Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

toggle switch woes

My new JTV59 has on two occasions completely lost it and decided to change models randomly (not done it again recently) and now the three-way toggle switch intermittently cuts out on occasions when changing from pickup to pickup but comes back to life if gently tapped (maybe a loose connection?). I had opened a support ticket up but Line6 gave me a list of support centres to get it checked out, the nearest being some 500kms away. I really don't want to send it back to a service centre here in Spain as I don't even like my guitars being breathed on by others (they already have my Helix due to a faulty mic input) and sending it by courier worries the hell out of me. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and fixed it without the need to send it back to a Line6 service centre. Many thanks in advance.

Cheers for the suggestion I will give it a blast but it's brand new and would surprise me if it were dirty contacts.

Shouldn't be, but "brand new" doesn't mean much anymore. QC ain't what it used to be. I bought a 7-string about a year ago. Major manufacturer that shall remain nameless...not a million dollar instrument, but not a $200 press board guitar either. Right out of the box, volume pot had issues. Sound cut in and out...jiggling it would bring it back to normal for a few minutes, then it would act up again. I didn't want to send it back either. One quick squirt, and it hasn't been a problem since.

I would really appreciate some "official" guidance from a Line6 member who could chip in with some advice other than sending her off 500kms across the country for some minor tweak that could be performed at home. By the way I am of course most grateful to Crusinon2 for his suggestion, but I don't want to go squirting stuff around just yet.

I would really appreciate some "official" guidance from a Line6 member who could chip in with some advice other than sending her off 500kms across the country for some minor tweak that could be performed at home. By the way I am of course most grateful to Crusinon2 for his suggestion, but I don't want to go squirting stuff around just yet.

Do whatever you're comfortable with, but as I said, appropriate contact cleaner is extraordinarily unlikely to hurt anything. No one would ever use it if it did, and it might very well solve your problem. It sure as hell beats spending hours in the car.

Either way, don't expect L6 to answer you in here. It's a user forum...they just host it. I know you tried a support ticket already, and unfortunately "go to an authorized service center" is the typical response for most issues...L6 seems to frown on users servicing anything themselves, no matter how idiot-proof, or mundane the fix. From where I sit, you've got nothing to lose by trying to clean it out...and I'll bet you next month's mortgage payment that if you take it in for service anywhere, that's the first thing they're gonna do.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to have to give it a whirl Crusinon2, but I am worried about damaging something. I have a Charvel Jackson Model 4 , which I have had from new and it has recently developed crackly pots, I read about someone ruining them by spraying the wrong type of contact cleaner on, so if you don't mind, could you suggest a particular brand. I live deep in the mountains of northern Spain so actually getting hold of anything is a challenge at the best of times so it's going to have to be via the Internet. A massive thanks for the help. Cheers.

I'm going to have to give it a whirl Crusinon2, but I am worried about damaging something. I have a Charvel Jackson Model 4 , which I have had from new and it has recently developed crackly pots, I read about someone ruining them by spraying the wrong type of contact cleaner on, so if you don't mind, could you suggest a particular brand. I live deep in the mountains of northern Spain so actually getting hold of anything is a challenge at the best of times so it's going to have to be via the Internet. A massive thanks for the help. Cheers.

I've used this before, with no problems:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BXKZVA/ref=cm_cr_mpr_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Any plastic safe contact cleaner should be fine, though. There are lots out there...just do a quick search and you'll find a bunch to choose from.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

What guitar do you have?  This thread is for JTV59 the other thread you posted the same quote is for JTV69.  They use somewhat different switching schemes for the (2-4) model selections.  

JTV59 tuning switch (toggles 2-4 positions) uses a push-push switch.  Mine became intermittent due to the switch shaft assembly loosening and merely needed to be lifted out of the body cavity and get to the shaft nut.  Once re-tightened the function works perfectly again.  

I dunno the JTV69 personally but check for any switches that appear to exhibit excessive play.  If you find play, dig further find out why and correct it.