and use the guitar volume control to set the drive/distortion level. I tend not to do this mostly because its just easier to preset the drive and/or overdrive footswitches. What I like about Teemah! is the ability to cut lows before distortion and highs after. This does what you need most of the time and is a lot simpler than using EQ blocks around distortion blocks.

I use Minotaur for extended distortion tones, keeping the drive up pretty high. I find its slight mid boost helps its distortion cut through the mix without adding a lot of low-end mud or high-end fizz.