Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Updater Software update to 1.07 goes terribly wrong

mileskb

So this happened on two completely different laptops.

After clearing all the Helix apps off the PC's (due to the problem I'm about to explain) I install Helix which installs the drivers, helix app and updater 1.04.

I run the updater.  It immediately states it needs to be updated to ver. 1.07.   Here where it gets wierd.

1. If I update it to 1.07...  it no longer can be loaded.  In Task manager is shows up, but using 0% CPU and 10.9 MB RAM and it just stays that way.  It never opens.  Reboots, reinstalls... same result, two computers.

2. If I ignore the updater update, and just use the Updater version 1.04 that downloads/installs with the installer...  It opens just fine, sees the helix unit and allows me to update to whatever firmware I select.

Bottom line.  the "Updater ver. 1.07" does not work on at least two windows 10 installs.  One is a brand new (couple of months) ASUS Laptop and the other is an older Samsung Netbook N150 Plus I had been using cause it's small and convenient just to backup patches and do updates.

And to be clear... if I unistall all Helix stuff, and reinstall the version 1.03 Helix APP which installs the Updater ver. 1.04, all is fine I just need to ignor the "Updater needs to be updated to ver 1.07" or else it doesn't work.

Miles

A couple of things to check. Did you download a Windows version or Apple version. Did you download it twice, once for each computer. This would eliminate a bad download. Those are the two items that come to mind. I did get an error several times after downloading three times. The third time i ignored the error, scanned the download for a virus and selected to continue. It loaded without any trouble.

Good luck.

So this happened on two completely different laptops.

After clearing all the Helix apps off the PC's (due to the problem I'm about to explain) I install Helix which installs the drivers, helix app and updater 1.04.

I run the updater.  It immediately states it needs to be updated to ver. 1.07.   Here where it gets wierd.

1. If I update it to 1.07...  it no longer can be loaded.  In Task manager is shows up, but using 0% CPU and 10.9 MB RAM and it just stays that way.  It never opens.  Reboots, reinstalls... same result, two computers.

2. If I ignore the updater update, and just use the Updater version 1.04 that downloads/installs with the installer...  It opens just fine, sees the helix unit and allows me to update to whatever firmware I select.

Bottom line.  the "Updater ver. 1.07" does not work on at least two windows 10 installs.  One is a brand new (couple of months) ASUS Laptop and the other is an older Samsung Netbook N150 Plus I had been using cause it's small and convenient just to backup patches and do updates.

And to be clear... if I unistall all Helix stuff, and reinstall the version 1.03 Helix APP which installs the Updater ver. 1.04, all is fine I just need to ignor the "Updater needs to be updated to ver 1.07" or else it doesn't work.

Miles

Same here on Win7 (prof) Laptop & Desktop. Already posted this (into bug reports). Seems to be a 'real' bug of the 1.07 updater proggy :(

I had problems as well.  Attempted and deleted roughly 4 downloads and it kept saying the file was corrupt. I think it was an Explorer issue.  In the end, I rebooted my computer (Win 7) and accessed the web through Google Chrome.  No problem after that.  Updater 1.07 downloaded and installed and 1.06 installed on the Helix.   

The new updater v1.07 works fine for me on both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Lucky you. I have never had an issue on any Helix stuff until this one. Went back to the previous version. Brand new WIN 10 laptop. Once I got past the signature issues it will not open.

There's another thread about this not working with Windows 10. The solution proposed there worked fine for my Windows 7 PC. The issue appears to be that the updater doesn't behave well if installed over an existing updater installation. So you need to uninstall the updater, then re-install the program.

1. Use Control Panel to Uninstall Line 6 Updater (even if you've already installed the new version)

2. Install the new Line 6 Updater

This worked perfectly for me (didn't even need to re-boot my computer).

It looks like the issue might be that the folder structure changed in this update. Without removing the old version first, the program might be getting confused about which library files to use.

It worked for me right away because I just extracted the archive to a folder and ran it from there, without installing.

• Upvote 1

[...]. So you need to uninstall the updater, then re-install the program.

1. Use Control Panel to Uninstall Line 6 Updater (even if you've already installed the new version)

2. Install the new Line 6 Updater

This worked perfectly for me (didn't even need to re-boot my computer).

A hint like 'uninstall previous software' would then be a great help ;-)

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...