Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix as a Audio Interface for Cubase

GAJ52

I have read the manual page 44 regarding using the Helix as a audio interface, but still have a couple of questions.

I record into Cubase with only a Guitar (usually mono) and a Keyboard (stereo).  Obviously I would use the Guitar port on the rear of the Helix and use USB 1/2 to record the guitar part, but how would I 'permanently' connect the stereo output of the keyboard for recording to Cubase via the Helix, and what USB output would I use ?

I need to connect the keyboard via the Helix to Cubase without using any of the Helix effects.

Try connecting your keyboard outputs to Helix Return 1 and Return 2 as a stereo pair. In Helix Global Settings, set the 'dry' USB outputs (Sends) 7 and 8 to be the Return 1 and 2 inputs. Then set Cubase to record a stereo track using Helix USB Sends 7 and 8.

This will send your keyboard audio output directly to Cubase with no Helix processing.

Just tried your recommendation above, one thing I'm not sure on  -  In Global settings, how do I set the USB 7 and 8 to be the Return 1 and 2 inputs, the options are Guitar, Aux, Variax, Variax Mags, and Mic ?

Sorry if I have missed something obvious !

My mistake. I was going from theory, but I remember now encountering the same thing. The Return inputs are not available as the source for USB 7/8. I got around it by using the Aux and Mic (with adapter) inputs. Because these are different levels I had to adjust the L and R signal levels to get the stereo balance right, either at the source (e.g. Panning in the keyboard) or in the DAW.

Sorry for the initial misinformation, but try the Aux and Mic.