Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Staff squeaky expression pedal answer?

Gawwuf

Well... now mine has started to squeak.

I've read the other posts on this but I haven't seen a definitive answer from Line 6 Staff about the appropriate way to de squeak it.

Anyone get an answer from either a ticket or from some official source?

I'm a bit leary about applying anything to these components without word from on high.

Silicone spray would probably do the trick and should not harm the pivot point, but I don't know for sure.

It probably would, but I would really like to use what Line 6 intended for this, but if I don't hear something soon I'll have to take a shot in the dark.

It probably would, but I would really like to use what Line 6 intended for this, but if I don't hear something soon I'll have to take a shot in the dark.

My guess is they didn't intend anything for this. If they did, it would have been lubricated in the first place.

After using chapstick on mine some time ago, and after considerable use, it's still working beautifully.

Just found an "official" answer from another thread.

Someone else opened a ticket for this issue and was told to "take it to an authorized repair center"

My closest one is an hour away.... guess I'll rip this baby open.

After using chapstick on mine some time ago, and after considerable use, it's still working beautifully.

That's all the evidence I'd need. I wouldn't go dumping a quart of Penzoil in there, but I seriously doubt these units would be brought to their knees by chapstick or anything similar, applied conservatively.

Just found an "official" answer from another thread.

Someone else opened a ticket for this issue and was told to "take it to an authorized repair center"

My closest one is an hour away.... guess I'll rip this baby open.

That's a shame they're telling people to do this. It's a complete waste of time and money.

Well... now mine has started to squeak.

I've read the other posts on this but I haven't seen a definitive answer from Line 6 Staff about the appropriate way to de squeak it.

Anyone get an answer from either a ticket or from some official source?

I'm a bit leary about applying anything to these components without word from on high.

Same here. Mine is getting very loud.   What should we do Line 6?

Hey Guys,

If you are experiencing a squeaky pedal, please open up a ticket with our customer support. 

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

They have to tell them that. You know someone would take it apart and break it. Plus they want your warranty in tact.

You're probably right. But I don't think they're going to go out of their way to tell people not to fix it themselves, either. I suspect they'd rather not have people send them to a repair place. Anyone can come on these forums to search for the solution. It's easy enough to find.

And they might have already put something in place in the manufacturing process.

• Upvote 1

Plus they want your warranty in tact.

No they don't. Warranty works costs them money. No company wants to do warranty jobs. Easiest way out of that is a twit who voided said warranty with a sledge hammer, or by soaking the squeaky expression pedal in a gallon of used motor oil.

But...they also don't want 10,000 units coming back for a squeaky pedal, when there's an absurdly simple fix. It would be a lot of time and money spent on a stupid problem.

I have it from a very reliable source which I cannot reveal so please don't ask me to... during the assembly of these units the bushing between the pedal and the actual mount was left dry (not deliberately) the rest of the axle has lube on it, that is where the problem lies so if you just add the small drop of lube at the right side of the pedal axel bushing you will have no more squeaks.

I have it from a very reliable source which I cannot reveal so please don't ask me to... during the assembly of these units the bushing between the pedal and the actual mount was left dry (not deliberately) the rest of the axle has lube on it, that is where the problem lies so if you just add the small drop of lube at the right side of the pedal axel bushing you will have no more squeaks.

Ahh, the assembly line "oopsie"...always a favorite. Friends, Romans, Helixers, lend me your ears...Procedeth henceforth to the nearest hardware store and aquire thyself some white silicon grease (or failing that to Walgreens and get chapstick), and all thy squeaks shall come to an abrupt and satisfying end. ;)

• Upvote 2

Mine had a mic input issue, it was sent back to a service centre 500kms away and after a week or so it came back with a wonky phones knob and a wah pedal that sqeaks and clunks like hell. I opened a support ticket and was told to send it back to a service centre.... but I am concerned that will it come back with more issues as that was what happened the first time. Should I or should I not?

Mine had a mic input issue, it was sent back to a service centre 500kms away and after a week or so it came back with a wonky phones knob and a wah pedal that sqeaks and clunks like hell. I opened a support ticket and was told to send it back to a service centre.... but I am concerned that will it come back with more issues as that was what happened the first time. Should I or should I not?

In my experience, "authorized service centers" leave a lot to be desired. If it already came back once with more problems than it had when you sent it out, I certainly wouldn't send it back to the same place.

I had a similar experience with my L2T. It had the faulty, rattling fan assembly. There's an authorized service center 10 minutes from me...they had it for almost a month, replaced the fan (allegedly), and gave it back to me with the exact same problem. For repair attempt #2, I sent it back to the mothership. To their credit, L6 paid the freight the second time...but you probably won't manage to get that unless you actually get a human on the phone and go through the whole "I already tried to have this thing fixed once" routine.

It's a real pity about line6 QC. The products would be amazing if they didn't have so many problems related to quality issues. Last year I had two HD500X one after the other had faults from new so back they went. Then, when I heard about the new Helix I thought I would give Line6 another chance and got the JTV59 (faulty toggle switch/occasionally selects models at random) and the Helix, which as you know has its history. That's four different products,each one problematic. And when a product is "serviced" it comes back with two more added problems. All I get from opening a support ticket up is "contact your service centre"....equals....total loss of confidence in Line 6 products and customer service. Not a great advert for a supposedly serious professional company with Yamaha connections I would have hoped for better. Personally I can't honestly see me risking buying anything else by Line6 due to my experiences with them. Maybe I have been unlucky. You guys decide.

It's a real pity about line6 QC. The products would be amazing if they didn't have so many problems related to quality issues. Last year I had two HD500X one after the other had faults from new so back they went. Then, when I heard about the new Helix I thought I would give Line6 another chance and got the JTV59 (faulty toggle switch/occasionally selects models at random) and the Helix, which as you know has its history. That's four different products,each one problematic. And when a product is "serviced" it comes back with two more added problems. All I get from opening a support ticket up is "contact your service centre"....equals....total loss of confidence in Line 6 products and customer service. Not a great advert for a supposedly serious professional company with Yamaha connections I would have hoped for better. Personally I can't honestly see me risking buying anything else by Line6 due to my experiences with them. Maybe I have been unlucky. You guys decide.

If I had that list of issues, with that many different products, I'd probably be shopping elsewhere too...I've had a bunch of L6 stuff over the years. L2T was the only thing that had a problem.

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with the 500X's?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also experiencing the dreaded squeak.
Won't ship the unit for just this though as it's very inconvenient, potentially expensive to do so.
I hope it's possible to add some grease without opening the unit. With a thin sheet metal strip perhaps, a razor blade?

I managed to fix the squeak on my Helix.

1) loosened the pedal hex bolt to the point where I could fit a narrow sheet metal ruler between the bushings.

2) applied a thin layer of teflon oil to both sides of the ruler edge - thin enough that it didn't drip

3) inserted the ruler under the pedal from the heel right side between the bushings

4) rocked the pedal a couple of times to get the oil to stick

5) removed the ruler, rocked some more, tightened the bolt and kept on rocking :)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

had the dreaded squeaky pedal and I fixed it very easily, I loosened the tension bolt with the wrench until the pedal was real floppy. I took a knife and coated the end with grease. I lifted the pedal up and went from thr toe end in underneath and slide the knife between the bushing and worked the grease in. I did the same on the outside. I worked up and down, tighted the bolt and it is quiet now. It took 5 minutes.

I backed the tension with the supplied Alan wrench , used a couple of blasts of white grease ( lithium ) and squeaking is gone.

However , backed out the bolt too much and pedal was not realigning properly. I am not sure if this is designed this way, but I would think there would be a stop nut , to prevent this.

I have back in, but it's not quite right . The pedal works fine, but it rubs a little against the helix frame

Sweetwater will send me a brand new helix, but I found a service center 10 minutes away. The guy told me thinks it can be fixed in a few minutes while I wait, which I appreciate both sweet waters quick offer to resolve this and the service center willing to fix while I wait. It seems like the nut / bolt is a simple issue ( I hope) . I really don't want a new helix as this ones tubes are broken in ðŸ˜

I need to fix the squeak on my expression pedal. Has there been an official reply from Line 6 regarding what type of lubricant should be used?

Outside of opening a support ticket, they've been really quiet about this. Does anyone know what they're telling people who do open a ticket?

(dumb) question: does one have to take the bottom off of the Helix, to access the hex adjustment of the expression pedal? I noticed a squeak recently but it's not horrible (yet).

No, the hex adjustment is done without removing anything. You should of received a large hex wrench , and you adjust without opening anything .... My issue was that I apparently backed out the hex and somehow it wouldn't go back in

Frank R was very accommodating and told me I could ship it back to line 6 to get fixed and will only take a week. I actually got the nut back in and used a little white grease (lithium ) in a can the stays like WD 40 ( BUT DONT USE WD40)

Anyway, all good so far, just a word of caution that if you spray it, it will get on some of the printed circuit board, so some of these guys took the back off, and applied a light coating by hand , that's much better and safer I think than what I did.