Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Serious Problems Updating AMPLIFi FX100 with Windows

KiPeTroll

Word of advice for every one consider buying AMPLIFi products. Seems like the support for none Apple users is quite limited.

I bought FX100 as it was advertised as compatible also with Android. When I got my unit I found out it was shipped with firmware older than v2.0 so it was not possible to use it with my Android phone. I downloaded the AMPLIFi Utility software and latest drivers form the Line 6 web site and try to update the unit. This was unsuccessful, the update failed almost immediately. I search the support and forum form the Line 6 and found out that others had same problems. There was also advises how to use the USBupdater.exe what I tried and get the same file format error. I was using Windows 7 64 bit desktop PC.

Finally I was able to update the unit with a Windows 8 64 bit laptop what I was able to borrow.

Well, now I noticed that there was new firmware 2.50.2 available. There was now also newer util Line 6 Updater and drivers available. Downloaded them and tried the update with catastrophic consequences. As before the update failed as before but now the FX100 won't start at all it just goes to the flashing preset pedals recovery mode. This once again seems to be the case with some other users also! I somehow believed that these issues would have been resolved already with the new software. Now I have Windows 10 64 bit OS with desktop PC.

I tried almost everything. I disconnected my USB keyboard and mouse, the only USB device connected was the FX100. I used my PC remotely with linux laptop to do the update. This way the update run approx. 25% until failing. I have 2 USB 2.0 ports on front and 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back of the PC. With desktop PC's it is quite common that you have several USB ports. And it actually means that there is internal USB hub in your PC. And it does seem like the Line 6 update utils just cannot handle this kind of situation. With the laptop that I was able to do the update previously had only 2 USB ports on different size. I guess that in this case there was no internal USB hub as it would in case of several USB ports.

It seems like the updater utils are just really really really poorly made software. This problem has been around for years and still this is not fixed. I have to say I am really disappointed with the Line 6 and this AMPLIFi product line. Don't have experience using them with Apple devices, but is seems like those are better supported.

Unless you are Apple user or if you do not have Windows laptop with just single USB ports I would advise you to stay away from this AMPLIFi products they only cause you headache and misery.

I rest my case.

KiPeTroll.... Im sorry you have had such a bad experience. I can say from experience that jumping between operating systems while trying to manage peripheral devices can be tricky at best. And Windows 7 was just ... well... not good. If you want to try it again then consider upgrading to windows 10 or going back to Win7 and starting from scratch. I assume you have tried the factory reset on the unit, if not do that. Instructions are here on the forum. Dump your Amplifi Utility or the USB updater utility.... you only need one of those to make it work and try again. And be mindful of your internet connection. I use saltellite internet and it would not allow me to sustain a connection. I had to go to a friends house who had cable internet to even download the Amplifi Utility. Once mine was updated it worked flawlessly and I could not imagine using anyting else. Just keep in mind that not all of the problems have been Line6 issues. They have been Windows OS and hardware issues. Just got to figure out which it is and go from there. I really hope this has helped a little. I am not a Line6 expert but I am a very big fan of their products. Take care and good luck!

I called Line 6 support and got very good response from two different gents.  I agree with cebreez in particular internet connection need to be stable. even though i heard you can plug a usb2 into a usb3 port I had issues so I made sure to plug into usb2/usb2 when connecting the fx100 to my laptop.  I found an Insignia Flex tablet that so far seems to work fine.   Again my contact with Line 6 was very good.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I tried 2 different desktop computers with Windows 8 and nothing worked. I finally tried my asus laptap with Windows 8 with only one usb port and it finally worked. I think the problem is having multiple usb ports on Windows computers.