Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax standard sunburst

TomPattyn

Hi, just bought a Variax Standard today.

When I came home I plugged it in my Pod hd500x and started exploring the models. Trying some patches and so on.

Then all of a sudden when using the models no more sound???

Already did a flash reinstall, but still nothing. When i push the knob it's lid but no sound.

Not with the variax cable, not with a jack-cable.

Anyone any ideas? Did I change a setting without knowing?

Kind regards, Tom

Yes it should.

So it may be a case of the modelling knob making contact with the guitar body before being fully depressed. Hence the modeling is not being triggered. Inspect closely to see if this is happening. It's not uncommon although it is a manufacturing flaw.

You could go through the replacement routine but there's actually a very simple fix. Just carefully lift off the modeling knob, jam a little wad of paper into the top of the knob and reinstall the knob, being careful to position it so the readout matches the model selection. This will raise the knob a bit on the shaft allowing for proper engagement.

Anyone any ideas? Did I change a setting without knowing?

That's possible. Were you changing patches when it crapped out? Do some patches on the POD work, or is everything dead? If some work but not others, it's likely that the input on the dead ones are not set to "Variax".

Yes that's normal. I think that's what he's getting at - if the mags are working properly it could be that the 'main board' circuitry (which provides the modeling features) is faulty. Line 6 will advise you through their support ticket mechanism.

Try not to get discouraged. If it is a main board or other hardware failure I'm sure Line 6 will help you get it resolved as quickly as possible.

My first thought is to return it to the retail location where you got it and demand a replacement.

Maybe a stupid answer but:

Do you check your inputs on the pod and set it to Variax-Guitar at input 1 and same or variax mags to input 2

But if you say that it working at the begin and suddently no more sounds, maybe it's because your patches is set to another input

Set variax-Guitar at 1

and Same or variax mags at 2  and make a global preset

But if I follow your lead it can be that I changed settings through the pod and they remain even if disconnected?

No. If your Variax is connected directly to an amp the POD settings are irrelevant. You should hear the sounds of the Variax models through a 1/4" cable connected directly to the amp as long as your Variax battery is good. The only other thing that could be the problem is the 1/4" cable. If you can hear the Variax mag pickups through the amp, but not the models, there's definitely a problem with your Variax.

• 5 months later...

I had a similar thing happen with my Variax 300 and my PODxt Live. I was running with without batteries but had the battery pack in the guitar (not plugged in) put it started making contact with the plug, must have been shorting the signal. If you are not using the battery remove the battery pack.

I know sounds stupid but I didn't want to loose the battery pack so I left it in the guitar unplugged.