Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Garage-Rock tone

toolsquatch

Now we all know by now how Line 6 set out to create professional-grade virtualizations of high-end gear, but I'm seeking to do the opposite (ironically enough): got a Jaguar the other day and I'm looking to do some trashy garage-rock revival/garage-punk tones from bands such as the Hives, a digital approximation of that "blown speaker/slashed cones" sort of tone that screams rock n roll. I got the all-inclusive expansion pack so any amp in the 500X is available, lead me to noise brothers and sisters!

I generally look at the gear the player who's sound I'm going for has then use those in the pod. It's unusual to find a player who uses gear that the pod doesn't have.

It's always down to your ears - I've made a nice trashy tone with dual amps, gibtone overdriven and tweed clean, but it probably won't sound good to everyone's ears! The smaller speakers usually make more of a 'slashed tone' sound to my ears...

Also there is probably something in Customtone you can use as a starting point.

• Upvote 1

I don't know why I didn't think the J-800 was a good start, I mean a lot of the more recent bands have a pinch of AC/DC in their blood and that classic rock tone is a no-brainer XD

I just wish the fuzzes were meatier, they just don't get nasty enough!  :(

You can't unlearn what you have learned.

The trick to sounding like you don't know what you are doing is to act like you don't know what you are doing. 

Instead of doing things that 'sound good', go for things that make no sense... 

Mix and match amps and cabs. Turn knobs to 10. Add a distortion pedal with another distortion pedal. 

Maybe you don't even use distortion, just turn a clean amp to 10. That's how they did it before distortion was invented. 

Think of everything you would do to get a good tone, and do the opposite.

• Upvote 2

You can't unlearn what you have learned.

The trick to sounding like you don't know what you are doing is to act like you don't know what you are doing. 

Instead of doing things that 'sound good', go for things that make no sense... 

Mix and match amps and cabs. Turn knobs to 10. Add a distortion pedal with another distortion pedal. 

Maybe you don't even use distortion, just turn a clean amp to 10. That's how they did it before distortion was invented. 

Think of everything you would do to get a good tone, and do the opposite.

Damn, That sounds like what I do, lol.

Now we all know by now how Line 6 set out to create professional-grade virtualizations of high-end gear, but I'm seeking to do the opposite (ironically enough): got a Jaguar the other day and I'm looking to do some trashy garage-rock revival/garage-punk tones from bands such as the Hives, a digital approximation of that "blown speaker/slashed cones" sort of tone that screams rock n roll. I got the all-inclusive expansion pack so any amp in the 500X is available, lead me to noise brothers and sisters!

Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, High Gain amp Cranked or even a low gain amp cranked. Hammer the hell out of your guitar and back off 'till you can hear some of the main notes, lol.

I know I'm kinda joking but I'm not far from the truth.

Lately, I've been using the Line 6 ToneCore Uber Metal pedal and Zoom MS100BT into the guitar input on the Pod. Then another distortion or boost/dynamic comp of some sort after that, What a mess I can make with that. Nice Mess

Like this https://soundcloud.com/reeleeze/rav-vee-oaley   Not maybe the best example, lol. Anyway the Patch http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1773720/

I recorded with RiffWorks Standard adding some compression in the DAW. I monitored with the Pod's 1/4" analog out into a Spider Jam's Aux input with some compression added in the Spider Jam's aux settings. I run a stereo drum into the Pod's FX Return and mix with the mix setting in the FX loop settings. I usually have a studio EQ at the end of the chain so I can boost the drums if I want more bass etc.etc.

Edited by Brazzy

Distortion, Distortion, Distortion, High Gain amp Cranked. Hammer the hell out of your guitar and back off 'till you can hear some of the main notes, lol. I know I'm kinda joking but I'm not far from the truth.

Listening to some of your soundcloud stuff, you sure do like your distortion. You make some unique stuff. A lot of it could be a good example of garage-rock tone!

You're phrasing of distortion reminds me of Steve Ballmer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhh_GeBPOhs

Listening to some of your soundcloud stuff, you sure do like your distortion. You make some unique stuff. A lot of it could be a good example of garage-rock tone!

You're phrasing of distortion reminds me of Steve Ballmer:

Developers,Developers,Developers,Developers Steve Ballmer Video

WOW​!!! LOL :) That was intense. Thanks Man!

Your music is KILLER duncann!

• Upvote 1

I was fooling around with usng just the full amp models going into a Spider Jam aux in. So I had no effects in the chain at all. I went through all the amps that had enough default volume to use and some pretty good tones to be had here. Then I added a studio eq after the mixer and set the expression pedal to control the gain min= 50% max=75% and went through the rest of the full amp models that didn't have the volume and boosted them with the pedal.

Pretty good amp tones and that's the default settings on the amp. Then I tried just switching the cabs to see which cabs gave more highs, blah blah blah. Worth the time to go through them like this. I never did and I had this thing for years now, lol. Just goes to show I'm always learning something new.

Of course then there's all the deep parameter settings to try,

• Upvote 1