Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

THIS is the sound I love.

aepoc

Ok, it's pretty specific, but I'll give it a go.  Maybe someone on here that's a lot smarter than I (which is all of you) can explain to me exactly what's going on here... cuz I'd love to know.

https://youtu.be/yzvozz2C9qo?t=4m29s

At 4:33, on the right channel, there's a growl / grind sound that is just fricken amazing to me.  What's going on there?  Is that the amp cranked up and a speaker ready to blow?  I can't tell.  Nor can I tell the amp or guitar combo, because Pearl Jam layers their guitars so well.  I'd love to be able to get something similar with the Helix.  I'm guessing it's through a Les Paul (which I do have).  Any help would be appreciated!

No idea what might have been used to get that sound at 4:33, but to my ears it sounds a little bit like a poorly tracked pitch shifter. Since Helix isn't good at doing chords with a pitch block, you could try something like that. When engaging an effect like that you'd probably have to play the chord in a different position on the guitar to what the chord actually is, depending on how much the pitch block would be decreased or increased, whichever way sounds better. And it could also be that the more you increase or decrease the pitch, the better, or more warbling effect you might get.

For the amp, try one of the more lower gain ones. Maybe the Brit J45, P75, or one of the new Matchstick channels. Guess it's something you just have to experiment around with. Perhaps some of the even more lower gain amps than I mentioned would work, but put a distortion in front of it.

If you could find some way to isolate the guitar, that would likely make things easier. Never done this, so I don't know how it could be done. Maybe someone else has an idea about this.

• Upvote 1

Lol. So I see that now. Thanks. :)

I just quickly threw a Brit J45 Brt (amp+cab) on a blank patch, all default settings, and then put one of the pitch blocks in front of it with an interval of -7 and 100% mix. And then after that block, I put a simple pitch with an interval of -12 and mix of 25%. It's sort of close to what I hear when I just hit an A power chord using the 5th, 4th and 3rd strings. If you use the 6th, 5th and 4th strings it tracks better, which you don't want. This is with a JEM 7VWH.

• Upvote 1

Lol. So I see that now. Thanks. :)

I just quickly threw a Brit J45 Brt (amp+cab) on a blank patch, all default settings, and then put one of the pitch blocks in front of it with an interval of -7 and 100% mix. And then after that block, I put a simple pitch with an interval of -12 and mix of 25%. It's sort of close to what I hear when I just hit an A power chord using the 5th, 4th and 3rd strings. If you use the 6th, 5th and 4th strings it tracks better, which you don't want. This is with a JEM 7VWH.

Just started messing with this, and holy crap does it sound odd outside of a mix :D haha.  You're pretty close to it.  I had no idea pitch would have been involved (even though it may not have been).  That crazy growl is driving me mad.  I want it!  :)  Thanks again Duncann.

This may be way off, but my first thought was a RAT.  Here's a clip of a RAT with a Les Paul, see if you think it sounds somewhat similar:

That sounds pretty close as well.  I'm thinking I should mix this along with Duncann's idea in a parallel path-type situation.  Thank you for the help.