Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Relay G10

glorioso

Anyone using the Relay G10 with Helix? I was thinking of putting it on my pedalboard (I have my Helix and 2 exp pedals on a Pedaltrain Terra). Can you use the XLR into the Helix as the input?

I didn't think they were even available yet?   

• 1 month later...

Apparently the receiver needs to be powered for the G10 to work.  Can it be powered from the USB ports on the Helix?

If it could be powered via phantom on the XLR you could plug the XLR ouput on the G10 into the Mic input on the Helix (with Helix phantom power set on) and power it directly from the Helix. That would be awesome although I am not sure how differing impedance and having a mic preamp in the chain might impact the guitar sound. Future versions of the Helix might want to include impedance setting and the ability to switch the mic preamp out of the chain on the XLR input as there appear to be some great alternate options for using this input.

If it could be powered via phantom on the XLR you could plug the XLR ouput on the G10 into the Mic input on the Helix (with Helix phantom power set on) and power it directly from the Helix. That would be awesome although I am not sure how differing impedance and having a mic preamp in the chain might impact the guitar sound. Future versions of the Helix might want to include impedance setting and the ability to switch the mic preamp out of the chain on the XLR input as there appear to be some great alternate options for using this input.

A good idea in theory, however, the effort required to do this is huge.

The maximum theoretical power transfer for an ideal P48 phantom power supply is 170mW. But, that would require an incredibly complex switch mode regulator design in the G series receiver to come anywhere near being able to draw that full amount. The G series digital receivers probably need at least 5 times that (and probably significantly more).

It is theoretically possible, but would require a significant R&D effort and complete redesign of the G series wireless receiver most likely using a custom designed low power ASIC and phantom power regulator.

It would be FAR easier to just include a G series receiver inside the Helix (or a special purpose power+signal connector that could connect one or more external G series 'modules').

For future designs of hardware like the Helix, I'd like to see more use of PoE (Power over Ethernet) which can provide considerably more power than P48 phantom, and is inherently a digital interface eliminating an extra AtoD / DtoA conversion stage between the interconnected devices.

For future designs of hardware like the Helix, I'd like to see more use of PoE (Power over Ethernet) which can provide considerably more power than P48 phantom, and is inherently a digital interface eliminating an extra AtoD / DtoA conversion stage between the interconnected devices.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  I was not aware of this technology, I will be researching it.

Good idea, but your going to have a power source right there for the Helix anyway, so just plug the G10 in there.

• 1 month later...

I just received the G10 today and connected it to my Helix.  Works great.  Not sure about powering it from the Heiix, but will look into it as this could be useful onstage.

Where did you get the G10 from. They seem not to be in stock anywhere.

I did my first Hekix powered gig tonight, and used my new G10. Both worked flawlessly, very easy to use the G10... Just kept forgetting I wasn't tethered! Our bass player was so impressed he's getting a G10 tomorrow. Lots in stock in various places in the uk. Mine came from Andertons and last time I checked they had 10+ in stock.

• Upvote 1

Not really in the market (yet?), but what's the big plus of the G10 over the G30? Prices are close. Solution for the flimsy battery door problem I hear is a big deal w the G30?

• Downvote 1

Not really in the market (yet?), but what's the big plus of the G10 over the G30? Prices are close. Solution for the flimsy battery door problem I hear is a big deal w the G30?

To me the big plus is no need to clip something to me.

I solved my flimsy battery door problem with judicious application of a rubber band.  Admittedly, it was a high-quality rubber band.

Nevertheless, I ordered a G10 from Sweetwater yesterday.  Maybe I can use the rubber band for something else.

Happy to say that mine is coming Monday from GC. I preordered it online just last Wednesday, June 1. Tried Sweetwater but my sales rep said it was going to be available by the end of this month since they have quite a bit of a waiting list.

Got mine from Thomann last month already. 

Yes, The transmitter is sticking out but that's what a cable also does...

Looks pretty solid to me and I replaced my G30 with the G10 (2nd best decision after buying the Helix ;) ).  

Happy to say that mine is coming Monday from GC. I preordered it online just last Wednesday, June 1. Tried Sweetwater but my sales rep said it was going to be available by the end of this month since they have quite a bit of a waiting list.

Heh, lucky.  I've had mine on preorder from Sweetwater since March.  I'm not slated to get mine for another month yet.

Got my G10 yesterday, charged it to a full charge, hooked it up, and so far so good. I took my G90 out of my rack, and replaced it with my Furhman power source. The G10 will get the stage test next week with 2 weeks of 5 niters. I don't roam too far, and if I don't get interference the G90 will go for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a relay g10 yesterday.
I charged it over night. The green light never turned solid green while on the dock base. It just keeps slowly flashing green.
Is this faulty?
The manual says it's supposed to be solid green when done charging?

It seems to work fine though but I'd like to know that it's fully charged.

Hi Nippy

Yes, mine turns solid green when charged. The base flashes every so often, but the transmitter is solid green.

It's strange that the response to my support ticket and to the customer service agent on the phone both said that mine is behaving correctly.

I'm confused.

Here's what I am thinking of trying (sometimes) with my Helix and G10: Plug the guitar into the Helix by cable, and then the G10 transmitter into the 1/4" output of the Helix. Then plug the receiver into my amp. That way I can have my amp and Helix disconnected, and I can put the amp anywhere. Sure, I'll still be tethered to the Helix, but still mobile with the amp. And when using my Variax, I can be powered by Helix.

I actually just used a similar method with my Variax 500: Plugged Variax into the power supply, and instead of cable from power supply to amp, I put the G10 transmitter into the output of the power supply, and the receiver on my amp. The amp was not convenient to cable to the power supply, so it was a good setup. Worked nicely.

Of course, maybe the Helix's output from the 1/4", carrying with it all the effects, will be too much to send by G10T.

And I have to get my Helix working---it arrived with inputs not working. Back to Line 6 with it... I'll get a chance to try it in probably about a month, I'm guessing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I played my first gig with the G10 Friday and it worked great.  No issues and I traveled as far as 25' in any direction.  The other guitar player in my band is thinking of getting one.  Here's my question:  will two of these on stage work independently?  I can't seem to find this answer searching about.  I know Garhel said your bass player is getting one too.  How'd that go?

I've been having a small problem with my G10 Relay that always seems to happen as I'm setting up for rehearsal. I plug the receiver into an outlet with the transmitter in the cradle and go about doing the rest of my set up. Then I take the transmitter and plug it into my guitar and nothing. I usually have to put the transmitter back into the cradle, unplug the receiver, plug it back in, put the transmitter into the guitar and it works. This has happened about 5 or 6 times. I haven't figured out what's causing it. Other than that, I like the freedom it gives me and it works great once it's reset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The G10 can be used with the Helix and it works quite well. You can connect either or both of the G10 Receiver's Base audio feeds (1/4" and XLR) t the Helix as you wish. Both may be used simultaneously.

Power to the G10 Receiver must be from a USB Transfomer or a USB rechargeable battery pack. Just any any version of either will work fine. I use a rechargeable USB battery pack and it works great.

Some have modified their G10 Receiver base units (voiding their warranty) to be powered from a pedal board's 9v DC power supply.

I also have a 120 Volt inline power cord insert (it's called a Squid or Octopus). This goes in line in the AC Power cord where it connects to the Helix, and provides additional 3 Prong AC jacks.