Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I'm in the POD hate phase

kpsion

kpsion

No problem with that already achieved a metal sound that sits in a mix , have dynamic that's not the issue.

My concern is really the mid high and high scope, where digital unit are often bad

There's plenty of upper-mid and high-end potential if you play around with the options. Have you tried the Screamer with the tone and treble cranked up >50%, drive above 25%, output maxed (or close to it), with some presence and treble boost in the amp tone stack?  Just for example. The Screamer is a good tool for opening up the upper-mid and high end.

One other thing - how do you have the Mixer set up? For the best single amp tone, put everything in the chain on Path A (upper path in Edit display). Set Path A gain to desired level and Path A pan to Center. *Mute* Path B. Get rid of it!. Listen to the difference: the tone is sharper, louder, more focused. This might help.

Still, it's very hard to be sure what you are trying to achieve - and talking about tone can be like dancing about architecture :-)

Here is a short noodling to compare with first tube drive and secondly VT999

Thanks for posting this. I've got to sleep now but I will listen to the comparisons in the morning and respond properly then. Can you just say which amp, cab and mic you are using in the POD? Thanks and sorry for the delay.

Thanks for posting this. I've got to sleep now but I will listen to the comparisons in the morning and respond properly then. Can you just say which amp, cab and mic you are using in the POD? Thanks and sorry for the delay.

Don't worry mate ;) , we are not at work here 

I've repost the video cause youtube seems to dislike my previous 1fps video, now it's readable.

Setting are quite simple

Tube driver :  20 drive , Eq flat or near, volume 75 or 80 or VT999 in the fx loop same place than tubedriver

Treadplate : 25 drive and rest 50 (flat)

Cab V30 and mic U87 here

Globally both sound aren't bad but i feel tube drive lack a bit of life and that's globally my point, have this special/digital mids and highs texture...

i've set the sounds the closest i can to compare and VT999 adds the subtle grittle or life in the sound..

Hey, nice riff :) Played it on different volumes on my Canton-PC Sound-System but I´m not able to define some valuable differences. Both tones sounds good to me.

I have to say I preferred the tube drive version over the VT999.  To my ear it sounded just a bit tighter and better defined, closer to what I'd want in a studio recording so that it doesn't get lost in the mix of other instruments.  But that's a matter of preference I think.  I tend to lean toward a refined studio sound and you may be seeking a more traditional live sound.

For reference I was listening on a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors.

kpsion, on 24 Feb 2016 - 5:31 PM, said:

i've set the sounds the closest i can to compare and VT999 adds the subtle grittle or life in the sound..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ism0MB0pH_M

Both pretty nice tones :) To my ears, the first tone (POD) is just slightly less overdriven but has a touch more midrange / presence than the second (Behringer). The Behringer does sound a little bit more gritty, but also a bit flatter (to me, YMMV, of course). To try and get them closer (IMO, and using quality headphones *direct* to POD), I did this:

Tube Drive

Bass = 40

Mid = 35 - 40

Treb = 15

Drive = 25

Output = >80 - max (closer to max than your setting; you have higher-gain p/ups than those I am using so you will need to dial this in yourself)

This wasn't perfect. I preferred switching away from Tube Drive to Line 6 Drive and starting at these settings:

Bass = 50

Mid = 50

Treb = 40

[set to your preference]

Drive = >20

Output = >80

[set to your preference]

I also like to turn the Master Gain DEP on the amp up a bit for more bite and grit.

Probably none of this will help, but it has been fun to try :)

hi

I'l will give a try with line 6 drive

Globally i would say that yes both sounds are nice, the only point is that hardly descriptible savior that tube adds, sound is a bit more focused are has more personnality, in regards with tube drive it's really clean but a bit cold...

Even if VT999 is an entry level tube drive, and most important a low voltage solid state + Tube stomp, it does a good job enhancing sound.

Another try i'll maybe do, is inserting a stereo tube preamp between pod and active speaker to see if that helps.

For my concern i'll check solution you provided

hi

I'l will give a try with line 6 drive

Globally i would say that yes both sounds are nice, the only point is that hardly descriptible savior that tube adds, sound is a bit more focused are has more personnality, in regards with tube drive it's really clean but a bit cold...

Even if VT999 is an entry level tube drive, and most important a low voltage solid state + Tube stomp, it does a good job enhancing sound.

Another try i'll maybe do, is inserting a stereo tube preamp between pod and active speaker to see if that helps.

For my concern i'll check solution you provided

I've been using one of these for a couple of months now, in an effort to add a little of that tube "warmth" you describe:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP/

There is a slight difference, though it is hard to put into words exactly what it does to the tone, but I can tell when it's on or off. Regarding placement in the signal chain...on the advice of someone here on the forums, I put it as the very first thing in the chain. Anywhere else, and the only discernable effect it had was over-the-top compression. The closer to the end of the chain I put it, the worse it got. I suspect you may find similar results putting a tube preamp between the POD and your speaker(s).

I actually use the ART TubeMP, but I use it on the output of an electronic drum kit before it feeds into a Mackie Thump 12 speaker used as the stage monitor for the drums.  It's a pretty typical preamp in that you have to manage the level of the signal coming into it and carefully manage it's output to get the "warming" results.  It's no problem on the electronic drums because the preamp on the drum unit is pretty rudimentary so there's not as much risk overdriving the speaker's input and hitting the compressor/limiter.  I'm not sure the same would be true for the POD unless you were really controlling the output level from the master volume control.  Even then it might be a problem because the preamp in the POD is pretty robust.

I actually use the ART TubeMP, but I use it on the output of an electronic drum kit before it feeds into a Mackie Thump 12 speaker used as the stage monitor for the drums. It's a pretty typical preamp in that you have to manage the level of the signal coming into it and carefully manage it's output to get the "warming" results. It's no problem on the electronic drums because the preamp on the drum unit is pretty rudimentary so there's not as much risk overdriving the speaker's input and hitting the compressor/limiter. I'm not sure the same would be true for the POD unless you were really controlling the output level from the master volume control. Even then it might be a problem because the preamp in the POD is pretty robust.

True, you can't really be driving it too hard, and I'm definitely not. Even in front of a clean patch, it doesn't cause any break-up at all...not sure why it gives such a hideous compression-type effect elsewhere in the chain. Who knows?

thanks guys for feedback

A friend of mine have some tube preamp, i'll give a try.

Theorically i feel a flat response tube preamp should ony had overtones related to tubes response, but pratically .. seems weird from what you are describing :/

IMHO tube tend to focus a bit sounds on midrange but it's hard to precisely identify where, and changes upper mids and high spectrum to a sweeter one, maybe harmonics parity stuff..

I got irritated too, so I did this

One thing I love over my old X3 is having multiple banks bank sets...

It sounds like you are a tone head like me

So I'm gonna make a suggestion...

Do what I finally did...

Take one full bank set and just set each one up with all of the amps, no effects...

Then play with the amp, cabs and mic settings...

Get basic good tones then add in effects...

I did set up a basic effects line to work with including a volume pedal, a noise gate in front of the amp, a graphic eq set to flat to boost signal on lower volume amps, and a noise gate after...

And just play with the amps....

Then transfer tones/amps to your other set list banks to add and tweek effects...

It really opens up so much, gives you an idea on what wonderful things this unit can do without coloring your tone with effect first....

Gets you to understand your amps better...

Get the upgrade package amps too...

I found that I ended up using Amps that I normally wouldn't even consider...

I KNOW it was because we tend to default to the amps we know...

I found myself using the Engl, and Bogner patches over the Soldono and JCM 800 and 2204 I would normally use...

Also I used to HATE distortion pedals, I want sounds out of my amp...

After I set up basic amp patches, I tried the effects into each one and found that the Roland Jazz amp and the Bassman sound great with different distortion and drive pedals in front...

I would also suggest getting a Line 6 L3t or L2t.... And the smart cable to attach the unit....

The options I have now, and versatility is incredible....

Don't give up, it's there...

Every time I go into guitar enter and like an amp I'm playing through, I come home and get that tone out of my HD500x...

The global EQ is also a life saver if you have a tone you love but have to play at lower volumes...

Or do a quick cut or boost of a frequency without wanting to mess up your patches...

I might eventually post all of my basic amps on the custom tone...

It was a lot of work

But well worth it

Thanks for suggestions

I will give a try to Line6 speaker , in guitar center, but for the moment they do not have....

For the moment , i will stay the normal way until i find a FRFR solution fitting my needs, just bought a old Peavey tube power amp that gives the POD some life.

But the bad thing, it's f*******g heavy, like a dead horse, ouch :)

I'm really glad to see that my video series has helped in the creating of tones and patches.

The one bit of advice that I can give that I think is probably THE most important when creating patches etc is to take regular breaks away from the HD500X. Let your ears have a rest. If you just keep on and on with tweaking, your ears will make you start to doubt yourself. That's why you'll find that that perfect patch that you created the night before, sounds completely different the following day.

Peter.

• Upvote 1

If you just keep on and on with tweaking, your ears will make you start to doubt yourself. That's why you'll find that that perfect patch that you created the night before, sounds completely different the following day.

Peter.

Amen...the reverse is also true. When you come back to a patch the next day and say "Wow!", then you know you've got a winner...leave it alone! ;)

Hi all

I come back after a rehearsal with my new setup AKA Pod HD pro X and old Peavey classic 50/50,  pluggued in a Bugera cab here in rehersal studio

Config is same a in homestudio  : studio direct output , global EQ to cut low freq

I must confess it's just insane, we are started a metallica tribute band, so this kind of sound in tube power amp just sound like hell, f****g wild and agressive like a real good tube amp does.

if you find this piece of gear , that cost nothing as it's as old as heavy, definetly give it a try...