Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fender neck replacement

rsnagy40

• 3 months later...

You might just try changing to a wider nut, getting the frets leveled (they aren't that finely tuned from the factory) and doing a good setup on the Variax Standard neck. That can result in a much more playable guitar.

• 2 months later...

I would definitely recommend getting a good setup and a fret-buffing before changing the neck all together. I have a Mexi-Tele that was refretted and I even had the shape of the neck sanded down a bit. These kinds of things can make a guitar feel totally different than stock. Give it a try before changing the neck.

fwiw - i put a fender neck on my 69, the stock neck was too much a baseball bat for my tastes.  But I kinda like the Std neck as is.  Give it a whirl before jumping....

Seconded - my luthier had a neck from a John Mayer (sp?) strat that he put on my 69 - night and day!  But I also dig the stock neck on the Standard.  So I agree with the others, check the setup and tweak to taste before jumping right to a new neck...

Seconded - my luthier had a neck from a John Mayer (sp?) strat that he put on my 69 - night and day! But I also dig the stock neck on the Standard. So I agree with the others, check the setup and tweak to taste before jumping right to a new neck...

It's a moot point anyway...Strat necks don't fit the Standard. It's been discussed in other threads. The heel might fit the pocket, but scale is an issue. The resulting position of the frets relative to the bridge are not the same as the stock neck. Intonation will never be right.