Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A bug I haven't seen a report on (cuts out)

mkparker17

So my Helix is a couple of days old. I updated the software to 1.06.0 and everything was fine. However, today the volume completely cuts out when I play with any force. If I barely touch the strings, the Helix seems to be working, but if I strum them harder, it glitches and the volume will cut out completely.

I have tried multiple cables that I know work, multiple guitars, tried plugging in headphones, and into an amp. I have re downloaded 1.06.0 as well, but nothing has fixed this issue. I have also held down footswitches 7 and 8 while restarting. Any tips?

UPDATE: it seems to work if I plug into the AUX IN, but the GUITAR IN still cuts out.

Sounds like it could be a hardware issue. I assume you have tried this across multiple presets as well. If reinstalling the firmware, doing a global reset, swapping out guitar, cable, and amp did not work, (also make sure you move the expression pedal about), then it may be time to open a ticket with L6.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, I'm also having the same issue with the Helix rack. Tried multiple guitars, cables etc. Doesn't matter what preset is being used. Any resolution? Mine is a second hand unit so no warranty.

This is an old post, but if it's behaving as the descriptions above were, that sounds to me like a broken input jack (cracked solder joint to the board, or something wrong with the jack itself). If it's just a cracked solder joint at the jack, that's a simple fix for a competent technician, assuming you don't want to pay for L6 to fix it.

Can you make the sound cut in/out predictably by putting gentle sideways pressure on the plug in the jack?

Hi querty42,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can re-solder the jack myself, would probably just need a reflow. I was hoping that there may have been an update to he software, although that would be a long shot.

The faulty jack joint sounds the most likely cause.

Much appreciated. I will see what I can do and post the result.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, afs909 said:

Hi querty42,

Thanks for the quick response.

I can re-solder the jack myself, would probably just need a reflow. I was hoping that there may have been an update to he software, although that would be a long shot.

The faulty jack joint sounds the most likely cause.

Much appreciated. I will see what I can do and post the result.

No problem. Before you take it apart though, have you tried a full factory reset? And have you also tried plugging into some of the other inputs (Aux in, effects returns) to confirm it's only the input jack? I'd also try getting a small brush used for cleaning electrical contacts and some 99% isopropyl alcohol and scrub it out, on the chance it might be a dirty jack. If it still does  it after all of that, my guess is solder joint, which should just be a re-flow like you said.