Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering an Amplifi...Need honest opinions

Hawkscoach44

I'm a new member in this forum and need honest opinions. I am about to purchase a Line 6 amp and am considering one of the Spider lines or the Amplifi. I really wanted to be the amplifi 75 but after reading lots of posts on glitches, I am now reconsidering. I don't want to purchase something that I can't use. Thoughts?

Hi Hawkscoach, I have just recently purchased an Amplifi 150. This needed the firmware updating straight away, and was a bit hit and miss to start but now has sorted itself out and is great. No problems upto now and sounds great....will take forever to discover whats in there with all the FX and tones. Do it!!!

• Upvote 1

Hi Hawkscoach. I have a Amplifi 75. Had it for about 3 months. I'm very happy with it, but I did do all the upgrades etc straight away before using it. I'm lucky my better half is a software developer so she understood the tecno geek stuff, but I think with some reading of the forums and help stuff etc, I could have done it ok too. You are right to be careful making your decision, I've read a lot of complaints too, and I feel a little lucky I haven't had any problems to date. Good luck with whatever you choose. JpW.

Hi Hawkscoach. I have a Amplifi 75. Had it for about 3 months. I'm very happy with it, but I did do all the upgrades etc straight away before using it. I'm lucky my better half is a software developer so she understood the tecno geek stuff, but I think with some reading of the forums and help stuff etc, I could have done it ok too. You are right to be careful making your decision, I've read a lot of complaints too, and I feel a little lucky I haven't had any problems to date. Good luck with whatever you choose. JpW.

Thanks JpW!! I'm not a software developer thus is why I'm on the fence. Appreciate your insights.

Don't be too concerned about the software end of things. It's pretty straightforward and there are many people here willing to help if you need it.

And there are lots of online help docs too, like this.....

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifi-products/ampl/how-to-update-amplifi-3075150fx100tt-with-w-r701

I don't own either a Spider or AMPLIFi amp, but I do have a Firehawk which is similar in concept to AMPLIFi. If you want portability/mobility, tone matching, and a great jamming/learning environment I would definitely recommend an AMPLIFi over a Spider.

Hi

I am also looking to swap the Spider IV 75, which I like, for Amplifi 150w. But, I have reservations as i've heard people saying its not very loud. Now, I have the 75 spider which is very very loud and easily blasts out others in the rehearsal studio....so what is going on here?? How can a 150w amp be much quieter than a 75w from the same company with presumably a similar celestion speaker? Is there a built in gate keeping the guitar down low so it doesn't overpower the other speakers for the bluetooth sound playback? Can this be switched off?

Can someone please explain if possible??

thanks all

I have been using an AMPLIFI 75 since it was released here in holland (nearly 2 years ago). It is still the most used one at home (i have a marshall stack but my neighbors do not like that one very much). I really missed the android app in the early days, but that one has been taken care of last year.

In order to know if that one is useable for you, it is good to know what you will be using it for. If it is meant to be at home, in the room, it is the best thing. Its insides are sufficient to create stunning sounds and effects, and because of the many speakers, it gives a very clear sound. Using it on stage, for somewhat heavier music in my case, is not the best option, at least not the 75 model. In short: it lags body in the sound. 

On the other hand, it is a very compact setup, having amp and effects in one. No dragging around tons (kilo's) of amps and cabinets, but a handy box. Creating sounds using the android/ipad app is very easy and (still after 2 years of use) a fun thing to do. 

One major flaw with the last FW upgrade, which went very smoothly btw, is that the complete list of patches was replaced with stock ones. I had about 40 presets loaded in the device itself and they were all gone. As a bonus, my stored sounds were all duplicated, so there are now two versions of the same sound in the list. I still have to clean that up.

I have used it with the FBV MKII board, which is very useful. 

Hope this helps.

if you have the money... go with a fire hawk... sound much better.. i have an amplifi amp and a fire hawk fx Pedal.. Fire hawk sounds much better and the bluetooth seems to be much better in it. I have my fire hawk hook into one of these http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers#promedia-2-1($150).. And i LOVE it... completely love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of the Amplifi and the bluetooth/smart phone aspect, but I can't get it to update.

On another note I had a Fender Mustang which is similar.. that thing updated with no problems. It doesn't have bluetooth, but you can connect it to a PC and download amplifiers and tones the same. Very similar system.. can search for tones and they have a star rating system. As for tone searching, I think they both seem to be lacking in that area. It's hit or miss to find a tone you're looking for.