Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Pro X setup problem?

PaulRGuitar

Hello guys, I just bought the POD HD Pro X and I have a problem. The patches I downloaded from youtube people (Ola Englund, Fluff) and the patches I bought from a guy that sound awesome in their demos sound very harsh, thin and have no punch at all on my device. (They all used the HD Pro, does that matter? but USB aswell and no post processing)

I use a Schecter Hellraise C-1 with active EMGs (and have the PAD button pressed), USB connection, headphones (monitors already ordered) and a PC with WIndows 10 and all Line 6 drivers installed.

My settings look like this:

1/12 Utilities (Flash FW: V2.62, USB FW V1.04)

1 FS Mode: ABCD

2 AMP Knobs Display: Momentary ON

3 Looper FS Display: All Views

4 Trails: ON

2/12 Utilities

1 LCD Contrast: 45

2 Tap Temp LED: off

3 AC Frequency: 60 Hz

4 FBV Express: off

3/12 Inputs

1 Input 1 source: Guitar

2 Input 2 source: Variay

3 Guitar in-z: 1M

4 Inputs Setup: Preset

4/12 Outputs

1 Mode: Studio/Direct

5/12 Digital Output

1 Digital Output: Match Outputs

2 Sample Rate: 44,1 kHz

3 Digital Level 0 dB

4 Digital Format: S/PDIF

6/12 Midi/Tempo

1 Midi Channel: 1

2 Midi out/thru: out

3 Tempo Sync: Preset

4 Tempo: 120 BPM

7/12 Variax

1 Variax Control: Preset

8/12 Variax

1 Variax Tuning: N/A

9/12 L6 Link: Audio

1 AMP: left/right

2 AMP left/right

3 AMP left

4 AMP right

10/12 L6 Link: Control

1 AMP 1: AMP A (CH 1)

2 AMP 2: AMP B (CH 2)

3 AMP 3: Midi CH 3

4 AMP 4: Midi CH 3

11/12 Global EQ: on

1 Band Select: Low Cut

2 Frequency: 20 HZ

12/12 Model Packs

Standard Model Set

please help me :(

greetings

Paul

The only thing that jumps out at me are your settings on 3/12 Inputs.  Normally my POD HD ProX is set to

Input 1 Source: Guitar

Input 2 Source: Same

Guitar In-Z: Auto

Inputs Setup:  Preset

It seems like I read some info on this board somewhere about the routing of the stereo signals being messed up if Input 1 and Input 2 are mismatched.  Try correcting that and see what happens.  Also on 11/12 Global EQ, that's only the first parameter in a set of parameters that you choose by selecting with dial 1.  Someone may have done something with Global EQ's but the easiest thing is this case is to simply press the Enter button and turn Global EQ off.

Other than that you need to read the manual and familiarize yourself with all your options so you can understand what's going on.

There are many variables involved in producing the sound you hear in a YouTube video. It's not at all unusual to find a patch that you download does not sound like the recording you heard. There's much more than the preset and device settings involved. The most important differences include the guitar being used, the amp/speakers being used, and the recording methods.

I suggest you spend your time trying to find sounds that you like by creating your own presets rather than trying (usually in vain) to figure out why a preset you downloaded doesn't sound the way you think it should.

Well, I requestes a patch like Angel Vivaldi on SBSoundlab and he did the patch for me. He does not use any post processing just the guitar and the POD via usb with active EMGs aswell. He sent me the demo and it sounded great. I tried the patch and it sounded like lollipop, not even nearly the tone he got.

I see you are using headphones to monitor the tone. That in itself can make it sound very different from the recording. When you listened to the recording, were you using your POD as the audio interface, with the same headphones?

Maybe the guitar he recorded with wasn't a Schecter Hellraise C-1. Maybe the EMG pickups were a different model. Maybe he didn't use the PAD. Maybe he mic'd a physical amp/speaker for the recording? Did he record with the POD Global EQ on or off? ....Maybe one or more of a dozen other things.... All and each will result in a difference in the tone you hear on your device from the recorded tone you hear.

As I said this is not uncommon. If you really want to pursue this, open the preset in the editor and start tweaking it.

... But I dont think a great tone just gets completely destroyed by different gear....

Actually, it does.

There's nothing wrong with your settings that I can see - at least nothing that wouldn't be reset by the preset you've loaded in.

Here's a test you can do. Download a bunch of tones/presets from customtone and try them out. See if they sound anything like their description. Understand that the person who uploaded them did so because he/she thought they sounded just as they described them (despite the fact that they didn't record them). Draw your own conclusions.

Here's an anecdote from last week. Take it for what ever you think it's worth.

I've been getting together with a buddy of mine for decades to jam every now and then. We're not pros. He's had and used the same electric guitar for all that time - never played another during our jams. A couple of years ago I gave him a Pocket POD to play with, and he's kept it. He's built up a set of presets that he uses when we play together. He and I both know how they sound.

He's looking to purchase a new guitar so I suggested he play my Variax to get a feel for how different types of guitars sound different. He began to play my Variax using his tried and true Pocket POD presets. They sounded like $hit. He initially thought, of course, that his Pocket POD was screwed up. I assured him it was due to the different guitar. And they sounded a very different kind of $hit with each different Variax model. He spent the night tweaking every preset and could not believe that a change in guitars could do that.

FWIW......

Thanks guys, you at least motivated me to try to create some patches on my own. In the patches I downloaded, the guitar does not make a real difference (playe with Schecter Hellraiser C-1 and PRS SE Santana). Maybe some of you could test the two patches and tell me if they sound like the sample the guy send me (maybe my POD is broken?).

Lead: http://www.mediafire.com/download/31nwwbygd8g38i2/SB_Music_-_Angel_Vivaldi_Lead.pxe

Rythm: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i27epbjoa6dmy8f/SB_Music_-_Angel_Vivaldi_Rhythm.pxe

Sample: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/9u8ea7ob6fch1a9/Angel_Vivaldi_Rhythm_%26_Lead_Sample.mp3