Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What is the typical software release cycle for Helix?

jshimkoski

There wasn't anything "typical" with HD 500, so who knows.

I do know they have some grand plans and ideas they want to do, and I also know that they've been totally dumbfounded by the unexpected runaway success of Helix. 

I suspect that we'll see 3 or 4 updates a year for the first year, maybe fewer after that. I'm guessing they may have amp packs for purchase at some point, but for now, they want to add a bunch of amps and effects to this soon. They're on record as saying this.

The 1.0.6 update was awesome just for the Matchless and the Timmy imho... can't wait to see what's next.

That said... never buy a piece of gear for what it might do some day. Buy it for what it can do today. And the Helix can do plenty.

I think you can sign up for email updates at L6, or just follow their facebook feed, but you'll probably hear about it here and at TGP first.

• Upvote 1

We don't even have a schedule, aside from trying to get 1.06 out by the first day of NAMM (which didn't happen).

Well, Helix has already had seven updates, so...

Yeah, that does seem like a rather low number, I am expecting about 2 a season. Give or take around 8 a year. Not counting the initial release of course. 

Maybe more if that is the only way you guys plan to introduce new models of FX/Amps/Cabs to the Helix.

Yeah, that does seem like a rather low number, I am expecting about 2 a season. Give or take around 8 a year. Not counting the initial release of course. 

Maybe more if that is the only way you guys plan to introduce new models of FX/Amps/Cabs to the Helix.

Helix was released September 28, 2015 with FW 1.00.0.

FW 1.01.2—October 2, 2015

FW 1.02.2—October 14, 2015

FW 1.03.0—October 30, 2015

FW 1.04.1—November 23, 2015

FW 1.04.2—December 19, 2015

FW 1.04.3—December 19, 2015

FW 1.06.0—January 26, 2016

So... seven updates across three and a half months is a rather low number?

I quit.

• Upvote 2

I quit.

beatings-will-continue-until-morale-impr

• Upvote 1

My observation has been the better a Line6 product sells, the better the support. Kind of stands to reason from a business standpoint. When they don't sell, you tend to see few or no improvements or firmware upgrades. Case in point, take the Stagescape M20d mixer. There has not been a new firmware release for that product since 9/25/2013, although they did release new drivers so it would work with OS X Yosemite & Windows 10. So the point is, everyone buy a Helix, recommend it to a friend, you 1%'ers buy a second backup Helix! The better this unit sells the more likely we will see new features, new FX/amps, and bug fixes. And btw, the track record on new firmware releases is stellar so far!

I quit.

@ DI, sorry I need to clarify,  I wasn't saying that 7 in 3 months was low. That is actually more than I was expecting before launch.  (I expected around 8 or so a year, after launch, but the more the better) 

I was saying that the 3 or 4 a year that was put forth by PeterHamm is a low estimate. I just may have not quoted that properly.

So no need to quit. ;)

@ DI, sorry I need to clarify, I wasn't saying that 7 in 3 months was low. That is actually more than I was expecting before launch.  (I expected around 8 or so a year, after launch, but the more the better) 

I was saying that the 3 or 4 a year that was put forth by PeterHamm is a low estimate. I just may have not quoted that properly.

So no need to quit. ;)

>HUGS<

Relax...... It seems we are just getting to the good stuff.

For the ones that went out and bought the helix soon after release well we were the beta testers. Looks like we are now getting past that point.

I've had a glitch or two but line 6 has been fixing these pretty well.

Think we got 2 pedals on last update and this new update we have got all kinds of new things.

So we have had some bug/glitch fix updates and now we have seen the 1st great update.

Seen someone up above in a post saying we should buy a 2nd helix........lol people are still lined up waiting on a 1st helix.

Again I read a post above that he bought the helix for what it was.........I bought my helix for what it will be, not the glitchy thing i first got.

the wait paid off as I'm starting to like my helix more.

Cut line 6 a break......... Line 6 wants the helix to be as great as we do and they are on the right track.

I'm happy with my helix it's worth the cost and we are still in the beginning of what it can do.

Great job line 6 crew keep up the good work :)

And thx