Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

best custom tone - patches available on website

aerosol_d7

hello guys

I'd like to know what is the best custom tone in your opinion. I dont want to spend a lot of time searching for good ones (evaluating etc). I know that it can sound horrible with my gear, but I could use it to learn or test different configurations/combinations.

My patches are ok, I just need to have new insights....

examples with different amps would be nice, mostly Mesa boogie...or high gain

for podhd 500 or 500x

thanks

I would agree with cruisinon2 that downloading tones can actually end up being counter-productive.  You have to remember that there are so many variables outside of the POD such as type of guitar, type of pickups, whether you're output is to an amp, or FRFR speaker, and so forth that ultimately have a HUGE bearing on what a tone will sound like.  Your best bet is to download a few patches and them examine them in detail to see how they were set up.  Then play with the parameters a bit to examine how it affects YOUR rig.

In my opinion you'll never get the best out of your POD until you can begin to master the settings yourself and understand how to create and maniputate patches to match your specific needs.  This comes with the dual benefit that when you do take the system live and need to make adjustments, you'll know what you need to do and how to do it.

On the plus side;

You can get a completely different way to get a tone. One you'd never think of. In other words there are suprises.

\When you have some time downloading customtones that have the most downloads is a good place to start.

The problem is there are so many but just pick a bunch of random tones and down load.

Overwrite the ones that don't work for you straight away with your new tone nothing patch but be sure to check the patch out some first toggling on and off presets

It is a good way to get some routing ideas to.

I am new to the POD HD500X as in three days new.  So for my three cents ... it's a toss up for me.  I do like doing everything myself using the manual, the help files, and the various videos I have already watched.  However, I have been moving through the forum and just downloaded and opened two patched shared by other members to see how the tones & gain compare with what I have done.  Three for me and two for the forum.  Due to the power surge 3 minutes ago (storming in California) I have shut down all but my laptop which is off the grid.  So, what I did realize is that I have a particular way I like to add and place my effects as well as the tone.

The jury is still out due to mother nature, but I believe I'll do the majority myself then search for patches that sound like something I'd be interested in and tweak them to my flavor of liking.  Later I am sure I'll realize I've missed out and completely change my approach.  But I am new as well.

Dennis

After a few years of going it totally on my own for sound creation I downloaded various starred patches and many of them are very very good. It is a great resource so I recommend it.Many users here have gotten a lot better at building patches. The metal and Petrucci patches are excellent as are many P & W tones. I was pleasantly surprised.

YMMV

That's my case, I'd like to see something creative and different from my own patches and possibly add to them. That's the idea.

Hope some others share some new examples

Thanks jtsc

Late to the discussion, as ever, but here's a contribution:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1811263/

Good, *really* clean tones seem a bit thin on the ground, which prompted me to make this dual Jazz Rivet (Roland JC-120) patch. Hope it helps. I appreciate that not everyone has bought the model pack with the JC-120 and this is not Mesa Boogie and the opposite of high gain, but that's the Internet for you.

Hey, so I've finally gotten around to making a custom tone profile. The link is in my signature and there are several bare bones high gain tones in there.

They sound good to my ear, let me know what you think

You have good tones there, however I put combo power amp, direct/pa was too horrible with my gear. How do you set it up with yours?

You seem to like uber with tread cab, bass 0.... What guitar are you using? Thanks a lot

Thanks. I set up the outputs to direct. I built the tones through my Alto TS112a wedge using an Ibanez SIR27FD with DiMarzio Ionizers. I use the Tread cab for just about all my tones and often kill the bass to more focus the mids.

The uber sounds pretty close to my 5150 patch (the one I use the most and have had the longest) and I literally threw those other patches together in no time.

Yes, i used the same patches, though I basically had just 1 clean, 1 crunch, and 1 high gain patch. I originally made them almost a year ago, listening through some desktop speakers that I had used for recording, and the patches sounded fine through amp and cab. Then I made the switch and the sound translated pretty well, but they've always been evolving and still are.

Now with a loud, flat response 12 inch speaker moving the air I can really hear nuances in peram changes in my patches and have made a bunch more.

My old high gain patch was the Panama and Big Bottom amps, which had been refined into my current 5150 patch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll check it out next time I'm sitting down with the unit

Edit: well that didn't take long. I get home in the wife is ready to nap with a baby so that gives me some time :D

I hooked everything up and my Tred patch isn't any louder then my other patches. Nothing is clipping over here.

And to comment on the fizz coming from your "cheap monitors", every time I put my pod through inadequate speakers I hear more thin fizz on just everything

• Upvote 1