Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone tried Korg NanoKontrol or iPad MIDI control apps (e.g. TB MIDI Stuff) with Helix?

d0stenning

Anyone tried Korg NanoKontrol or iPad MIDI control apps (e.g. TB MIDI Stuff) with Helix?

As in tweaking amp and effects parameters from knobs and connecting by USB to the HELIX.

one problem is i'm not sure how to connect this to the Helix USB.

I did play a bit with attempting to send MIDI from NanoKontrol 2 from Ableton - connecting NanoKontrol to my iMac and from there to Ableton - with NanoControl set up in Ableton as a MIDI device. 

As for iPad MIDI control apps - i've used TB MIDI Stuff in the past.

Does anyone have templates or experience yet with using TB MIDI Stuff with the Helix  ?

• 3 months later...

There's not a set MIDI map as far as controlling amp and effect parameters, so templates wouldn't really be all that useful. You shouldn't have any problems assigning certain knobs to different parameters in the Helix. You just do it by going into the controller assign menu (holding down the knob for the parameter you want to control is the quickest way to get there), hitting the "learn controller" knob, and then turn the knob or move the fader you want to use to control that parameter.

I've used it and it works fine. But you do need a USB Host. You can get one for cheap at hobbytronics.com. All you need to do is add a couple of midi ports and resistors to it, and provide a power supply. Then you route like:  nanokontrol ---> USB host ---> MIDI cable ---> Helix.

Speaking of controllers, I prefer the Akai MidiMix because it has a nifty "send all" button that sends the current position of all controls (faders and knobs). That way, you can change presets on the Helix, and then use the send all button to update all parameters from the MidiMix. But the nanokontrol can't be beat for a tiny compact unit at a really low price. 

iPad controllers work great also, you just need a camera connection kit. If you have a Lightning connect iPad, the newer Apple USB 3 connector is great because you can charge the iPad while you are using it.

• Upvote 1

How about this awesome piece of tech as a MIDI controller for the Helix. The Livid Guitar Wing MIDI Performance Controller. It has a wireless USB Bluetooth receiver  that you connect to your computer but I wonder if you could plug the USB Bluetooth receiver into a female USB to standard MIDI convertor cable and plug that directly into the Helix for a wireless connection. Powering the USB receiver would probably be the challenge. If not, it looks like you could pretty easily set up a wired connection with a convertor like the one in the link below. If it proves this can't be used to control the Helix it still looks like it would be amazing to use in conjunction with the Helix.

There are some other great demo videos on the Sweetwater site:

http://www.sweetwate...tail/GuitarWing

Or just wire it directly to the Helix with something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/...s&ul_noapp=true

Soundog above mentioned the need for a USB host in order to connect a Nanokontrol to the HELIX  ** without** needing a computer in the chain. 

I've just discovered theres this thing called USB On The GO - and there are devices for it. In order to plug the NanoKontrol into HELIX without a USB host computer 

This Lindy OTG hub has a socket for external powering so maybe this is it - and might avoid the need to buy one of those expensive iConnectMIDI boxes ?

http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/4-port-usb-2-0-otg-hub-p8430

from the blurb: 

• 4 Port USB 2.0 OTG hub (4 x USB Type A female) with USB Micro-B connector
  • Integrated 13cm cable for connecting Smartphones/Tablets
  • USB 2.0 high speed (480Mbit/sec), backwards compatible with full speed (12Mbit/sec) and low speed (1.5Mbit/sec) 
  • Bus powered with socket for optional 5V DC 2.6A power supply
  • 2 year warranty

"The LINDY 4 Port USB OTG Hub allows you to connect four peripheral devices to your tablet or smartphone without the need for a PC. It can connect external Flash Drives, Card Readers, Keyboards & Mice directly to your handset. Supporting data transfer speeds up to 480Mbit/sec, it is fully compatible with USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and USB On-The-Go (OTG).

Small and light it is ideal for use in BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) offices, mobile workers or simply adding extra functionality to your OTG device.

******An optional power supply also means you can power more demanding devices such as Webcams and bus powered external drives****   "

this will probably do, but as the helix and the nanoKontrol are both USB devices, not hosts, then bus powering is not likely an option?..

Soundog above mentioned the need for a USB host in order to connect a Nanokontrol to the HELIX  ** without** needing a computer in the chain. 

I've just discovered theres this thing called USB On The GO - and there are devices for it. In order to plug the NanoKontrol into HELIX without a USB host computer 

This Lindy OTG hub has a socket for external powering so maybe this is it - and might avoid the need to buy one of those expensive iConnectMIDI boxes ?

http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/4-port-usb-2-0-otg-hub-p8430

from the blurb: 

• 4 Port USB 2.0 OTG hub (4 x USB Type A female) with USB Micro-B connector
  • Integrated 13cm cable for connecting Smartphones/Tablets
  • USB 2.0 high speed (480Mbit/sec), backwards compatible with full speed (12Mbit/sec) and low speed (1.5Mbit/sec) 
  • Bus powered with socket for optional 5V DC 2.6A power supply
  • 2 year warranty

"The LINDY 4 Port USB OTG Hub allows you to connect four peripheral devices to your tablet or smartphone without the need for a PC. It can connect external Flash Drives, Card Readers, Keyboards & Mice directly to your handset. Supporting data transfer speeds up to 480Mbit/sec, it is fully compatible with USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and USB On-The-Go (OTG).

Small and light it is ideal for use in BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) offices, mobile workers or simply adding extra functionality to your OTG device.

******An optional power supply also means you can power more demanding devices such as Webcams and bus powered external drives****   "

this will probably do, but as the helix and the nanoKontrol are both USB devices, not hosts, then bus powering is not likely an option?..

it will need an external  5V 3A  PSU adapter to work.

- see the blurb above: "Bus powered with socket for optional 5V DC 2.6A power supply"   

on Amazon there are plenty the fit the spec and cheaper than the PSU adapter recommended and sold by LINDY.  I'm probably going to order this today and try it out.  If it works-  its a lot cheaper than that  iConnectMIDI box 

That Lindy device is not going to act as a USB host - that's not what it does. The USB On the Go protocol is a protocol used for mobile devices. It allows mobile phones to act as USB hosts or clients depending on how and what they're connected to. With the Lindy device, the mobile device would be acting as a host, and this little device is analog to a USB hub you'd connect to your computer.

That Lindy device is not going to act as a USB host - that's not what it does. The USB On the Go protocol is a protocol used for mobile devices. It allows mobile phones to act as USB hosts or clients depending on how and what they're connected to. With the Lindy device, the mobile device would be acting as a host, and this little device is analog to a USB hub you'd connect to your computer.

yes - and in fact i just realised that a normal USB2 hub connected to the iPad - if it has a TYPE B socket on it for the **UPSTREAM**  port  i should be able to connect the iPad vi camera-kit  to a hub - and then providing it is powered - ought to be able to act as host to more than one device at a time. 

Just cancelled my Amazon order......   thanks phil-m   -  you jogged my tiny brain into action :)

DOH !

OK - so my main USB2 hub  seems to work fine with the iPad as host - with NO computer attached.   i've managed to get MIDI from the 12-step AKAI LPC25 keyboard into Garageband in iPad.  also have the HELIX running into and out of the iPad - via the ( powered )  USB 2 Hub.

My next problem however is that old thorny issue that the volume control in Garageband that normally controls the master output volume of the iPad  is greyed out. This is a known issue - but will experiment with an iOS  app that apparently can be used to mix the audio outputs from several  audio apps at once... 

bit fiddly. 

• Upvote 1