Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic VX input problem

KompoTex

HI All

I have been using my VX for couple of weeks and suddenly it started behaving strange. 

I have it mainly for guitar, connected either to my mac, or iPhone. In bot cases syndrome is the same. When I hit the string it is initially silent for a while and then when signal gets lower I start hearing it. When I hit the string very light I can hear it immediately. The same is when I set volume on guitar low to 1-2. Looks like reverted gate which kills everything which has strong signal and passes through low...

Is it a bug or feature and I simply do something wrong?

Cheers, K.

• Upvote 1

Check the input switch on the VX. Make sure it is set to guitar, disabling the mic. It's possible that the mic is active and the mic gain level/dial is set very high. This could overload the mic input circuitry and might cause the device to shutdown for self-protection until the input level decreases.

I am having the exact same problem: When I hit the string, it is initially silent for a second or two and then when the guitar signal input gets lower I start hearing it.  I double checked that my SonicPort input switch is set to guitar as well.  Please help!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having a similar issue with the guitar.is there something I should run it through first before the SonicVX? Or through the head to SonicVX then to speaker? It seems like the signal is coming in hot and it's clipping... putting the volume up on my ipod touch fixed some of the sensitivity issue described in the above posts,but still experiencing it a little still.

• 1 month later...

My Sonic Port VX is working well the past two years, now I am having this same clapping issue, no matter it's connected to the iPad Air or my Mac mini, in any app. 

It seems no one has got this issue solved, this is annoying.

Hopefully Line6 will get the message here.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

My sonic port had been working well for two years but now I have the same problem. I was able to just mitigate the issue using ToneStack go App on my iPad: in Audio preferences, I decreased the audio input level of 30 dB. It's better but it's still clipping.  Here you a rec example. please advise 

test_sonicport.mp3

• 1 year later...

Same issue here. I plugged into my PC, and both the mic functions work fine but when you switch to guitar mode and plug a guitar in it can't handle any guitar's pickups. You need to put the guitar's volume to almost zero, which makes the guitar sound really thin and bad, and that's just not right. Put the volume up to a reasonable level on a guitar and there is silence when you strum, then the audio creeps back as if there was some kind of noise gate stopping it. I have attached a file of me strumming and then you hear what the SonicPort VX is doing to the signal. Same guitar and cable direct to the amp or to any other interface, and you get no issue whatsoever. Would love to know if there is a fix or whether any SonicPort VX with this issue is now an expensive paperweight. It is a shame that nobody has had a definitive answer despite many having had the same problem now. Hope somebody out there has the solution :) Thanks for reading.

200427_0224.mp3

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I realise this topic is a bit old now but I have just had this issue with a 2nd hand sonic port vx that I bought - it worked fine to begin with but then I had the input compression issue you’ve described. I managed to get mine working again by plugging the lead guitar in through the aux in with a stereo 3.5mm to 2 x mono 1/4 inch jack Y lead with the plan being to use this input instead of the guitar input if it solved the issue. After plugging it in this way the guitar input started functioning as normal again. Unfortunately I can’t replicate the issue now to see if the fix works a second time but hopefully it may help someone else (if you haven’t all already binned your expensive paper weights!)