Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise gate query?

RRMark

Edit: Why do I get guitar through when threshold is set to 0dB?

My ignorance and inexperience with noise gates! Wondered about these discrepancies, don't imagine I'm overloading the input? Tried this at the front of 09 Solo Lead Crunch

With Input Gate on, threshold set to 0dB still have clean guitar signal with sustain, about 1/2 volume from when the gate is off.

With Dynamics block Noise Gate on, threshold set to 0dB, decay 10ms, about the same, some clean guitar signal with full sustain.

With both on, no guitar signal.

With Dynamics block Hard Gate on, have to set threshold to -9dB or less to trigger it. Otherwise no guitar signal.

Using a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position, set at about 6mm below the strings, Input impedance set to Auto.

Threshold should be set to minus something (a lot) to be invisible... Turn et down til you don't hear a difference...

I would set the threshold appropriately.

What I was questioning is any signal getting through when set to 0dB. I didn't explain it well, sorry. I guess I'm not overloading due to the hard gate setting mentioned above, presume on the other 2 gates that even with the gate shut they allow some signal thru?! Unless they are both on! Bit confused, it mostly came about when I was messing with input impedance, which when dialing down was removing the quacky harshness, also auto impedance with guitar volume down a very small notch smoothed things out. Thought to use 0dB on the gate to see if I was overloading the input, wasn't expecting any guitar signal on that setting.

I would set the threshold appropriately.

What I was questioning is any signal getting through when set to 0dB. I didn't explain it well, sorry. I guess I'm not overloading due to the hard gate setting mentioned above, presume on the other 2 gates that even with the gate shut they allow some signal thru?! Unless they are both on! Bit confused, it mostly came about when I was messing with input impedance, which when dialing down was removing the quacky harshness, also auto impedance with guitar volume down a very small notch smoothed things out. Thought to use 0dB on the gate to see if I was overloading the input, wasn't expecting any guitar signal on that setting.

Okay, now i think I understand, what you are asking. But it stil dont quite get. Why would you think that you are overloading the input, if you have nothing in front of the unit ? 

As far as I know changing the Impedance would not change this. ? 

By the way, you are saying that the signal is half volume - so you are not over the treshold in which case you wouldnt hear any difference.