Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Model Question

Atomant669

Hi I've been fiddling with different amp models and it seems like when I select treadplate there is an extra set of control knobs for the 'amp parameters' but whereas for tread plate 'pre' there is only the 'cab parameters'. 

Are these the only difference between 'pre' and non 'pre'. Does 'pre' means preamp? 

Preamp is a real thing. The preamp feeds into the power amp if you're using a full amp model. The page missing, he meant the controls that affect the power amp, which are master volume, sag, hum, bias, and bias excursion; these are missing on the 'pre' version of the amp.

When you're looking to make a tone, try not to think of the pre and non-pre models as the same thing with the only difference being one is missing a power amp. Both versions of any given amp are unique and can sound very different from each other. In fact, now that I think of it, the pre versions might be easier to tweak because you don't have the extra power amp controls.

• Upvote 1

Is there a general guide as to which knob shapes which part of the sound? (Master, Sag, Hum, Bias, Bias X). 

I tried looking into the Pilot's Guide and all it says is that these are DEP's (Deep Edit Parameters). Any links or guides will be appreciated. 

My knowledge in this field is severely limited unfortunately. 

Btw, I'm running my 500X on a L2M stage source and I think it sounds awesome but not so when I plug it into my Backstar HT5R.  

Is there a general guide as to which knob shapes which part of the sound? (Master, Sag, Hum, Bias, Bias X). 

I tried looking into the Pilot's Guide and all it says is that these are DEP's (Deep Edit Parameters). Any links or guides will be appreciated. 

My knowledge in this field is severely limited unfortunately. 

Btw, I'm running my 500X on a L2M stage source and I think it sounds awesome but not so when I plug it into my Backstar HT5R.  

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/  Check this out.

• Upvote 1