Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

SOLVED!!! Is there any hope the Helix hiss problem will be fixed with a firmware update?

JamzOR

Hey all,

My Helix is up to date, and I like pretty much everything about it...except the noise!

I have a completely line 6 setup for live applications. M20d mixer, stagesource speakers...

This rig was dead silent until Helix showed up. My HD500 and HD500X were both SILENT.

Helix, even when turned down completely, introduces hiss throughout the system, mains and monitors. Mute the Helix channel on the mixer? Silence.

It doesn't matter which outputs I am using on Helx, they are all equally hissy. Models have no affect on the amount of hiss. Noise gate fully engaged, still hiss. In other words, it's purely the Helix outputs.

What is the problem here?!

I am running Helix Rack through an M20d and Stagesource speakers. I have no hiss from Helix. I have the M20d phantom power off and I am using the Helix XLR outputs set to Mic level. M20d channel settings for the Helix inputs uses factory preset HD500; trim is set to zero; channel volume at unity; Stagesource speaker volume notched; Helix master volume set to suit (generally a bit less than 50% = 12 o'clock in home studio).

• Upvote 1

I have the same problem with the noise floor. Very noticeable hiss - never goes away - volume all the way down, phones down, XLR out's set to Line - or Mic - same results . . .

I am going into a very large and relatively new Yamaha Digital board in the main worship center- no one else has the issue, by process of elimination , it is the Helix. Shows  up in the house, floor monitors, and our myMix IEM's. 

The tech team  folks and I are going round and round - I am about to the point where I can't use it in the worship service which is a deal breaker for me .

I had hoped the 1.0.6 software update would help - but no luck. I also have tried to use this as a USB Audio interface to my MAC for DAW use. Unsat.   

Any ideas ? its more like white noise - not 60 hz AM hum mod . 

I have the same problem with the noise floor. Very noticeable hiss - never goes away - volume all the way down, phones down, XLR out's set to Line - or Mic - same results . . .

I am going into a very large and relatively new Yamaha Digital board in the main worship center- no one else has the issue, by process of elimination , it is the Helix. Shows up in the house, floor monitors, and our myMix IEM's.

The tech team folks and I are going round and round - I am about to the point where I can't use it in the worship service which is a deal breaker for me .

I had hoped the 1.0.6 software update would help - but no luck. I also have tried to use this as a USB Audio interface to my MAC for DAW use. Unsat.

Any ideas ? its more like white noise - not 60 hz AM hum mod .

Is the phantom power for your channel on? That's most likely what's causing the issue.

If the phantom power can't be turned off, use the Helix's 1/4" outs instead of the XLRs.

NOT PHANTOM POWER ISSUE. It happens when I run into my DAW system as well.

I have explored all so called KNOWN causes of hiss in Helix. It's not any of them.

As phil335 said, exactly. This is ALL Helix. WHITE NOISE. At any volume, any setting, clean channel, distortion channel, all amps, all effects, in tuner mode, no matter what.

I have 8,800 watts of StageSource speakers running off my M20d. 8,800 watts of white noise hiss. Until I mute Helix' NON PHANTOM POWERED channel on the mixer.

Also, as I explained in my original post, it happens in all output methods, 1/4" / XLR..... I have read up extensively on the matter, and tried everything. I will however check that I'm using mic level on my XLR outs. Still find it odd, if not pathetic, that there is no hard fast KNOWN absolute solution by now.

By having faith that this would be remedied with a firmware update, I have slid right past my return window with my vendor.

I sure hope Line 6 is willing to take it back and refund my money if a solution is not forthcoming, soon!

So far all I can tell anyone in the market is to beware of Line 6 and their shoddy post buyout by Yamaha equipment.

And I repeat....HD500....SILENT.

System fully CRANKED. SILENT.

Who tried to fix a circuit that wasn't broken??

Can you guys tell I'm annoyed yet? :)

Sucks to have audio issues. My helix is dead quite. Interesting things happen when different equipment is connected. When I connected to the board, I used get a weird noise. I found it was the bass amp DI to the board. They didn't play well together. Isolated one of them and silence.

JamzOR, maybe and hopefully you can find another Helix nearby and test it out to see if it's all Helixies or if you got a bad one.

Well, of course it's possible that your device is somehow faulty. The only known hiss issue comes with phantom power. Since you've ruled that out, and since other devices (mine for one) don't have this issue - it sounds like it's your device, not all devices.

Have you opened a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 on a resolution?

I'm considering ordering a new one to test that very theory.

What's frustrating is that Line 6 pretends there is no problem.

And a lot of people who are probably apartmnt or bedroom jammers, chime in and claim their units are quiet.

For those guys, try running it at small concert levels and report back to me.

Well, of course it's possible that your device is somehow faulty. The only known hiss issue comes with phantom power. Since you've ruled that out, and since other devices (mine for one) don't have this issue - it sounds like it's your device, not all devices.

Have you opened a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 on a resolution?

I did call Line 6 and have them TRY to help me and the rep acted like it was the first he'd ever heard of such a thing.

Then I had the call get dropped and didn't feel like waiting 30+ minutes on hold again... Especially after dealing with someone who was basically fumbling for ideas himself...

Try the support ticket route. I know you're frustrated, but I think you need Line 6 tech support and the asynchronous support ticket system will give people time to review things and do some research before responding, rather than having to respond in real time to a (perhaps?) frustrated customer.

btw.... I just tried setting my XLR Out level on Helix to Line. The only difference is the expected increase in volume. No noise was introduced. So I don't think your problem is just the setting.

Also.... although I have not yet gigged with the Helix I have run it at very loud levels through the M20d/Stagesource system in my home studio. It's in the basement of a detached home and I've had it so loud my ears are ringing when nobody else is home. No hissing noise.

I did call Line 6 and have them TRY to help me and the rep acted like it was the first he'd ever heard of such a thing.

I sympathize with ya, and know it's not going to make you feel any better, but this response is Commandment #1 in the Warranty Repair Customer Interaction Bible: "Thou shalt feign surprise, and speak no ills of The Product, lest ye be Judged". ;)

Never, under any circumstances will you describe your problem, and then hear: "Hold on a sec...We've got another one, Lou!"...

Oh, I was a perfect gentleman on the phone. I fully expected them to have an answer for me.

Fortunately for me, I got a clue from one of you helpful guys that has made a noticeable improvement. Set XLR outputs to Mic!

It turns the level way down, but when I cranked it back up to match what it was previously, the noise floor stayed down!

Would have been nice if the rep had that answer for me weeks ago.

Thanks guys! And especially ColonelForbin!

Not sure why setting a Line device to Line would cause the noise, but it is much quieter set to Mic.

I feel much better about my purchase now :)

But, I hope this info is passed along to the support guys for future QUICK help calls!

• Upvote 2

It might also have something to do with your M20d channel settings, especially the Trim level. You may have chosen a factory preset that is expecting Instrument level rather than Mic (both of which are different than Line level).

You say the noise floor is better now. But I think you should have virtually no noise.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Experiencing the same issue—here are my variables...

SYMPTOMS:

• High Noise-Floor / Hissing through all outputs

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

• I've tried multiple Line 6 Wireless Units (multiple: G10, G30, & G55)
  • I've tried multiple instrument cables
  • I've tried multiple inputs
  • I've tried all outputs at both Mic & Line levels
  • I've tried multiple XLRs and 1/4 cables for output
  • USB connection makes no difference
  • I've tried tons of amp models (same issue even when clean or in an empty patch)
  • I've tried multiple HELIX units entirely (both rack and floor models never been used in the same place prior both running on current firmware)
  • I've updated firmware to latest release on both HELIX models (2.82)
  • I've tried HELIX native (latest version)
  • I've tried multiple power cables
  • I've tried multiple power conditioners
  • I've tried multiple physical locations: my house, a professional recording studio, multiple music venues including a new music venue constructed for the sole purpose of professional live sound, a newer church building, also constructed with proper grounding and built for live audio. No change.
  • I've multiple guitars (Ibanez RGA, RGD, and PRS Custom 24: Dimarzio Fusion-Edge and Bareknuckle Aftermath/Cold Sweat & PRS stock pickups). All guitars properly wired. No ground issues. Sound happens regardless of if I'm touching strings or connected metal hardware. Sound happens regardless of guitar volume position.
  • I've tried running into QSC power amps, multiple DAWs via multiple UAD Apollo Twin interfaces, multiple computers, Electrovoice Live X powered speakers. No change to noise.
  • There is no difference in the noise when I am physically rotated one way or another in any given room. The entirety of my Ibanez RGD electronics cavity and covers are painted with conductive paint. PRS custom 24s are air-freaking tight stock. This is not an EMI issue with the guitar. Noise persists regardless of if a guitar is even plugged in.

I wanted to troubleshoot the motherfricking heck out of this issue before creating a ticket with Line 6, so I could have relative certainty that I've tried everything I can before complaining. But this persistent noise is beyond me. It is SO loud whenever I'm using a moderate high-gain tone that even with an input gate and noise gate engaged, the noise causes a very audible harshness in my tone and makes HELIX basically unusable for a recording or live setting. I had never experienced this issue in my memory and I can't determine exactly when this issue started, because I had originally attributed it to a simple explanation like 60-cycle hum via EMI or a ground loop.

Please help if you have any further information on what could be happening with HELIX. Thank you!

Jesse

ARDENT

www.ArdentBand.com

On 10/21/2019 at 4:00 AM, jesseadamwilson said:

Please help if you have any further information on what could be happening with HELIX. Thank you!

Hi Jesse,

Firstly, this is a forum of Helix users, very occasionally a member of Line 6 staff may chime in on a discussion, but this issue could be beyond our scope. I for one have not experienced the thing you describe in the 4 years of owning and using my Helix floor unit. After looking at the extensive list of things you have tried, I feel that I must agree with “crusinon2” and his comment above. This seems to be so complex it would probably be the best idea to raise a ticket with Line 6 Customer Support.

Oh, yeah, there are a couple of things in your test list, that really are inexplicable. You have bulleted these points:

• I've tried multiple HELIX units entirely (both rack and floor models never been used in the same place prior both running on current firmware)

I fail to comprehend how this is something due entirely to your Helix, because you have stated you have tried multiple units. Then you mention that you also are experiencing the identical noise problem with Helix Native - that defies logic as it is software running on a different hardware platform. That makes no sense at all.

I have no no doubt that you are experiencing something extraordinary and I really do recommend that the best option would be to give it to the Line 6 technicians and let them solve the problem. There are many thousands of Helix users without any issues - instead of suffering, get it fixed ASAP and join the fun.

Regards and good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2019 at 9:00 PM, jesseadamwilson said:

SYMPTOMS:

• High Noise-Floor / Hissing through all outputs
  • I've tried multiple HELIX units entirely (both rack and floor models never been used in the same place prior both running on current firmware)
  • I've updated firmware to latest release on both HELIX models (2.82)
  • I've tried multiple power cables
  • I've tried multiple power conditioners

Have you tried it with other Helix users who are happy with the unit to see if they hear the same problems you do? 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Have you tried it with other Helix users who are happy with the unit to see if they hear the same problems you do? 

The OP doesn’t mention, but I also was wondering if he is the only person hearing this phenomenon Tinnitus?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

The OP doesn’t mention, but I also was wondering if he is the only person hearing this phenomenon Tinnitus?

The actual OP was from 2016.... most are now responding to a later post by @jesseadamwilson ...

Until this "single post" user returns for follow up it's impossible to help him. It's been 4 days now since his post... so I'm not so sure he actually wants help. Did anyone visit his bands web site? 

• Thanks 1

Hey guys,

first off, thank you so much to everyone who replied—I so appreciate your help as I try to get to the bottom of this. So nice to not feel alone and crazy. Although I know this is a weird and vexing issue and I’m super confused.

I’ve taken your advice @datacommando and I’m opening a ticket with L6.

@Kilrahi, yeah! The Floor Helix model I borrowed was my buddy’s both of us have used helix respectively since 2015 and I love the platform. It’s just weird that we’re both listening to our units in the studio and other locations like “what the heck, why is that ringing/noise floor that high!”

I think it’d be super helpful for me to send a sound clip and an visual EQ readout of the noise, so I’ll do that ASAP here while I’m getting it sorted out!

I know it sounds crazy, but with all the troubleshooting I was doing, I thought it might be a Helix platform issue vs. just hardware since the noise occurs across both the physical units and Native which are now sharing the same core architecture since the big update this year. Honestly, I’m just in over my head and my most likely culprit is a ground loop right now. I’ll send a reference clip ASAP.

thank you all again!!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, codamedia said:

The actual OP was from 2016....

Hi codamedia,

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused. I actually did know that this was really a "zombie thread" (it was already marked as solved), but my reference to the OP was meant to indicate the resurrectionist who had dug it up again.

Anyhow It looks like Line 6 technical crew will have to solve this one. Strangest thing I've encountered for a while.

;-)

2 hours ago, jesseadamwilson said:

It’s just weird that we’re both listening to our units in the studio and other locations like “what the heck, why is that ringing/noise floor that high!”

Hi again,

Now I'm really confused!

From your comment above it is not just your unit that is suffering from this "noise" issue.

It maybe worth getting your friend to have his Helix checked out at the same time.

• 2 months later...

New Helix user here. Having a similar issue. Didn't have the issue until I started using XLR output and "mic in" for my microphone. With the guitar alone using guitar in and the 1/4 output, I hadn't noticed an issue. 

I checked the phantom power and it was already off.

I changed the XLR output to Mic instead of Line, and as the original poster said, it did decrease the noise by probably 80%. But there is still a noise, and I feel like it should be silent or at least closer to it. 

If I unplug the cord from the XLR output, it goes away. There is then still a tiny (but really very small in comparison) noise left, which goes away if I then unplug the 1/4 output that my guitar is using.