Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External amp switch doesn't work ? help

oliverspark

seems like line 6 is avoiding the issue here. There is a very real problem with helix and channel switching a lot of amps. and for 1500 bucks i think they should offer to repair the problem with the unit and stop blaming the user.

f.y.i....does not work with either of my amps, a diaz cd-100 and a warren haynes special. both use the normal channel input jacks so nothing special here.its just a simple boost switching actually not really a channel switching thing. but for 1500 bucks it should at least perform this simple task.. not happy at all with line 6 support here.

These forums aren't support forums. They are simply user discussion forums. If you have an issue like this, the thing to do is open up a support ticket: http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

It seems that Line 6 has been handling these issues on a case by case basis. I think the reason why they aren't doing some sort of blanket hardware fix is that there isn't necessarily a universal method for switching all amps that will work. I do know they have been working with individuals to sort these issues out when asked, but you have to ask through the actual support system.

• Upvote 1

seems like line 6 is avoiding the issue here. There is a very real problem with helix and channel switching a lot of amps. and for 1500 bucks i think they should offer to repair the problem with the unit and stop blaming the user.

yes...it´s a shame, what l6 is doing here...!!!!

These forums aren't support forums. They are simply user discussion forums. If you have an issue like this, the thing to do is open up a support ticket: http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

It seems that Line 6 has been handling these issues on a case by case basis. I think the reason why they aren't doing some sort of blanket hardware fix is that there isn't necessarily a universal method for switching all amps that will work. I do know they have been working with individuals to sort these issues out when asked, but you have to ask through the actual support system.

do you wanna know how much mails i sent to line6 support...????

line6 is not handling this issue on a case by case basis, it´s simply not handling this case at all...all they do is saying "it may work, but with some amps it seems it doesn´t..."...thanks very much...when i bought the unit it said, it´s switching amp channels!!!

and no - you´re wrong! there basically is one method that switches all the amps...every midi switcher can do it...and everybody knows it´s very simple...using relays...heard of it???

sorry for sarcasm, but i think you should see, how much people are pissed off...sorry! i´d love to see line6 trying to solve my problem, but until now, they´re doing nothing but ignoring us...and once again - they sold us the switching option!!!

• Upvote 1

yes i know this is not a support forum but this issue should have been handled better than it has by line6 for its customers.

I opened a support ticket today but to tell you the truth ,i have had less than stellar results from them over various subjects that they should have given me direct answers to but never did that for me.Im betting they have no real solution to this fix.

My gigrig G2 has no issues doing this simple task and either does my cheap little 10 dollar switch box. maybe they need to contact gigrig and find out how to make this work?

I will be updating what line6 tells me ,from this post.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Same issue here but using a custom Best-Tronic cable for a PRS Custom 50C amp.Getting a buzz when engaged. 

Best-Tronic Cable:
5-pin DIN > Amp
TRS > Helix Ext Amp input

Command Center:
Footswitch 10: 1(tip)
Footswitch 11: 2(ring
Also tried 1 & 2 by itself but same results.

Same issue here but using a custom Best-Tronic cable for a PRS Custom 50C amp.Getting a buzz when engaged. 

Best-Tronic Cable:

5-pin DIN > Amp

Command Center:

Does flipping the ground switch on the Helix help?

• 1 month later...

Does flipping the ground switch on the Helix help?

Best-Tronic Cable:

5-pin DIN > Amp

Command Center:

I just cut the sleeve cable connection soldered in my TRS cable (ground) jjust at the helix end. Manual Ground lift. The loud buzz disappeared.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am looking for a new amp and I liked the DV MARK Micro 50 CMT. I've asked the dealer (Thomann.de) if it was possible to control the channels with the Helix.

Their answer: no, you should use an external footswitch. When I look at the footswitch cable it seems to switch between the Tip en Sleeve of the  (mono) jack cable.

So it looks like another amp can be added to the list of amps that can't be switched with the Helix......unfortunately.

I am looking for a new amp and I liked the DV MARK Micro 50 CMT. I've asked the dealer (Thomann.de) if it was possible to control the channels with the Helix.

Their answer: no, you should use an external footswitch. When I look at the footswitch cable it seems to switch between the Tip en Sleeve of the  (mono) jack cable.

So it looks like another amp can be added to the list of amps that can't be switched with the Helix......unfortunately.

You can configure the Helix with a TRS cable to use dual functionality.  I am doing this right now with my Marshall amps.  It might work for yours too.

• 3 weeks later...

The ext. amp works great with my amp, the new Orange Rocker 15 (so I assume the Rocker 30 works too). I use a mono cable and set the footswitch "Select" to 1(tip). You have to set the amp's channel select to Dirty (not Natural) channel, or it doesn't work. Unfortunately, the footswitch light ring lights up for the Natural channel instead of the Dirty channel. I wish I could switch the polarity of the light ring.

FINALLY got my Helix HX to change channels on my Splawn SuperSport.

Never got my Helix Floor to work correctly. With a TRS cable plugged into the amp, and the tip cable (send cable if you call it send/return) into the Helix, I could get the channels to switch but with an awful hum. Nothing I did would make it go away. Using an Ebtech box was not the solution because by lifting the ground the switching stopped working.

Sold the Helix Floor because I really missed the sound/feel of a real tube amp.

Was hoping the HX switching would work, but same issue.

Then I remembered I had bought a Voodoo Labs MIDI channel switcher years ago. After hours (and I mean hours) of fiddling around, I successfully got the HX to send a MIDI CC command to the switcher and it switches the channels correctly. And the LED on the switcher actually shows the correct channel (Red = Overdrive, Off = Clean).

So I have preset (snapshot) for Clean, and another for Overdrive.

The funny thing is my TC Electronics G-System (which still sounds awesome) had no problem switching channels on the Splawn or my Bogner Shiva.

Anyway, now enjoying the HX in the effects loop. Cool little box, takes a bit more button-pushing to program than the Helix Floor, but still very cool.

• 2 years later...

you can add the Mesa mkV90, PPRS MT15 and Peavey 6060MH to the list of amps that wont work, I've opened a ticket but given what I've read I,ll be going back to axefx and external switcher, not impressed for £1300 , the lads at PMT have been great and replaced the unit but still the same damned issue, not on at all

20 hours ago, jestaudio said:

you can add the Mesa mkV90, PPRS MT15 and Peavey 6060MH to the list of amps that wont work, I've opened a ticket but given what I've read I,ll be going back to axefx and external switcher, not impressed for £1300

Just assuming it will work with your amp does not make it the fault of Line 6 that it doesn't. 

The manual clearly states 2 warnings with the EXT amp control. 

----------------------------------------

IMPORTANT! The Helix device's ability to control external amp channel and/or reverb switching has been tested with many popular amps and heads. Unfortunately this does not guarantee compatibility with all products. Note that, depending on the circuitry of the channel switching jack in the guitar amp used, the EXT Amp function may not operate as expected.

IMPORTANT! Connect EXT AMP 1/2 only to amplifiers that utilize "shortto-sleeve" footswitch inputs. Connecting to any other sort of input could cause permanent damage to both your amp and Helix! If you're not sure if your amp has short-to-sleeve inputs, contact the manufacturer

On 3/5/2020 at 2:18 PM, codamedia said:

Just assuming it will work with your amp does not make it the fault of Line 6 that it doesn't. 

The manual clearly states 2 warnings with the EXT amp control. 

IMPORTANT! The Helix device's ability to control external amp channel and/or reverb switching has been tested with many popular amps and heads. Unfortunately this does not guarantee compatibility with all products. Note that, depending on the circuitry of the channel switching jack in the guitar amp used, the EXT Amp function may not operate as expected.

IMPORTANT! Connect EXT AMP 1/2 only to amplifiers that utilize "shortto-sleeve" footswitch inputs. Connecting to any other sort of input could cause permanent damage to both your amp and Helix! If you're not sure if your amp has short-to-sleeve inputs, contact the manufacturer

All my kit is normal short to sleeve, works fine with fractal fx8 and TC ,