Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch Levels

Cobdog

It would be awesome if Line 6 developers could design an in depth software add on ($$) for HD Edit, to adjust or at least monitor I/O levels. I would assume there are good stand alone downloadable db meters/spectral analyzers out there on the interweb, but having one designed specifically for the POD series would be ideal if not necessary because of all the modeling involved. Rather than opening up third party recording software to analyze levels, which i've found to be mostly crap, you could open up say.... HD500X Analyzer & run it the same time as Edit for seamless, real time accurate I/O level monitoring.

Thoughts ?

Awesome? Yes. Probable? Doubt it.

There's a lot of cool ideas floating around, but I don't think the current HD series will see many improvements, at least not anytime soon

My guess is any improvements will come in the form of a new product in the HD's price class. Also, any bugs remaining in the HD, including the edit software are now as is.

Awesome? Yes. Probable? Doubt it.

There's a lot of cool ideas floating around, but I don't think the current HD series will see many improvements, at least not anytime soon

I wouldn't rule it out if there's money to be made. Especially if it's solely a Line 6 product that can be used on all platforms. This issue has always been the bane of multi-effect pedalboards, every one I've ever owned anyways.

In my case, pairing the POD with my Variax and it's modeling capabilities has definitely compounded the issue 10 fold.

How hard is it to listen to what you are playing, and decide "this is too loud, let's turn it down" 

Always making things more complicated than they have to be. Next you're going to tell us that you actually use your fingers to form chords instead of one of these:

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Edit: Actually, this type of comment does not do anyone any good. My apologies. A software based metering component that could be placed anywhere in the signal chain could make things much easier to craft tones, but requested updates for the HD series are probably never going to be implemented in HD devices.

Edited by CipherHost

Edit: Actually, this type of comment does not do anyone any good. My apologies. A software based metering component that could be placed anywhere in the signal chain could make things much easier to craft tones, but requested updates for the HD series are probably never going to be implemented in HD devices.

Might not help, but it happens to be the right answer. Balancing volumes is brought up constantly, but for the life of me, I don't understand why...we all have two level meters, one on each side of our heads. It's not the Manhattan Project. Too loud? Turn down. Can't hear yourself? Turn up...hit "save". Provided that this is done at the volume you intend to use the patches in question, it only has to be done once...maybe with the occasional tweak here and there.

• Upvote 1

Next you're going to tell us that you actually use your fingers 

Believe it or not, I was actually going to make a crack about having L6 make a device that moves my fingers for me so that I am always playing the right notes. 

And then that turned into a snide remark about how making tone is one of the differences between the garage bands and the arena bands.

But I didn't want to go there. So I left it at what you saw. 

I use technology as a tool, not as a crutch. There are some basic skills that you can't learn by watching a 4 minute video on YouTube. You just have to have years of experience. 

• Downvote 1

How hard is it to listen to what you are playing, and decide "this is too loud, let's turn it down" 

Well.... ummmm.... let me see...... When you play a variety of music using a variety of amp models and a variety of different guitar models over 23 different patches for a 31/2 hr. show, on different stages 3 weekends a month like i do, it's not as simple as that. I wish it was. Sometimes i think a patch is going to be too loud/quiet so i dial it down/up, use it at a gig & it's lost in the mix or completely over the top. I learn and play practically everything from ear with a little help from tab, and have for 35 yrs, so i don't have a problem with my hearing whatsoever. I just think a good stand alone db meter/analyzer for I/O levels is an excellent, if not necessary, starting point for patch levels. If they can make my electric sound like a 12 string acoustic in open G by stepping on a button or flipping a switch then

what's the issue ?

Might not help, but it happens to be the right answer. Balancing volumes is brought up constantly, but for the life of me, I don't understand why...we all have two level meters, one on each side of our heads. It's not the Manhattan Project. Too loud? Turn down. Can't hear yourself? Turn up...hit "save". Provided that this is done at the volume you intend to use the patches in question, it only has to be done once...maybe with the occasional tweak here and there.

I'd rather not do that in the middle of a guitar solo in front of 700 people thanks. Nevermind what it does to your bandmates.

A solid starting point BEFORE you get to rehearsal or a gig, is all i was suggesting.

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not, I was actually going to make a crack about having L6 make a device that moves my fingers for me so that I am always playing the right notes. 

And then that turned into a snide remark about how making tone is one of the differences between the garage bands and the arena bands.

But I didn't want to go there. So I left it at what you saw. 

I use technology as a tool, not as a crutch. There are some basic skills that you can't learn by watching a 4 minute video on YouTube. You just have to have years of experience. 

The same could be said for people skills, of which, so far from what i can tell, you have none. Forgive my assumption, but i feel that comment is directed at me, & it doesn't get any "snider" (i know, not a word) than that.

• Upvote 1