Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adding tones/settings without a PC/MAC

throwermr

You need HD Edit on a computer with internet access if you want to be able to import patches, regardless of their source. If you have no computer at the moment, then there's not much you can do.

You're not understanding the question.  I know that I can't download patches into the HD500x without a computer, but I can manually enter them.  I was wanting to know if there was a site out there with sample settings that could be entered through the POD HD500x device itself.

All the settings are embedded within the preset/tone file, and you can't inspect them without loading them into the edit program which of course requires a computer.

I know of no website that contains all the detailed settings of all Customtone (or other) POD HD tone files in a human readable format. I know of previous efforts on the part of some users to go part way. They built various custom, personalized utilities that would at least partially parse the tone files and generate a readable document showing selected settings. Afaik all of these efforts were abandoned. It's a massive undertaking and begins with reverse engineering of the tone files to try to figure out the proprietary Line 6 file format.

This is a paradoxical question. You're wanting to input settings into your HD without actually having the device hooked to a computer, but the settings you're after require a computer with an internet connection, so you must have a computer available? And one modern enough to have a network connection. So why not just hook the device into the computer?

Or if I'm also not understanding the question, download some patches from custom-tone or wherever else, and use HD Edit in offline mode, since the device is not hooked to the computer, and manually enter what you see using HD Edit. Or is the HD and the computer in separate locations? If that's the case, I guess the best you could do would be to take screenshots of HD Edit and print them out for later use.

You're not understanding the question. I know that I can't download patches into the HD500x without a computer, but I can manually enter them. I was wanting to know if there was a site out there with sample settings that could be entered through the POD HD500x device itself.

You will likely waste weeks of time with this approach. If you're gonna be painstakingly entering one parameter after another, you may as well start from scratch and create your own tones...otherwise, it's a whole lot of grunt work for patches you might end up hating. In my experience, patches created by someone else, with different gear, rarely translate well. I've tried dozens from Customtone...all but one completely useless to me. If I had to enter them all manually, I would have gone mad....

Thanks for the responses guys.  I guess I have my answer.  I'm getting a new computer in about a month, and my old mac is having screen issues.  Just can't hook it up for now.  I have created my own custom tones using the POD HD500X interface, and I've gotten pretty good at it.  Just wanted to see what was out there.

I'm curious.  We're you going to download patch settings on your phone or something ?  Then type in the settings to your PODHD ?

No, I was going to manually put them in through the POD HD500x itself...lots of nob twisting and such.  I guess just by following a spec sheet.  Maybe it would look something like this:

Acoustic Clean

no amp

Noise Gate: Threshold = 25%; Decay 76%

Blue Compressor: Threshold = -19db; Gain: 11db

EQ.......

Mod.....

Delay......

As someone mentioned earlier, given the situation you may as well take the leap and start working on your own patches.  Downloading patches is something of a double edged sword.  It's convenient, but you rarely really learn much about how to setup your own patches because it's not always obvious what the author was trying to do.  Likewise I can't say I've ever really found anything useful from a downloaded patch because of the differences in people's physical setup (guitars, amps, FRFR, etc.).

I have a computer I use specifically for my HD500 and my HDPro.  But all I ever really use it for is saving my own patches and setlists.  I agree Edit can be nice, but it's also not very practical when you find yourself at a gig and need to make some changes to a patch.  You're better off knowing your way around the manual interface so you can make quick changes if you need to in my opinion.

As someone mentioned earlier, given the situation you may as well take the leap and start working on your own patches.  Downloading patches is something of a double edged sword.  It's convenient, but you rarely really learn much about how to setup your own patches because it's not always obvious what the author was trying to do.  Likewise I can't say I've ever really found anything useful from a downloaded patch because of the differences in people's physical setup (guitars, amps, FRFR, etc.).

I have a computer I use specifically for my HD500 and my HDPro.  But all I ever really use it for is saving my own patches and setlists.  I agree Edit can be nice, but it's also not very practical when you find yourself at a gig and need to make some changes to a patch.  You're better off knowing your way around the manual interface so you can make quick changes if you need to in my opinion.

I have already started doing that to some degree, but as a novice when it comes to creating sounds/tones, I was wondering if others had published their ideas outside of the edit program as a download.

My original request was a website.

With what device are you viewing the website? Your question implies it's not a PC/Mac, and in a previous response you didn't answer a question about 'a phone or something', so I guess we're all kind of struggling to understand your question. As someone else mentioned earlier it's a bit of a paradox.

but the settings you're after require a computer with an internet connection

But, let's say someone has an Android device (since many people have abandoned the traditional Windows computer in favor of alternatives like tablets and smartphones). It is a "computer" and it has internet. But EDIT does not open on Android. 

Then what do we do? 

**this is why there are so many HD500's running the original six-year-old factory-firmware. They don't have pc access to do the updates. And then they buy the 500x thinking that it is light years ahead of the 500, without knowing that the firmware updates make the two units the same. 

There are sites that translate, convert, and display all sorts of various information. 

I don't think that asking if one existed for L6 is unreasonable. There isn't one that we know of, but with so many sites (of that type) out there, it doesn't hurt to ask. 

A 'spec sheet' where you can print out a hardcopy of the values is one thing.

But I think the easiest option would be to make a "virtual EDIT" that runs on the web instead of the computer. You can upload a file to the virtual EDIT and see the settings. 

Simulators. That's how I can run my TI-94 games on Windows 7. Hell, I have a disc of Nitendo and Atari games that I can play on my pc, lol. 

Simulate the Windows environment, open EDIT within that simulation. 

With what device are you viewing the website? Your question implies it's not a PC/Mac, and in a previous response you didn't answer a question about 'a phone or something', so I guess we're all kind of struggling to understand your question. As someone else mentioned earlier it's a bit of a paradox.

I have a smart phone and a work computer that doesn't allow me to download programs like the edit program.  No problems though I suffered through my crapped out screen on my Mac and downloaded the edit program last night.

There are sites that translate, convert, and display all sorts of various information. 

I don't think that asking if one existed for L6 is unreasonable. There isn't one that we know of, but with so many sites (of that type) out there, it doesn't hurt to ask. 

But I think the easiest option would be to make a "virtual EDIT" that runs on the web instead of the computer. You can upload a file to the virtual EDIT and see the settings. 

Simulators. That's how I can run my TI-94 games on Windows 7. Hell, I have a disc of Nitendo and Atari games that I can play on my pc, lol. 

I was beginning to question my own sanity...thanks for understanding.

I just suffered through my broke-down mac last night, and managed to download the edit program/monkey and loaded a few patches from the customtone site.

But, let's say someone has an Android device (since many people have abandoned the traditional Windows computer in favor of alternatives like tablets and smartphones). It is a "computer" and it has internet. But EDIT does not open on Android. 

Then what do we do?

This thought hadn't occurred to me until joel_brown mentioned it.

Did you mean a TI-99? Classic99 is a good one.

They have Windows simulators on tablets and smartphones ?  A Windows virtual machine takes a lot of memory.

Well, I was speaking in the reverse. Specifically being able to run non Windows software on a Windows computer through simulators. 

But, to answer the question, I have seen some specific sims that run specific programs. Not a complete simulation of Windows that allows you to open anything. 

Plus, most of them are simple webpages. You upload a file and it opens in a webpage instead of on your computer. 

They have Windows simulators on tablets and smartphones ?  A Windows virtual machine takes a lot of memory.

There is a website that allows you to run Windows 3.1, even a win95 demo, completely in your web browser. So it could be possible to run an early version of Windows on a device incapable of running Windows natively. I haven't tried it on an android device, only a desktop computer, so whether it actually works on a phone or tablet, don't know.

I have some experience with this. I created a website for the x3l that you uploaded your bundle to. It read the bundle and gave you back the patch list and some basic params you could then print. Line6 could have easily added a print function in the librarian but has not.

Someone with lots of free time could do the same thing and parse the file. I went far enough to know that it's possible. However, the use case of people uploading patches to a shared site, so some other user can enter in params by hand is so small it should never be considered.

Like the patch name print function, it should be a part of the official librarian to parse and export the individual settings. Even better the custim tone site could display all of the params on the website. It would make sime of its users more productive but probably wouldn't have any impact on the company's success. They are probably going to stear everything towards Helix and less expensive boards that you replace more often rather then the HD line.

Having partially done what the OP has requested I can say the effort is not worth it as an outside party. Perhaps NTH but not worth the effort.

However, the use case of people uploading patches to a shared site, so some other user can enter in params by hand is so small it should never be considered.

BUT, that's the case for this guy. If you had an online EDIT, if you can upload, you can also make changes and then download. 

Although, you still can't import to your unit  :(

BUT, that's the case for this guy. If you had an online EDIT, if you can upload, you can also make changes and then download.

Although, you still can't import to your unit :(

Yeah. Single user not a good justification for how much work this would take.