Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rotary joystick knob new operation mode

Paolo_Maina

Create a selectable second operating mode for joystick:

In second mode the rotation is enabled only when the display shows the list of amps and effects or the list of patches.

In the normal navigation screen of a patch the rotation is disabled.

If you want to change an amp of effect in the patch first you push the joystick then select a voice from the list rotating the joystick and push again for confirmation.

I think this is a way to avoid accidentally changes.

If you like my idea please vote for it.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Rotary-joystick-knob-new-operation-mode/805311-23508?submitted=1

• Upvote 1

Create a selectable second operating mode for joystick:

In second mode the rotation is enabled only when the display shows the list of amps and effects or the list of patches.

In the normal navigation screen of a patch the rotation is disabled.

If you want to change an amp of effect in the patch first you push the joystick then select a voice from the list rotating the joystick and push again for confirmation.

I think this is a way to avoid accidentally changes.

If you like my idea please vote for it.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Rotary-joystick-knob-new-operation-mode/805311-23508?submitted=1

I like this idea, because when scrolling through the amp/effect lists and having it automatically change slows the selection process down and makes it cumbersome. Not only that, but if you want to see what's further down the list, off screen, you have no choice but to change the current amp/effect, losing any custom tweaks to that block, unless you remembered to copy that block first. Voted!

I like this idea, because when scrolling through the amp/effect lists and having it automatically change slows the selection process down and makes it cumbersome. Not only that, but if you want to see what's further down the list, off screen, you have no choice but to change the current amp/effect, losing any custom tweaks to that block, unless you remembered to copy that block first. Voted!

thank you

This is a great idea! For months now great ideas have been submitted be they, more clicks before the knob starts changing blocks, a delay before scrolling, a specific mode for blocks to scroll, a press before blocks scroll, etc.. I don't care which one you implement Line6, please just pick one and address this issue. There were people who said "you get used to it after a bit of practice and it is not an issue" and they are the lucky ones with greater manual dexterity and precision than I will ever possess. I have had my Helix for months now and I have not and do not believe I will ever get used to the rotary control's sensitivity. I feel like I have to "tiptoe" every time I navigate through the blocks. I am always one unintentional turn away from ruining a preset I have spent lots of time to develop. A sense of subtle dread and imminent potential disaster like being a crewman on the Nostromo in an "Alien" film looms over every editing session (enormous exaggeration here). Editing could be a stress free walk through a field of amps and effects, editing Nirvana is just ahead, I feel I can reach out and touch it, but NO, disturbing a single blade of grass may change your future (too much?). This is such an unnecessary drawback to a mostly great user interface. Can we please get this done already!

This is a great idea! For months now great ideas have been submitted be they, more clicks before the knob starts changing blocks, a delay before scrolling, a specific mode for blocks to scroll, a press before blocks scroll, etc.. I don't care which one you implement Line6, please just pick one and address this issue. There were people who said "you get used to it after a bit of practice and it is not an issue". Well, I have had my Helix for months now and I have not and do not believe I will ever get used to this. I feel like I have to "tiptoe" every time I navigate through the blocks. I am always one unintentional turn away from ruining a preset I have spent lots of time to develop. A sense of subtle dread and imminent potential disaster like being a crewman on the Nostromo in an "Alien" film looms over every editing session (slight exaggeration here). Editing could be a stress free walk through a field of amps and effects, Nirvana is just ahead, I feel I can reach out and touch it, but NO, disturbing a single blade of grass may change your future (too much?). This is such an unnecessary drawback to a mostly great user interface. Can we please get this done already!

Thank you I wrote "selectable" so anyone can choose the original style or the new style.

For example I prefer the patches sequentially numbered 1,2,3,4 not A1 A2 etc. Some people prefer the other.

Thank you I wrote "selectable" so anyone can choose the original style or the new style.

For example I prefer the patches sequentially numbered 1,2,3,4 not A1 A2 etc. Some people prefer the other.

I agree 100%, many more nimble folk than me are perfectly happy with the way the knob works and they should be able to maintain the current operation. Just looking for an option to help out the rest of us who would like to see it operate differently. I have also had an Idea in Ideascale to offer an alternative to the joystick's behavior for months. I have never advocated changing the joystick's behavior for those who like it, I would just like an additional method or settable parameter that make it more user friendly for more users. I think I may actually prefer your idea to my own and a similar idea already has already been out there for a while.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Option-for-joystick-to-only-scroll-through-models-when-pressed/788231-23508

Below is my old Idea from Ideascale and it also makes the point that the present behavior should be preserved. If you search Ideascale you can see there are other ideas on this topic as well and they have all gathered relatively substantial support. I think we will see some kind of remedy eventually, at the very least the editor will help alleviate this. However, the physical interface is so intuitive and so well designed that I hope they offer us an alternative there as well. Especially because the physical interface is what you will most likely use in a live performance.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-joystick-require-larger-turn-before-effect-changes/788248-23508

This is a great idea! For months now great ideas have been submitted be they, more clicks before the knob starts changing blocks, a delay before scrolling, a specific mode for blocks to scroll, a press before blocks scroll, etc.. I don't care which one you implement Line6, please just pick one and address this issue. There were people who said "you get used to it after a bit of practice and it is not an issue" and they are the lucky ones with greater manual dexterity and precision than I will ever possess. I have had my Helix for months now and I have not and do not believe I will ever get used to the rotary control's sensitivity. I feel like I have to "tiptoe" every time I navigate through the blocks. I am always one unintentional turn away from ruining a preset I have spent lots of time to develop. A sense of subtle dread and imminent potential disaster like being a crewman on the Nostromo in an "Alien" film looms over every editing session (enormous exaggeration here). Editing could be a stress free walk through a field of amps and effects, editing Nirvana is just ahead, I feel I can reach out and touch it, but NO, disturbing a single blade of grass may change your future (too much?). This is such an unnecessary drawback to a mostly great user interface. Can we please get this done already!

All this is so true!! Do something now! 

I agree 100%, many more nimble folk than me are perfectly happy with the way the knob works and they should be able to maintain the current operation. Just looking for an option to help out the rest of us who would like to see it operate differently. I have also had an Idea in Ideascale to offer an alternative to the joystick's behavior for months. I have never advocated changing the joystick's behavior for those who like it, I would just like an additional method or settable parameter that make it more user friendly for more users. I think I may actually prefer your idea to my own and a similar idea already has already been out there for a while.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Option-for-joystick-to-only-scroll-through-models-when-pressed/788231-23508

Below is my old Idea from Ideascale and it also makes the point that the present behavior should be preserved. If you search Ideascale you can see there are other ideas on this topic as well and they have all gathered relatively substantial support. I think we will see some kind of remedy eventually, at the very least the editor will help alleviate this. However, the physical interface is so intuitive and so well designed that I hope they offer us an alternative there as well. Especially because the physical interface is what you will most likely use in a live performance.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-joystick-require-larger-turn-before-effect-changes/788248-23508

I've already voted your idea days ago.

I don't like the first idea