Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firehawk advice

snazza

Hi Chaps, after a bit of advice on the above ......

Never had a modelling type rig before, just looking to get one for some home practice/rehersals ....I cant justify the outlay on a helix right now .....so looking to go the 'cheap' route (plus the app editing side of things floats my boat)

I had a brief play around with one of these about 8/9 months ago ...but was put off by the lag on changings patches. I understand however that there has been a recent software update that 'cures' this? anyone have any experience?

Also, am I right in saying that if I go through the FX loop on my amp, the sounds I generate in the Firehawk will come through un-coloured by the amp itself?

How are the drives on the Firehawk? I like an organic sounding drive and want to try and avoid that nasally processed thing.

I am a luddite with these things .....so forgive me if any of the terminology above is off...

look forward to any replies

snaz

Patch changing is quicker than it was and the weird sounds you used to get have been fixed, so it is smoother than before but not perfect, there is still a noticeable gap of anywhere between 100mS to 250mS, thats more in line with most modellers these days though

If you plug guitar into firehawk and then from firehawk into your amps fx return jack then yeah you only use the poweramp part of the amp , obviously different speakers will yield different results but the tone stack in your amp will be bypassed, so yes it is mostly uncoloured and the preferred way to run it if you intend to use the amp models in the firehawk (may sound better with the cab model turned off though, as you're using a real cab and not a full range speaker)

Some of the amps and drives can get a bit nasal to be honest but usually an eq cut somewhere between 3-4khz will sort that right out

If you need any more help at all be sure to ask

Good luck

Thanks Mcb ......it does sound like this could be a go-er for me .......in fact I may nip out and pick one up later!!

Im sure I will have loads more questions ..........in fact one  of the top of my head ......is there a preferred set of headphones to use with this unit, I know all the phones I have right now tend to be a little heavy on the bass .....so I would like to get something that's going to sound as close as I can get to playing through a rig/Pa ...

thanks in advance

snaz

Any studio open backed headphones will do the job, beyerdynamic dt990 sound good and are comfortable

I picked up these for 30 quid

http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681-evo-black-professional-monitor-headphones

Very very good for the money, sound very similar to the beyerdynamic set and about a quarter of the price