Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Master Volume Pedal

mileskb

I saw in a video, at least I think I saw... some trick so that the pedal if some setting is set to global, is always a volume control.

Did I imagine this, or does someone know how to do this.  I remember when I saw it thinking that "oh this is easy to remember" and well... so much for that.

There is a global setting, but... it means that when you go to a new patch, instead of remembering where your EXP pedals were when you saved the patch, it sees where they are right now and uses that value.

There is not a master global setting that makes an EXP always a volume pedal.

I saw in a video, at least I think I saw... some trick so that the pedal if some setting is set to global, is always a volume control.

Did I imagine this, or does someone know how to do this.  I remember when I saw it thinking that "oh this is easy to remember" and well... so much for that.

There is a global setting, but... it means that when you go to a new patch, instead of remembering where your EXP pedals were when you saved the patch, it sees where they are right now and uses that value.

There is not a master global setting that makes an EXP always a volume pedal.

The setting PeterHamm is referring to is in Global Settings --> Footswitches.  Set the "EXP Pedal Postition" parameter to "Global". This will at least ensure that any patch with a volume block is reflecting the position of the expression pedal rather than just the preset's overall volume. Of course the preset's overall volume does factor into the position of the expression pedal regardless.

So guys and gals, you have to have a volume block for the expression pedal to work globally? I take it that you can also place that volume block before a reverb or delay right?

The pedal won't work globally. But there is the global option mentioned earlier, so that every patch that has a volume block in it will be affected by that option. You can place a volume block anywhere you want. In fact, if you wanted thirty-two volume blocks in one patch :D , you could do that too, although there'd be no room for anything else.

You guys would be surprised how many people hate global blocks, as they eat up DSP that could be used for other things. The number one request we received about the looper was the ability to remove it so it doesn't waste DSP, a footswitch, and a block location. Hmm... Guess I like loopers more than most.

Global EQ is the exception. It's always available.

If going through the model list to add a Volume pedal is annoying, you can always copy and repeatedly paste it into all your presets from the Action Panel. Way faster.

The pedal won't work globally. But there is the global option mentioned earlier, so that every patch that has a volume block in it will be affected by that option. You can place a volume block anywhere you want. In fact, if you wanted thirty-two volume blocks in one patch :D , you could do that too, although there'd be no room for anything else.

You gotta have control issues to want to do something like that!  Hahahahaha!

• Upvote 1

Or... there's another idea...

Stay with me a second...

For some guys (this used to be me on the HD 500, btw), it just makes sense to get a conventional volume pedal (a buffered one if you'd like) and put it before the input on Helix!

I know, it doesn't make sense for everyone (I want drive pedals before it sometimes), but it might be a great low tech solution for some.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

Stay with me a second...

For some guys (this used to be me on the HD 500, btw), it just makes sense to get a conventional volume pedal (a buffered one if you'd like) and put it before the input on Helix!

I know, it doesn't make sense for everyone (I want drive pedals before it sometimes), but it might be a great low tech solution for some.

I've never found a "virtual" volume pedal that feels and responds like my old (early 90's?) Ernie Ball, so yep, that volume pedal has moved from rig to rig over the years, always right at the very front.  

• 8 months later...

Help! 

I have:

Variax guitar with cable connected to Helix.

Preset with two paths. One with Variax magnetic. The other with Variax (Acoustic).

I want to be able to fade in/out between the acoustic & the Magnetic using volume control.

I remember seeing a video with something similar but can not find it anymore.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

FranieB

Help! 

I have:

Variax guitar with cable connected to Helix.

Preset with two paths. One with Variax magnetic. The other with Variax (Acoustic).

I want to be able to fade in/out between the acoustic & the Magnetic using volume control.

I remember seeing a video with something similar but can not find it anymore.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

FranieB

I just answered you on the fb page if you haven't seen.

• 2 years later...

I like the global application of the Volume Pedal block. The issue I've run into is that as soon as I unplug the expression pedal all my presets go to zero in the volume pedal block, so the HX is now dependant on having an expression pedal plugged in to make any sound at all. Rather annoying as I don't need this on every gig.

1 hour ago, vccguitar said:

I like the global application of the Volume Pedal block. The issue I've run into is that as soon as I unplug the expression pedal all my presets go to zero in the volume pedal block, so the HX is now dependant on having an expression pedal plugged in to make any sound at all. Rather annoying as I don't need this on every gig.

When you save them, save them with volume on full. Problem solved.

• Like 1

Yeah, that made sense to me as well and I tried it repeatedly, however it doesn't work. When my expression pedals are set to Global unplugging the pedal always returns the preset volume pedal to zero, regardless of any saved state prior. Every preset goes to zero.

The only solution I've found is on occasions when I don't plug in the expression pedal I can go to global setting>Expression in invert the expression pedal. The result is all presets go to 100 instead of 0, This means when I go back to using the expression pedal I have to reset it to normal, or it works in a backwards fashion.

On 2/5/2016 at 9:04 PM, PeterHamm said:

Stay with me a second...

Yup; that's exactly how I have my HX stomp board set up! The Hx is my fx loop stuff in my amp rig; but with one extra patch cable from Timmy to volume pedal; change up to direct presets; and have all my pedals in front of HX. 

Love this little monster! I have my full Helix at home; but this rig is getting alot more use lately..

I didn't want to use an fx block on the volume pedal; and am using the expression pedal for other things. 

Mission expression pedal; Mission volume pedal.. Good stuff!

The real key is the DMC micro though..

ORCzY4rh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I obligatorily use a volume pedal at the end of the signal chain for all presets. 
General setting is not a suitable solution for me, because it depends on the type of preset which settings I need.
I use the output block configured for Level and set a Min and Max value. (To mute the guitar I use the guitar poti.)
This concept allows me to normalize my sound volumes on the one hand and to adjust the volume change by stroke on the other hand.
Rhythm presets require different volumes than solo presets. Clean presets need to be treated more carefully with regard to volume changes than presets with distortions.

If there is a compressor in the signal path, this can also be taken into account. 
No space is wasted in the signal chain.