Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Made it to the POD HD500X family

jpdennis

For the past three weeks the other guitarist & I have been going amp-less.  Last Friday & Saturday the sound engineer and I finally came to an agreement as to the closest tonal quality I could achieve.  Yet, I have been reading about the POD HD series for as long the family have been in existence.  However, having several quality tube amps to use for various venues seemed to make it easier to stick with the past then move to the present.  And I have quite an array on my pedaltrain board as well as a Floor Pod Plus I have started to use more regularly.  I do like it for recording when I have time to manipulate it in the studio, but live felt very limited.

But having GAS ... I have traded in one of my M13 pedals and my Floor Pod Plus last Sunday.  Came home with a POD HD500X.  Thank God I understand computers as well as music.  It is amazing!  Already had the opportunity to read, watch videos, read some more, watch more videos, jump in, make mistakes, correct mistakes, start over ... OK you all get the picture.  Can't wait for the next practice and gig!

Looks like I have been assimilated!

Dennis

• Upvote 1

Just remember ---- 

The 'sound engineer' works for you. Sure, he is hired to do a job based on his experience and is to offer advice based on that same experience, but ultimately you are his boss. When it comes down to the final decision, he does what you say. If you like the sound, use the sound. Fire him if he continues to be insubordinate. 

Thanks all.  Not to throw the sound engineer under the bus; he did get a great tonality quality based upon me using a Floor Pod Plus.  And he did work his fingers to the bone to do it.  But comparing the quality of my various Mesa amps it just didn't get on center due to the Floor Pod; good but not great,  However, the HD500X is amazing.  My only question is ... When do I stop making patches? ;) I have created 7 myself and downloaded two that I have tweaked.  I have saved various times; 7 bundles, 9 set-lists, & 23 songs.  And I only have about 15+ hours into this thing.  I feel I could get stuck in tonal creation dark hole and my lower extremities are numb.  :lol:  But, it is going to be well worth it!!!  Now if my wife would only remember what I look like and let me back into the house. :wacko: 

One last thing to note is the POD is easy to carry compared to my 80+ lb amps.  But I may need to go to gym now that I'm not being taxed physically. Ha!

Dennis

A word of warning, you can get enveloped in creating patches you find out over time you really have no use for them.  I did that on my last modeling rig and it took me days to weed through and clean out unused patches to clean things up at one point.  But, I have to admit it was a useful learning experience.

This time around, however, I decided to organize my efforts up front.  I'm really hoping it pays off without having to go into cleanup mode at some point.  We'll see how it goes this time....

George Lucas has often said that you don't release a movie when it is finished, you finish a movie when it is time to release it. You set a deadline and when that deadline comes, you are done. 

So, as far as how many patches you need to make... 

Sometimes we need to quit tweaking and just play. Otherwise, you will never stop tweaking and will never play. 

A word of warning, you can get enveloped in creating patches you find out over time you really have no use for them.  I did that on my last modeling rig and it took me days to weed through and clean out unused patches to clean things up at one point.  But, I have to admit it was a useful learning experience.

This time around, however, I decided to organize my efforts up front.  I'm really hoping it pays off without having to go into cleanup mode at some point.  We'll see how it goes this time....

Yep!  I got a M13 in 2011 and spent several months (an hour here, 4 hours there, etc.) while gigging and ended up actually creating 12 scenes each in all four folders on my own.  Fast forward to today ... I use 5 of those scenes out of the 48 only because I played with 2 bands and I now use 3 with the one band I stuck with.  It was a great learning curve as far as how to chain them and what can go into my other pedals, and etc. etc.  This time around I am being cautious.  The longest effort was in using the GEQs (thank you Mr Hanmer) to reduce the unwanted and annoying frequencies.  Of course it does help that I have an excellent knowledge of computer systems so thighs are backed up.  I had an extra M13 so my old board is still in tact for those places I can use my Mesas.  But this HD500X is now ready for the studio tonight and our small room/stage gigs ... several coming up.

George Lucas has often said that you don't release a movie when it is finished, you finish a movie when it is time to release it. You set a deadline and when that deadline comes, you are done. 

So, as far as how many patches you need to make... 

Sometimes we need to quit tweaking and just play. Otherwise, you will never stop tweaking and will never play. 

Amen, POD ready [check] ... going to move forward [check] ... ready! :D

Dennis

Yep, had the same problem years ago when I had a HD500 before I went to tube amps etc, spent all my time tweaking and never getting a decent sound, now I'm in a band and have a purpose it's much easier to just build patches for our songs, I only use 3 patches now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what a strange trip it's been.  After 10 days of ownership I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse.

Deal is to send back the HD500X and receive the Helix.  I have learned so much from this forum and want to thank you all for everything shared and how information is so freely given.  I am moving to the Helix forum but may be back form time to time to see ideas for settings since signal chain path is always a challenge.

Respectfully,

Dennis

One thing I love over my old X3 is having multiple banks bank sets...

It sounds like you are an amp lover like me...

So I'm gonna make a suggestion...

Do what I finally did...

Take one full bank set and just set each one up with all of the amps, no effects...

Then play with the amp, cabs and mic settings...

Get basic good tones then add in effects...

I did set up a basic effects line to work with including a volume pedal, a noise gate in front of the amp, a graphic eq set to flat to boost signal on lower volume amps, and a noise gate after...

And just play with the amps....

Then transfer tones/amps to your other set list banks to add and tweek effects...

It really opens up so much, gives you an idea on what wonderful things this unit can do without coloring your tone with effect first....

Gets you to understand your amps better...

Get the upgrade package amps too...

Have fun bro!!!!

I would also suggest getting a Line 6 L3t or L2t.... And the smart cable to attach the unit....

The options I have now, and versatility is increadable....

Welcome to the family....