Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Re-visit - does anyone not also hope for Auto engage wah pedal

sonikimage

At the beginning this was one of the most requested features I do believe.  Has this been put on the back burner or will this make it in a near future firmware upgrade?  This is something that will help all users across all amp and effect models, therefore I do believe it to be more important of an upgrade than to keep on adding more and more models.

Does anyone else agree or not agree?  With such great forethought behind this whole product and it's beautifully simple user interface, it is hard to believe that this request has been put behind more models apparently.  Don't drop the ball here Line 6!

Just my 2 cents!

Thoughts anyone?

N

• Upvote 2

It would be a nice feature to have, but probably low on the priority list. Although I don't imagine it would be hard to implement.

In the meantime you could toggle it via a switch or the pedal switch (never liked this way myself, I like using a non-pedal switch). Or don't even use a toggle switch and set the minimum for position and mix so that with the pedal in the heel position the wah is essentially off.

Its kind of ironic the most forward thinking user interface in the industry featured in Helix would have come from a company that has ignored the auto start function through so many generations of their foot controlled devices.

And then, as if to mock us, they install a toe switch instead that requires all sorts of cursing and stomping to activate!

(this tough love brought to you Line 6, by one of your loyal followers)

Here's another idea to take from Fractal! How about global patch templates so if you change one element of a patch all patches will change. I create a patch or group of patches for each song (have hundreds of them). That to me is again much more important and useful than ten more amp models!

• 3 months later...

Of course. This is an evidence. We should'nt have to vote for that type of addition. L6 should pick and choose the clever ideas after evaluating effort to implement vs payback. Ideascale should be mostly reseved for additionnal models, amps, effects. Period. L6 should prioritize great ideas when they see it even if it comes for only one person.

I'm a bit dissillusion about the whole expectation business from FW update but hey it's also Monday morning. 

Its kind of ironic the most forward thinking user interface in the industry featured in Helix would have come from a company that has ignored the auto start function through so many generations of their foot controlled devices.

And then, as if to mock us, they install a toe switch instead that requires all sorts of cursing and stomping to activate!

(this tough love brought to you Line 6, by one of your loyal followers)

I HATE that freakin' toe switch. I usually have already played half the phrase that I wanted to use the wah on before I can finally get it to turn on. :(  

And when I'm singing and playing at the same time...it's damn near impossible to get that thing to turn on. 

It's a high priority vote if you use a wah. The Helix rack/controller (only) at least has a toe switch jack, So if you have a MIssion SP1-L6H you can turn off the wah with the toe switch. However, as far as I can tell if you have the Helix floorboard (and have no toe switch jack) your options are limited/no so good. If you only have a wah assigned to EXP2 for example and nothing to EXP1 then you can use the built in pedal's toe switch to turn off the wah. However, if you would want a wah on EXP 2 and a volume on EXP1 you have a problem. I think that you can only assign wah OFF to a floorboard button. And who wants to do that. It's too much tapping. So if you want to use a wah with any other assignment you'll need to get an external pedal and use it for any/most non-wah functions.If there was a heel off option on the wah that would be better. But tricky because built in pedal is not spring loaded. AFAIK for the floorboard there is no other wah solution than to use toe switch to switch to an unused EXP.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like I have mine setup for auto engage?  By assigning the Wah to one of the expression pedal settings and then turning it off in the chain, just by hitting the toe switch it engages.  Has anyone else done this or am I not interpretting the "auto" part correctly?

It's a high priority vote if you use a wah. The Helix rack/controller (only) at least has a toe switch jack, So if you have a MIssion SP1-L6H you can turn off the wah with the toe switch. However, as far as I can tell if you have the Helix floorboard (and have no toe switch jack) your options are limited/no so good. If you only have a wah assigned to EXP2 for example and nothing to EXP1 then you can use the built in pedal's toe switch to turn off the wah. However, if you would want a wah on EXP 2 and a volume on EXP1 you have a problem. I think that you can only assign wah OFF to a floorboard button. And who wants to do that. It's too much tapping. So if you want to use a wah with any other assignment you'll need to get an external pedal and use it for any/most non-wah functions.If there was a heel off option on the wah that would be better. But tricky because built in pedal is not spring loaded. AFAIK for the floorboard there is no other wah solution than to use toe switch to switch to an unused EXP.

Just assign both to the switch with the volume on and the wah off. When you hit the toe switch, the volume will be disengaged and the wah will come on...unless you're using your volume as a master volume, then I don't know how to help you.

I HATE that freakin' toe switch. I usually have already played half the phrase that I wanted to use the wah on before I can finally get it to turn on. :(  

And when I'm singing and playing at the same time...it's damn near impossible to get that thing to turn on. 

Must be just me - I have no problems whatever with the toe switch, quite possibly the smoothest I've ever used.  Lean forward a tad and presto! - wah on.

I wonder what the differences are between units in manufacture?

Must be just me - I have no problems whatever with the toe switch, quite possibly the smoothest I've ever used.  Lean forward a tad and presto! - wah on.

I wonder what the differences are between units in manufacture?

I don't think there are any differences. Here at home on my nice level firm floor with a low-cut carpet, it's not too bad.

Put me on a stage at a club with a rickety floor that gives in certain spots and I'm trying to sing into a microphone and get that last phrase in as I'm simultaneously hitting the "lead" switch and then going over to the "wah" pedal to try and engage that toe-switch while still making eye contact with the audience...THAT is a different ballgame. 

I'm with the people who loved using wah pedals that auto-on when you simply push the pedal down. 

It's hard enough singing, entertaining, jumping around, playing, and dancing on footswitches without the added toe-switch that may or may not come on when you're on an uneven surface of a rickety club stage. :)

It also helps for when you have an external expression pedal without a toe switch. (Considering the toe switch would need to be connected into an extra input on the helix if you did have one with a switch.) Saves that extra stomp -especially important when you're on stage singing and looking out at the audience while trying to avoid looking down to hit the right button.

• 1 year later...

Just a thought; wouldn't it be possible to use an Boss EV-30 to solve the auto engage thing? (I haven't tried that pedal myself yet)
The ev-30 has two separate outputs, and my thought is to make one output turn on the wah block at - lets say value 0,1 / off at 0,0 (or something) , while the other output controlling the sweep?

Has anybody tried this out?

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ev-30/

Just a thought; wouldn't it be possible to use an Boss EV-30 to solve the auto engage thing? (I haven't tried that pedal myself yet)

The ev-30 has two separate outputs, and my thought is to make one output turn on the wah block at - lets say value 0,1 / off at 0,0 (or something) , while the other output controlling the sweep?

Has anybody tried this out?

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ev-30/

This thread is outdated... Auto-engage was added in firmware 2.10 back in November 2016.

New Features

- Auto Enable/Bypass blocks from EXP 1/2/3 and Variax Volume/Tone Knobs—Processing blocks (such as Wah, Pitch Wham, etc.) can now be enabled/bypassed by simply moving EXP 1, EXP 2, EXP 3, or Variax’s Volume or Tone knob. Press MENU and then Knob 1 (Bypass Assign). Turn Knob 1 (Switch) to select the desired switch. When selecting a continuous controller as a switch, Knob 2 (Position) and Knob 3 (Wait) appear.

- Bypass Assign > Position—Position determines the location in the Exp Pedal or Variax knob’s travel where the block is engaged. For example, if set to 1%, the block will turn off as soon as the pedal is moved to the heel position. If set to 99%, the block will only turn on when the pedal is moved to the toe position. To swap the on/off state regardless of position, press the BYPASS button.

- Bypass Assign > Wait—Wait determines how long it takes after the Exp Pedal or

Variax Knob is moved below the Position location before the block turns off. For example, you may not want the Wah to turn off instantly every time you hit the heel position during your big funk solo. Also, does your song really need a big funk solo?

• 2 weeks later...