Sign in to follow this  
archisc

Stage Source speakers - Horizontal vs vertical

I read somewhere the system automatically cut bass in horizontal position... is that true?

I think they will automatically go into monitor mode if you turn them on when they are on their side.  This can also be done manually but how exactly that affects the EQ'ing I don't recall.  That said this can be over-ridden if you don't like them in monitor mode, just use the button on the back to put them back into PA/Reference mode.

I think they will automatically go into monitor mode if you turn them on when they are on their side. This can also be done manually but how exactly that affects the EQ'ing I don't recall.

It's supposed to reduce the exaggerated low-end coupling that sometimes happens when you lay a speaker on the floor. Whether it happens at all, or to what degree probably depends on the floor, and how much bass you're pumping through to begin with...

Monitor mode definitely does cut the lower end - whether you want to do this depends on what you are after.  I use mine as a monitor but have already cut most of the low end from my guitar to avoid getting muddy with the bass player and drummer  :wacko:

Paul Hindmarsh when has demoing Helix used a pair of L2m on their sides but in PA Ref mode - I checked because the other thing that Monitor mode does is to sum L+R to mono which isn't what you want if you have two of them.

Got it.. I think the consensus is that bass is cut only in monitor mode. I was thinking bass is cut regardless...

thanks everyone 

I will add that since I've been using the L2's for guitar speakers I think they sound better in PA/Reference but with the speaker on it's side.

With the speaker vertical and with the horns dispersion pattern, I get way too much of the high end to my ear.  With the speaker horizontal it sounds much better.

This is really only an issue on stage with the band and the volume up.  Playing at home at more civil volumes I don't really notice a huge difference.

Paul Hindmarsh when he demoed Helix used a pair of L2m positioned as backline on their sides tilted in the 30deg position but in PA/Reference mode.

In monitor position it definitely cuts the low end, quite noticeable at band practice :)

Which mode will sound the most like what I hear through my headphones? I assume PA/Reference

It depends on your headphones!

Studio Headphones then Reference/PA

Consumer Headphones then possibly Playback

Floor Monitor has a bass cut to allow for a stage/room resonating in sympathy and boosting the bass levels

Keyboard, Acoustic and Electric are for back-line amplification of those specific instruments

With a Helix I would always be in Reference/PA

Which mode will sound the most like what I hear through my headphones? I assume PA/Reference

Your ears are gonna answer that for you...not all headphones are created equal. If you're listening through a pair of "Beats", it's likely adding so much low-end that anything else you plug into will sound tinny and brittle by comparison.

You can still manually put it back to PA/Reference mode when it's on it's side.  If you're just running your guitar through it, I'd use PA/Ref.  However a lot of times I'm using it as a monitor for the band with my guitar mixed in, then I usually use monitor.

YMMV.  Again, I've found that where the tweeter is pointing relative to your ear makes the biggest difference at band volume.

Using these as monitors is a secondary purpose. They are primarily a PA system with the speakers designed to broadcast high frequency information for a distance. Up close in the vertical position you'll always get an over-emphasized treble component.