Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 And Flextone Iii

ejones1989

I'm going to purchase the HD500X .. and have been noodling on what i want to run it through. DT25 .. seems great. Also seems like running the 500x through the LT2 is also a nice approach (which I really like.)  This issue i have is ... i have a flextone III which has been a nice amp for me over the years -- with some sonic limitations.

If i run the HD500 through the Flextone III--- 

1. what would be the best setting for the FIII? What would provide the best FRFR?

2. Some of the effects on the FIII are solid (delay, chorus, wah) -- are there any downsides to using the FIII's effects?

3. Are there any downsides to this approach overall?

thanks!!!

E

I have the equipment that you discribe above (flextone 3 + HD500) And is an awesome combination!

Now about:

1. Best Seting is to use full model of the HD, with the 4cm, and connect the flextone to your computer (via midi) use the line 6 edit on flextone and set it to tuner.That way you will use the speakers of the amp as speakers without any simulation of power amp, same like a FRFR,

2. Not any downsides.

3. It is awesome aproach, worthy, and onether thing you can do is to use the 4cm, pre or full model on the HD, and a model on your flextone!You can discover some great new tones you never imagine!

P.s. Try the full amp plexi 45 from your pod with the ac15 of you flextone. You will  remember me ;)

I have a Flextone III XL and use it with my HD Desktop for rehearsals....The tones I use are setup for using DT50, DT25, SVs....I generally use two amps...One set Class A and an SV (AB)...My patches are certainly not optimized for the Flexy as I use PRE models...However, for rehearsals I change the POD to Combo Front and cut a good amount of 400-600 hz and it translates pretty well to what the tube amps sound like...I am thinking that I will probably close off the back of the Flexy as that is the real problem with that amp...the back is way too open...Still a great amp...

You are most welcome. Really great to hear that there are some Flexy users still out there...

Not really sure what I am going to do but I usually post any mods I do...I would not be the first to close off the back of a Flexy...I think there are some posts in the old forum archive on that...Several years ago that was all the rage. I went a slightly different route and modified mine to support an added 212 cab and keep the internal speakers on...I don't drag the cab around for it anymore...So one thought is to load it with Jenson Jet Tornados like my other amps (4 lbs) and close the back....But I might just make a head box for it and use a cab I already have...still on the fence on that one...

• 2 years later...

I have a Peavey Bandit 112 ("silver stripe") and couldn't be happier with my sounds with HD500X and the amp was a stored in closet since 1997 amp that looked brand new. The price? $60, the best money I've spent yet on music gear. I'm looking for another for stereo plus the things only weigh about 40 lbs. I also have a Carvin V3 2x12 100 watt tube combo but lifting over 80 lbs with only a top handle into my car trunk is a no go for me. I can easily put the Peavey and my Yamaha g100-112 series lll into the trunk with room to spare. I use the Yamaha as a personal "PA" when playing with my keyboard friend. I would buy another Yamaha too but they are pricier and harder to find and I like the Peavy just as much. Both are solid state by the way and well known for their clean channel.

But what amp settings do you set the Flextone to in order to get great sound using the HD500?

I have two Flextone amps (1x12 and the 2x12). Both have an effects loop. But what amp model should I set the Flextone to and then be able to use the HD500 to control the show?

I don't get that. Haha. Great post!!!

Thx!

I have two Flextone amps (1x12 and the 2x12). Both have an effects loop. But what amp model should I set the Flextone to and then be able to use the HD500 to control the show?

It really doesn't matter what settings you use on the Flextone if you are going into the FX return.  That bypasses all the internal modeling and effects in the Flextone and goes straight to the power amp.  The only thing that still works on the Flextone is the Master volume.  Don't forget to put a dummy plug in the Flextone Guitar In or you won't get any sound.  All my modeling and effects are in the Helix (HD500 for you) with the Flextone just doing the power amp and cab.

I GOT IT!!!

So last night I tried it out. Well actually I tried this out with my Line 6 Table Top (Amplifi). The HD500 is at the studio. So, it worked but the volume was super low and I had to crank the Table Top volume way up to hear it. Something wasn't right....

So this morning I saw your post, radatas, and I saw what I was doing wrong. Now it sounds clear without a high volum setting.

I could not really try this out too much because some of my family were still in bed, but I could detect a different in the tone.

Now this leads to a question...

Is the speaker that's in the Flextone III sort of a Flat Response speaker? Is this why it sounds pretty good with the digital modeler (itself, the Table Top or an HD500)?

Thanks!!!