Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone affected for worse when using 4CM

boynigel

i have everything hooked up correctly to my amp via 4cm but i wind up with a strange, hollow metallic-y sound over my core amp tone.  kind of sounds like a flanger effect without a moving "sweep".  this same phenomena happened when i tried using the Helix (in stand-alone) with my Eventide H9.

guitar>helix in, helix send 1 to front of Orange Rockerverb amp, Amp fx loop send> helix return 1, Helix L main out > Amp fx loop return

suggestions?

I am using the 4cm with my JVM without any tone suck. I am using the parallel/serial loops with the mix @ 100%. Not sure if your amp will behave differently though. Check your global setting. This is my set up.

Guitar in pad. Off

Guitar impedance. 1m oh

1/4" outputs. Line.

send/return instrument. This is the loop my 4cm is connected. This is important. (Amp in is not line level)

Volume knob controls 1/4. Knob all the way up.

Now on the patch loop1 send/return. Loop return -3db. Mix 100%

See if that helps.

I am using the 4cm with my JVM without any tone suck. I am using the parallel/serial loops with the mix @ 100%. Not sure if your amp will behave differently though. Check your global setting. This is my set up.

Guitar in pad. Off

Guitar impedance. 1m oh

1/4" outputs. Line.

send/return instrument. This is the loop my 4cm is connected. This is important. (Amp in is not line level)

See if that helps.

the mix was the fix.  i turned it up from its 50% default to 100% and all the weirdness went away.  thanks!

Guitar in pad. Off

Guitar impedance. 1m oh

1/4" outputs. Line.

See if that helps.

Good info...why the 3db cut on the loop return? Is it because your effects loop is line level and Helix is set to instrument?

• Upvote 1

The -3db is where the unity gain ended up on my loop level. Your amp may be different. Just set yours to your volume lvl without the loop on. What I also do for solo boosting is add the Timmy and change the return lvl to -2db with switch on and then back to -3db when switch is off. This gives me more dirt with a bit of clean volume. Works perfect for clean boost too.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Increase the Level Parameter of HELIX's FX Return Block to make up for any decreased signal level coming back from your physical amp's FX Send.

Also check to see if you may have any attenuation applied to HELIX's FX Send to your Amp (if you are routing the signal that way). Also check to see how you haae HELIX's Global Settings > I/O set for the FX Send? Instrument? Or, Line Level? Some Amps FX Loops have no problem accepting Line Level signals from outboard gear.

• 4 weeks later...

Having the same problem. Tried the suggestions listed but having a flange like sound when on channel 2 of rectoverb. If I turn down the effects loop on amp, the amplifier sounds find but not effects coming through. That makes sense, but the more increase the amps effects loop, and the more helix coming through it sounds like a flanger. If I turn down the helix's volume knob, again the channel 2 sounds great but no helix sound. I'm sure it's something with the send returns, but can't figure it out.

Having the same problem. Tried the suggestions listed but having a flange like sound when on channel 2 of rectoverb. If I turn down the effects loop on amp, the amplifier sounds find but not effects coming through. That makes sense, but the more increase the amps effects loop, and the more helix coming through it sounds like a flanger. If I turn down the helix's volume knob, again the channel 2 sounds great but no helix sound. I'm sure it's something with the send returns, but can't figure it out.

The Rectoverb has a parallel effects loop... The Helix doesn't have a "dry kill" feature for use with parallel loops, but the workaround is to set the mix in the effect to 100%, and control the amount of wet by using the level control in the block.

• 5 years later...
On 2/14/2016 at 9:58 AM, boynigel said:

I had been struggling with this ever so slight hollow sound when with the Helix LT and my Engle Savage 120. I jus saw this, noticed my send/return was at 50% mix, increased it to 100% and it seems to have brought my amp back to stock sound.  Thank you!

I wonder why it defaults to 50%.  When would you want it at 50%?