Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First gig with Helix tomorrow: Any tips?

greekjgg

1. Going to back up my patches on a thumb drive

2. What else would be a good practice?

3. Is there a quick tip trouble shooting guide?

4. Anything in particular to be prepared for?

If had issues with equipment before during a show and sometimes the pressure of the gig catches you off guard

If you've rehearsed full volume with the exact patches and similar PA, you might be fine, but I'd still recommend you bring your amp or previous modeler as a backup. Expect to have to make some adjustments / iterations from one gig to the next. Good luck!

I'm pretty comfortable withe the modeling at higher volumes and the simplicity of the Helix makes it easier to make small adjustments on the fly finally!

I'm sorta looking for a "quick tips" of if this happens do this and don't freak out!

JG

1. Going to back up my patches on a thumb drive

2. What else would be a good practice?

3. Is there a quick tip trouble shooting guide?

4. Anything in particular to be prepared for?

If had issues with equipment before during a show and sometimes the pressure of the gig catches you off guard

You are going to have a blast with the Helix! Remember the global EQ if you need a quick overall tweak to all your presets due to the room or PA characteristics. Holding down the "Bypass" button is the shortcut for engaging it. I always bring my old rig as a backup just in case.

• Upvote 1

Before gigs I go into global settings and turn the volume wheel OFF. So front of house support gets a consistent level in case you bump the knob. Also check your overall levels between patches. Although the helix has been better about that than any other gear I've had

• Upvote 1

Before gigs I go into global settings and turn the volume wheel OFF. So front of house support gets a consistent level in case you bump the knob. Also check your overall levels between patches. Although the helix has been better about that than any other gear I've had

Great tip!!

Seeing as the Volume wheel is programmable, I'm going to amend my IdeaScale suggestion.  Instead of creating a shortcut to the Preset Volume, make it available on the main Volume Wheel.

All great stuff agreed!

1. What about any common "symptoms" of a possible issue to be aware of? And the quick fix? 
  2. An early warnings that a reboot needs to happen? 
  3. An early warnings or symptoms to realize I just need to do a quick factory restore and reinstall my patches? 

I'm fairly comfortable using virtual rigs live as I have the last 5 years but I've been on the Roland side. For line 6 I'm not familiar with common issues, errors, warning signs, or anything particular with the Helix. Ideally I want to make a quick cheat sheet. "If this happens, do this, etc"

I have to be more clear: I set the volume knob to something I'm NOT using as an output at the time (Digital)

So I take it that the Volume knob is as programmable as the rest of the Helix's controls?  Couldn't we assign the  Preset volume to this knob?

I'm not sure that a thumb drive would do anything for you as Helix can't read it. You'd still need a computer to reload your patches if it became necessary.

Yes; I figured that out...very confusing why they include a thumb drive in the box that you can't use?

Well I survived my first gig with Helix!

We've played this venue at least 2 dozen times with the same sound guy and w/o telling him what I got he complimented me saying that my sound has never been better. He said all the patches were even and made his job easier. A compliment from this guy is a "TRUE" compliment cause he's usually grumpier than Shrek. 

I also had a LOT of musical peers show up last night and they were leaning over to take a peak at what I was using cause they could tell a HUGE sound difference. 

• Upvote 2