Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Volume Adjustment

greekjgg

So far this thing is super easy to use but I think I'm overlooking "preset" volume. 

I'm trying to EQ my patches so they are all the same level. 

Do I need to adjust the amp volume within the preset to do this or is there a "preset" volume? I'm used to Roland units that have a master volume per patch so I'm getting some of my wires crossed in my head. 

Best way to do this, imho, is with a dB meter, free for most phones.

Yes dB meter is a must and most phones work just fine for this at lower volumes.  However my Android/Samsung 3 tops out at 85dB.  Go figure!  The phone's meter app is ready to go but due to the physical limitations of the phone's microphone, you could meter lift-off at Cape Canaveral at a distance of 100 feet (don't try this at home) and it would still only read 85dB.  Apple phones however will allow you to meter up to 115 or 20 I think which should cover you for most applications/venues.  Anyway, just sayin', not all phones are created equal for this application.

Since Helix can have more than one amp model, it's easiest to set preset level from the Output block's Level parameter.

Darn good point about multiple amps. This tip just changed the way I set my volume on my patches. So it begs the question, what is unity gain or a suggested guideline for where to set the "Ch Vol" parameter on the amps if you use the Output block for overall volume? Is there a ballpark number to set for "Ch Vol" or does it vary too much from amp model to amp model to have a rough default setting?

Ok; good to know on the output block. Now is this something that you can adjust with your foot if you engage that mode? I can see myself in rehearsal tweaking these patches and the easiest way w/o slowing down everyone else would be this way. 

Playing a guitar through a blank patch with no blocks is my reference level for unity gain. I match the volume level of my patches to a blank patch. You can also bypass all the blocks in a patch to hear the same reference unity gain level.

I have noticed that the default levels of all the amp blocks are much louder than the bypassed level, so I use the mic level in the cab to reduce the volume of the amp to match the bypassed level. I figure that lets me run the amp block cranked up for good tone while keeping the patch volume at unity gain.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe a patch with an amp block should be much louder than a blank patch. All the factory presets are much louder than a blank patch.

Any thoughts?

Don't understand the reliance on dB meters. Been gigging since I was 16, never had one. Never had a problem leveling patch volumes either. I've got a dB meter on either side of my head. They work. Everyone else's will too...you just have to use them.

I agree but it's nice to show the "other" guitar player thier level, if you know what i mean.