Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FR for SD Memory Card extender box with WI-FI and (Trio+ features?)

d0stenning

I just updated my suggestions for an add-on box to Helix that would contain an HDSC SSD card slot to allow for much more powerful looping features ( even like in the new Digitech Trio+ maybe ? ) so that it includes WI-FI too.  Here is the link and description of my suggestion in full:  

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Extend-Looper-capability-with-add-on-unit-w-SDHC-memory-card/802351-23508

Manufacture an add-on device - say a second Swell pedal - or a foot-controller-extension WITH a built-in slot for an SDHC card on the side and a USB socket to be connected to the main Helix ( via USB of course ).  If necessary some kind of USB-Splitter thing could be built-in so that while this SDHC extender pedal is connected to the main Helix the Helix can still connect over USB to any other device - say a computer or iPad etc.. for audio etc.  

This "extender" box could ALSO finally incorporate WI-FI built-in in order to finally allow the Helix to be controlled. programmed and managed over Wi-Fi - by for example an iPad. 

The Helix Looper software could then be modified significantly to support very advanced types of Looper functionality  - making use of the storage of the SDHC card - accessed over the USB connection.

The current Helix unfortunately does not have an SDHC card slot - which would have allowed Helix to have much more power due to the vastly increased storage capacity of such 1GB+ memory cards - easily available and cheap.  The new breed of looper pedals are now supporting such SSD based cards and they allow not only for minutes to hours worth of Looping/recording time - but extend features such as playing backing tracks - multi tracks -  and more importantly - allowing SEVERAL SEPARATE LOOPS to be built-up and triggered independently.

Having had the Helix for only a short amount of time - the sheer power and user-friendliness of the LCD Scribble-strips above each pedal  only makes me want even more pedals-with-LCD-Scribble-Strips.  So I think another way to add my "SDHC extender unit" to the Helix product range would be to produce an add-on foot pedal controller unit -  similar to  say the HELIX CONTROL  - but maybe with less switches ( 4, 8, whatever ) and maybe with a swell pedal - AND containing that vital SDHC slot. 

And then of course - in future Helix models -  Helix II -   such a SDHC slot ( and functionality ) can simply be built into the main Helix unit itself - to make Helix into the end-all of Loopers   as well as multi-fx boxes !

Why does everyone wanna add Bluetooth and Wi-Fi into a performance setting? Of all the other possible trouble-shooting issues...

WiFi I can't really see as being a major value, though some may find it useful, however Bluetooth streaming for backing tracks, etc. would be a nice addition and if the new editor would allow changes via Bluetooth connections that would be pretty sweet....I don't need it at this point because I have this capability with my Gemini 2 cab and it's one of the best things I've ever used for practicing, learning songs, and doing solo performing where I want to have the Helix mixed with a band from a backing track....don't know how Mission Engineering has their streaming and modeler input setup in their interface but the Bluetooth audio and Helix mix perfectly and it truly sounds like you are right in the middle of a live band.  I've shown my rig to guys that do a lot of solo gigs and they are now looking at putting the same setup together for themselves....