Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New 1.06.5 firmware update questions?

HonestOpinion

A few questions about the new 1.06.5 firmware update:

• Do we need to backup our old presets with the Helix App 1.03 or should we backup our presets with the new Helix App 1.04?
  • Do we need to restore our old presets with the Helix App 1.03 or should we restore our presets with the new Helix App 1.04?
  • Is it recommended to run the 9&10 global reset procedure or is this strictly optional?

I backed up my presets using 1.03, performed the update, and then restored using 1.04 with no issues. I did perform a global reset before I restored my setlists so that I could capture any factory preset changes associated with the "US Double" sag parameter bug fix (if there were any).

I know it's probably just a placebo effect, but my patches sound and feel better after this (and every other) update. ☺ï¸

cheers.

A few questions about the new 1.06.5 firmware update:

• Do we need to backup our old presets with the Helix App 1.03 or should we backup our presets with the new Helix App 1.04?
  • Do we need to restore our old presets with the Helix App 1.03 or should we restore our presets with the new Helix App 1.04?
  • Is it recommended to run the 9&10 global reset procedure or is this strictly optional?

Every firmware update is ultimately twice as complicated as your previous generation of product. Maybe not in the the 'ideal' but in the reality of uninstalling and re-installing the Updater each time

Given that the Helix App version and sometimes the Line6 Updater version changes along with the firmware updates it would be great to have clear instructions on the following included in the instructions for each firmware update. I feel like I have to ask these questions anew each update because there is no concrete guidance, particularly on the issue of which version of the Helix App to use for backup and restore. This may seem obvious to L6 but it is not obvious to their users, at least not this user.

1. Which version of the Updater should be used?
  2. Which version of the Helix App should be used for backup?
  3. Which version of the Helix App should be used for restore?
  4. Whether a reset procedure e.g. pressing 9&10 is strictly optional or at least what exactly will or will not occur if it is skipped. 

I backed up my presets using 1.03, performed the update, and then restored using 1.04 with no issues. I did perform a global reset before I restored my setlists so that I could capture any factory preset changes associated with the "US Double" sag parameter bug fix (if there were any).

I know it's probably just a placebo effect, but my patches sound and feel better after this (and every other) update. ☺ï¸

cheers.

Thanks for posting. Btw, which version of the L6 Updater did you use? This is probably the procedure I would have pursued but I would really prefer that L6 just include these details in the firmware update instructions.

I used v1.07 of the updater, and I upgraded to the v1.77 drivers before starting the update process.

cheers.

Thanks very much for the responses GeekPimp. So to consolidate, here is the procedure Geekpimp used to successfully update from firmware ver. 1.06.0 to firmware ver. 1.06.5 (please let me know if this is not correct):

1. Backup presets and IRs with Helix App 1.03
  2. Download and install the Line6 Driver2 ver. 1.77 (If you are a Windows user)
  3. Download and install Line6 Updater 1.07  (some users reported issues installing this version without uninstalling the old version first, you can ignore the "certificate not signed" message)
  4. Download and install Helix App 1.04
  5. Upgrade to 1.06.5 version of the firmware using the Line6 Updater
  6. Run the 9&10 global reset procedure
  7. Restore presets with the Helix App 1.04.

If there is any confusion about versions between drivers, updater and app, the Helix app installer has all the latest. So, for an all-in-one update:

1. Backup presets IRs with the current Helix app.

2. Uninstall the Helix app, drivers and updater.

3. Run the installer for the latest Helix app. Let it install all three items.

4. Run the updater to install the latest firmware.

5. Do a global reset (switches 9 & 10).

6. Restore your presets and IRs.

It's overkill for those of us used to juggling varying sofware versions but removes the ambiguity.

• Upvote 1

If there is any confusion about versions between drivers, updater and app, the Helix app installer has all the latest. So, for an all-in-one update:

1. Backup presets IRs with the current Helix app.

2. Uninstall the Helix app, drivers and updater.

3. Run the installer for the latest Helix app. Let it install all three items.

4. Run the updater to install the latest firmware.

5. Do a global reset (switches 9 & 10).

6. Restore your presets and IRs.

It's overkill for those of us used to juggling varying sofware versions but removes the ambiguity.

This is great! I had never used the Updater with Helix to install drivers and the latest version of the Helix App, only firmware. 

Don't you mean the "Line 6 Updater"? What is the "Helix app installer"?

This is the Helix Application. You download that and run it. It is the installer for the Helix Application. You are given the choice of also installing the Updater and Drivers.

Version 1.04

Released 2/16/16

Works with:

Helix

Helix Rack

Helix Application v1.04 Release Notes

Helix Application 1.04 is a free software update that includes new features, fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! Before restoring your backed up presets to Helix, you must first install the latest 1.04 version of the Helix application!

Bug Fixes

- CC Toggle With Larger Dim Value Than Lit Value Not Restoring Properly Upon Export/Import 

- Importing multiple IRs or Presets can crash app 

- CC Toggle Dim and Lit States Switch After Exporting and Importing

Known Issues

- In rare cases, the Helix application may fail to connect when set to autolaunch on Mac OS X

- Importing or exporting a preset bundle while streaming audio may cause Helix to disconnect

OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10  ( 72.66 MB ) GET DOWNLOAD

Here's what I ALWAYS do with an upgrade.

First: save my banks and a bundle from my current firmware with the current app.

Second: update installer and Helix to latest.

Third: Install new firmware.

Fourth: re-set the whole box and re-install my patches.

So far (I'm on the rack) I have had some of the issues others have where I had to install the firmware repeatedly, but it's worked well for me, and that's even on some of the beta firmware releases that weren't ready for prime-time. Even with those, I was able to use Helix in every weekend service I've played since it came to me.

Just to be clear, it's the Helix app installer that also provides drivers and updater.

Don't you mean the "Line 6 Updater"? What is the "Helix app installer"?

This is the Helix Application. You download that and run it. It is the installer for the Helix Application. You are given the choice of also installing the Updater and Drivers.

Version 1.04

Released 2/16/16

Works with:

Helix

Helix Rack

Helix Application v1.04 Release Notes

Helix Application 1.04 is a free software update that includes new features, fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! Before restoring your backed up presets to Helix, you must first install the latest 1.04 version of the Helix application!

Bug Fixes

- CC Toggle With Larger Dim Value Than Lit Value Not Restoring Properly Upon Export/Import 

- Importing multiple IRs or Presets can crash app 

- CC Toggle Dim and Lit States Switch After Exporting and Importing

Known Issues

- In rare cases, the Helix application may fail to connect when set to autolaunch on Mac OS X

- Importing or exporting a preset bundle while streaming audio may cause Helix to disconnect

OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10  ( 72.66 MB ) GET DOWNLOAD

Ok, I got you now, you were referring to the Helix App 1.04 as the "Helix app installer". Does the Helix App 1.04 prompt you to download the latest version of the  "Line6 Updater", if so I had not noticed that?  I am not sure it will always have the latest Windows/Mac driver although DI could answer that one.

Really frustrating but I guess this is the result of wanting to have the latest and greatest. I'm not a noob at this stuff but feel like it based on how this one has gone..My patches are missing models and presets are whacky here and there.  I reinstalled a bundle after figuring out a way around the invalid cert or app signature. So basically 3 steps back...

I'm thinking on putting the old firmware back but I'm sure I'll get met with some level of weirdness there too...

There has to be an easier way. One comment about software installs. It doesn't seem to make sense to not suite the apps and look at a NVidia , AMD, etc on how they handle and communicate driver/ software and firmware updates. Always very clear, concise... and QUICK.

Last update solved my bugs :) Thanks line 6!!

Guys, for the moment I don't have any guitar with me, just helix. Can someone confirm me if the treadplate master knob is now fixed?

Not sure what the treadplate but is supposed to be, but adjusting the master volume on this amp has the volume peak at around 3.5. At around 5.0, there may be a slight decrease in volume. After that, there is an increasing power-amp distortion and no increase or decrease in volume.

I think I figured it out. This firmware does not seem to recognize the new models they did in the last update! I have patches that used the Teemah and Autofilter for example and those models and their settings are gone from my patches amongst other things. Nightmare

Line 6- Help straighten out my $1k+ USD problem here... unacceptable

I think I figured it out. This firmware does not seem to recognize the new models they did in the last update! I have patches that used the Teemah and Autofilter for example and those models and their settings are gone from my patches amongst other things. Nightmare

Are you sure you restored your presets using the newest (v1.04) Helix application?

cheers.

Not sure what the treadplate but is supposed to be, but adjusting the master volume on this amp has the volume peak at around 3.5. At around 5.0, there may be a slight decrease in volume. After that, there is an increasing power-amp distortion and no increase or decrease in volume.

Exactly this is the what i mean.

Really frustrating but I guess this is the result of wanting to have the latest and greatest. I'm not a noob at this stuff but feel like it based on how this one has gone..My patches are missing models and presets are whacky here and there. I reinstalled a bundle after figuring out a way around the invalid cert or app signature. So basically 3 steps back...

I'm thinking on putting the old firmware back but I'm sure I'll get met with some level of weirdness there too...

There has to be an easier way. One comment about software installs. It doesn't seem to make sense to not suite the apps and look at a NVidia , AMD, etc on how they handle and communicate driver/ software and firmware updates. Always very clear, concise... and QUICK.

I feel your pain. The firmware upgrade process would be infinitely improved by an Nvidia/AMD type approach to having the entire suite upgraded automatically with any required resets done as part of the process. Between the multiple version numbers on the Line6 Updater, the Helix App, the Windows driver, the firmware, and soon the Editor, this is a far less than ideal way to manage updates. I am also very experienced with updating complex software and I think this process could bear improvement. People spend a lot of time designing their presets and that investment of effort should be respected by consistent librarian (Helix App) behavior that can be counted on to preserve presets and their order between firmware upgrades. I have not seen any of the issues with preset restores since the last firmware upgrade however. It does not help that the basic questions I posted at the top of this topic still have not been answered by Line6. Not to speak of the fact that I have requested for months that they give clearer instructions in their firmware upgrade notes. I hate having to nag L6 for a response every time there is an upgrade. You would think they would want to make the update process as simple and problem free as possible for their users and cut down on negative feedback on the forum as well as time wasted by their support staff on phone calls.

With all that said, this update seems to have gone fairly smoothly, I have not yet noticed any problems with preset restores or any other issues, granted I have only had the upgrade for a day. I also noticed that the bug in the scribble strip with a custom name for the expression pedal switch seems to have been fixed. Before when I went to a preset with a custom name, for instance "Rate", on the expression pedal switch, it would still show "EXP 1 EXP 2" until I activated the footswitch. That issue seems to have been addressed. I have noticed that there is still a small bug but only with presets where I custom named the expression switch in prior firmware versions.  The bug is that the custom name always comes up lit instead of greyed out, whether or not the expression pedal switch was bypassed. However, new presets with expression switch custom names don't exhibit that behavior so I am satisfied that the custom names will work properly going forward. I am surprised L6 did not list this fix in the firmware notes, this is great! Really psyched to see this taken care of. Way to go guys, awesome!

So.... after playing through the new presets ( Knife fight) and just having a lot of fun and calming down I've come to this conclusion...They built this kit for those that (1) like to be on the cutting edge (2) for people that actually work gigging and need the flexibility this thing provides and  (3) those who are on their way to category 2.....

I work 2 jobs to keep my kids in college and pay my mortgage. the main job does most of it but my music gigs pay for the extras. So, I make money for my gear by gigging. I need the money and I need my sh*t to work. I did buy the Helix because it was finally a personal indulgence for all the years playing to 4/4,  But I saved for it and it was to provide IO to help me pare down my bass or guitar rigs depending on the gig. I was supported by my family to do so and that is all good. I've played gigs with it and its worked awesome. It is the best piece of gear I've had in years... But its stressful to get in this situation where I spent a lot of time on patches to have them altered and feeling insecure about its viability after an OEM update. In the end, I got back to close with the patches.. The reality is, who I play to could give a rats a$$ of whether I used a Vox, Matchless or Fender model and our sound guy will adjust to the room anyway- that is all for me.

The thing has been a great instrument. I think what took me aback was how solid it was from day one and I got used to it just working exactly as intended. I let my tech guard down a bit, but its not the end of the world.

• Downvote 2

.... .....But this thing needs to be at the pro level it claims to be by keeping me away from this forum BS and being consistent hardware AND software wise...

Don't know exactly what caused you all the trouble. You seem to have had a unique experience.

.... but hope all our BS here helped you out a bit..... ;)

• Upvote 1

Guess it's not fixed then. :(

Is this a confirmed bug? Or is it supposed behave like this?

Never had a rectifier, but as I can see here 

and what was modeled before on  all previous gen pod devices, the master of the rectifier is not correct. As well as the FAC of orange and ubeschalls presence.
  • Upvote 1

A day later offers perspective...I wasn't prepared to have an issue because of how flawless everything was up to that point. End of the day its pretty much back to where it was .... It happens.... I do appreciate the forum. I've been a part of it a long time way back when but don't usually post. Not really my thing until of late. But I've learned a lot of tricks here. Thank you.... Apologize for the rant.

• Upvote 1

Update procedure:

* Backed up tones (presets, setlists, bundles, Irs).

* Ran update via Helix Application v1.04 (including drivers, updater).

* Updated 'firmware' 1.6.5.

* Global reset (footswitches 9 & 10)

* Backup of tones again (with new firmware); importing IRs.

Everything worked fine this time - and still runs smoothly :)

Thank you so much!!

Still waiting for the 'real' editor - increasingly  with a bad grace :angry: ...

Why do people say to do a global reset and then restore patches from backup after firmware update?

The update instructions don't say to do this.

I'm wondering what the benefit is?

Maybe it's just like clearing all the snot out of your nose. It makes you feel better.

Never had a rectifier, but as I can see here 

and what was modeled before on  all previous gen pod devices, the master of the rectifier is not correct. As well as the FAC of orange and ubeschalls presence.

After listening to that video, that's actually similar to what I heard. Not exactly, but close. In the video it sounds like there is a mid-boost at one point, where on Helix it was more of a slight volume decrease around the same point, at least that's how I perceived it. But it didn't go far enough to see the rest of it.

Why do people say to do a global reset and then restore patches from backup after firmware update?

This has mainly to do with my very personal 'folder policy':

I store every material according to its firmware number.

Sometime twice. Doesn't hurt, though ;) ...

1. Backup presets and IRs with Helix App 1.03

Download and install the Line6 Driver2 ver. 1.77 (If you are a Windows user)

Download and install Line6 Updater 1.07  (some users reported issues installing this version without uninstalling the old version first, you can ignore the "certificate not signed" message)

Download and install Helix App 1.04

Upgrade to 1.06.5 version of the firmware using the Line6 Updater

Run the 9&10 global reset procedure

Restore presets with the Helix App 1.04

Got a question on saving bundles and new update..

I did this update and saved my user bundles ( User 1 then 2 then 3 ) but when I try and import a bundle all the Factory bundles get changed to the previous version as we"ll.   <_<

1. Download and inst
  2. Backup presets and IRs with Helix App 1.03
  3. all the Line6 Driver2 ver. 1.77 (If you are a Windows user)
  4. Download and install Line6 Updater 1.07  (some users reported issues installing this version without uninstalling the old version first, you can ignore the "certificate not signed" message)
  5. Download and install Helix App 1.04
  6. Upgrade to 1.06.5 version of the firmware using the Line6 Updater
  7. Run the 9&10 global reset procedure
  8. Restore presets with the Helix App 1.04

I did this update and saved my user bundles ( User 1 then 2 then 3 ) but when I try and import a bundle all the Factory bundles get changed to the previous version as we"ll.   <_<

The Helix installer includes drivers and updater (check out the install options).

My Helix is working quite well on 1.06.0... I don't wanna risk the update newest update.  Anyone else in that boat?

I didn't have any problems so far with 1.06.5. Nothing really to lose anymore by trying since there is a safe boot mode now. But I've always been of the mind wtf, just go for it, when it comes to stuff like this.

• Upvote 1

The firmware instructions actually do say to backup your presets and IRs under the "Resetting Helix Globals / Loading the Newest Factory Presets" section.

. The reason to back up presets & IRs is that, at least up until now has been that L6 recommended running the Global Reset procedure after each firmware update, and I found that things worked better if you did one, especially for the early firmware updates. However, it is a good question and I too am wondering if the global reset is still necessary and what the benefits are. The global reset seems to be optional according to the firmware instructions.

1. Backup presets and IRs with Helix App 1.03
  2. Download and install the Line6 Driver2 ver. 1.77 (If you are a Windows user)
  3. Download and install Line6 Updater 1.07  (some users reported issues installing this version without uninstalling the old version first, you can ignore the "certificate not signed" message)
  4. Download and install Helix App 1.04
  5. Upgrade to 1.06.5 version of the firmware using the Line6 Updater
  6. Run the 9&10 global reset procedure
  7. Restore presets with the Helix App 1.04

This is a really good point to bring up. A bundle seems to includes a backup of ALL presets on the Helix, factory, user, and template.  If you want to restore a bundle from an old firmware version, that means any tweaks, additions, or changes to the factory presets in the new firmware will be overwritten. It is a bad plan to restore bundles from old firmware versions. Instead, you want to save your customized presets to the User lists, back them up before a firmware update using the "Export Setlist" function, and then restore them using the "Import Setlist" function to a User list after your firmware upgrade.