Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does the HD500 have an audio taper setting for the volume pedal I'm not seeing?

brue58ski

however, I don't know for which logical reason seems like this, but I noticed that if the Volume FX is placed at the beginning of the chain (ie just after the guitar signal) the pedal volume changes happen somewhat more gradually compared to when it is placed instead after the amp model

Can anyone confirm this (maybe by technical measurement)?

I´m not quite sure, because of the lacks in sound, moving a device in the chain.

The main reason I ask is I try to setup two amps and I use the Volume pedal to switch between them.

Ch Volume Amp 1 Expression pedal toe position is 100%, heel position 0%

Ch Volume Amp 2 Expression pedal toe position is 0%, heel position 100%

So the volume for one amp goes the opposite way of the volume for the other. Problem is the volume change isn't smooth. If I do it slow it doesn't work very well like it did on my X3.

I wish the mixer volume controls could be controlled by the expression pedal.

The main reason I ask is I try to setup two amps and I use the Volume pedal to switch between them.

Ch Volume Amp 1 Expression pedal toe position is 100%, heel position 0%

Ch Volume Amp 2 Expression pedal toe position is 0%, heel position 100%

So the volume for one amp goes the opposite way of the volume for the other. Problem is the volume change isn't smooth. If I do it slow it doesn't work very well like it did on my X3.

I wish the mixer volume controls could be controlled by the expression pedal.

But since the pedal is an audio taper, using the pedal to control the mixer instead of the amps' channel volume would basically be the same thing, or have the same feel to it. I guess it's just one of those things that you have to get used to?

didn't try it in person, but I guess that you could use the PAN FX (pedal linked) after the mixer block to get a smooth transition between the 2 amp models, like a morphing FX..

EDIT:

............or maybe you have to place the PAN FX right at the beginning split point of the two parallel paths..

don't know..  one of the above 2 solutions should work well

Oooooooo. Good idea. I'll try that.

didn't try it in person, but I guess that you could use the PAN FX (pedal linked) after the mixer block to get a smooth transition between the 2 amp models, like a morphing FX..

EDIT:

............or maybe you have to place the PAN FX right at the beginning split point of the two parallel paths..

don't know..  one of the above 2 solutions should work well

I don't see how this would work. A Pan FX will just pan to left or right, not from path A (stereo) to B (stereo).

not sure, that's why I previously added an EDIT part 2 in my previous post where I suggested to try also the pre split position for the PAN FX (in case it works only as a mono PAN block, and not also as a stereo balance)..

it seems that it is a solution that could work fine, time ago mr Digital Igloo gave also this tip in the "The official POD HD tips thread!" on TGP:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/the-official-pod-hd-tips-thread.789894/

I copied and pasted below here this particular tip FYI:

-------------------------------0----------------------------------

SEAMLESS MORPHING BETWEEN TWO AMP/FX PATHS

1. Create a patch with two parallel paths. One might have a clean model with a delay and the other a high gain model with a fuzz.

2. On the mixer block, make sure PAN A and PAN B are both set to 0%.

3. Place the Pan model right at the beginning split point of the two parallel paths.

4. Highlight the Pan model block and double-press MOVE. Assign:

- 1) PARAMETER to Pan

- 2) CONTROLLER to Exp 1

- 3) MIN VALUE to 0%

- 4) MAX VALUE to 100%

5. Press VIEW to return to the main page.

The expression pedal should now morph between two completely different sounds, all within the same patch.

Ahh. Makes sense now. Essentially one path will be muted.

But how would this be different than just controlling each amp's channel volume? The physical controller will still be the same, unless there's something vastly different about a pan fx?