Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any Worship Guitar Players Using Hd 500?

Jhatem81

Links to base patches are below plus a few different uses of delay such as the intro/verses for hillsong united's the time has come ("4 delay time"), the verses in fee's all because of Jesus ("4 delay"), the instrumental in hillsong live's cornerstone ("73 delay"). The gain lead patch is used on things like the intro to hillsong's healer and the solo in bethel church's one thing remains. The swell patch is used on hillsong united's with everything from the live in miami record. The clean patch also works well with this version of with everything.

I read some of the comments above on what is worship music or the worship genre. I agree that it's not confined to any style of music. I actually think of the musical style we're discussing here as more along the lines of 1970s progressive rock (lots of dynamics, detailed guitar work, solid keys, etc.). If anyone wants to get a good feel for the type of tone that's being discussed in this thread, check out on youtube a block of three songs that run together from the hillsong united live in miami album: from the inside out/a song to sing/with everything.

Comments are welcome and appreciated as I never seem to be 100% satisfied with the tone.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225490/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225491/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225492/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225493/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225494/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225495/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225496/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225497/

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/225498/

Thanks a lot brother :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I used my HD500X for the first time this past Sunday.  I spent several evenings during the previous week playing around with the unit and creating some initial patches.  My first priority was to somewhat replicate the sound I had already (My pedal board into a VOX VT20+, using the AC15 and/or AC30 models on that. I ran the amp straight into a DI and then to the mixer) So, I started with the AC30TB amp model and then added a Noise Gate, Tube Screamer, Volume Pedal, and Analog Chorus before the amp.  After the amp, I added a Digital Delay set to a dotted 1/8th note, and a Plate Reverb with with the Mix fairly low.  I created one version of this preset with a fairly low gain for a cleaner sound and another version with more gain for a more overdriven sound.  I then saved one of these two types of presets as new presets for each song.  Within each of those, I adjusted the BPM value for the delay to match the particular song.  I also set some of the presets to have the chorus or the OD on when the patch was selected.   

I'm thinking that I will probably not do a preset for every song, every week, but instead I may just have a batch of the same standard presets I use each week and just enter BPMs for delays.  I also plan to create presets for some specific songs that require special settings like a different amp, more OD, more ambient reverb, or whatever.

I have to say that I was pretty happy with how my patches sounded over the PA.  I had set them up by plugging my POD into the Stereo receiver in my office at home.  It's just running some Polk Audio bookshelf type speakers.   

I bought my 500x just a little over 3 weeks ago.  I've used it for 3 Sundays now.  I really like it!  It's the first Line 6 thing I've ever bought.  I didn't know that amp modeling had gotten really good.  I like using the Dr. Z amp for most of the big, mid-tempo or slow worship songs with any effects it needs (delay, octo verb, Tube Screamer) and the JCM800 with Tube Screamer for the more rockin' ones.  I never thought I'd use that for church, but it works for some of the songs.  Guitar was the first instrument I learned, but drums has been my main instrument for 6 or 7 years now.  Suddenly, I'm back on guitar and found the 500x which replaced my huge Vox AC50CP2 (I could never get a good sound out of that, mic'd or direct). 

Alex

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking that I will probably not do a preset for every song, every week, but instead I may just have a batch of the same standard presets I use each week and just enter BPMs for delays. ...   

You might want to experiment with the Tap Tempo feature. That way you can use the same preset and adjust the delay timing by tapping with your foot rather than creating different presets with different bpms.

For me, I've found that the AC models work best if your guitar has humbucker pickups.  To my ears, single coils and AC models are harsh and brittle.  For single coils I like to use some of the Marshall models, like the Plexi's and Park.

I absolutely love that you mentioned this. I have a brand new strat with custom shop pickups I am using, and a 1971 GK55 with humbuckers... I don't understand how to get my patch that uses an AC30 model to sound good, because to me it sounds so dang muddy to me for rhythm. I can't find the mids or the highs with my ears. Yet, so many people use the AC30 models. Thanks for the tip! I will experiment with the patches for my two babies. Any other tips for amp modeling with different guitars and lead/rhythm?

Blessings,

James

You might want to experiment with the Tap Tempo feature. That way you can use the same preset and adjust the delay timing by tapping with your foot rather than creating different presets with different bpms.

I hear you on the separate patches.   Sometimes I need to have my tempo set right for the beginning of the song (ok, most of the time) so I too create patches for each song when there's heavy delay.    As I side project, I have a P&W band and we are using Logic Pro X/Mainstage for live (backing) tracks.   I've been trying to figure out how to get that to set the tempo on my HD500X automatically...     That, I guess, is a topic for a different thread.

I browse the Variax JTV and HD forums pretty often but rarely say much.  But I don't see anybody using the HD 500 quite like I do so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.  I have a JTV 69 (with a transplanted 1986 Ibanez Wizard neck on it) mated to the HD500 and I couldn't be happier with it.  I preset everything for a service using the edit program.  I plug directly into the church mixer and we have Aviom units for personal monitoring.

This is only practical is you interface to a PC, and use POD HD500 Edit at home to set the HD up for a service ahead of time.  Since our services are preplanned, and have 5 to 9 songs (depending on if it is a Communion service), I use Set List Bank One for the song selections of the week.  The 1st song goes in 01A.  I can have up to four sounds for song #1 (e.g. 01A-interesting intro sound, 01B-acoustic model, 01C-distorted  power chords, 01D-pretty and clean tremolo for an easy ending).  Song #2 goes in 02A, 02B, 02C. and maybe 02D.  Song #3 in 03A, B, C, D etc.  I can pre-program up to 16 songs that way.  If the band is starting the 7th song, I just have to make sure I have the HD on 07A to get started right.

I named Set List Bank Two, "Scratch Pad", and use it to throw presets into for experimentation, or to copy the Bank One service selections into as a back-up.

The remaining six banks are named, "Acoustic", "Clean", "GP Crunchy" (GP=General Purpose), "Overdrv to HiGain", "Riffs/FX/Bass", and "Processed/Other".  I can put up to 64 (16X4) presets in each bank.  I spent several enjoyable evenings on-line down-loading and auditioning presets, and keeping the ones I liked and thought were useful or just fun.  I equalized them for initial volume, and made sure the foot pedal was configured as a volume pedal (I'm addicted to having one).  Then I put the presets in the appropriate bank (Acoustic, Clean, Crunchy, etc) to create a local library.  Now, when I am looking for a certain sound for a certain song, I can go to the appropriate bank and usually find something close.  I copy that one to Bank One for the service, fine-tune it, and give it the name of the song.  e.g. Slot 01A might become, "Our God Saves 1", 01B would be "Our God Saves 2", etc.   Then I also save these re-named presets to the PC so the next time they are used for a service, I just pull them back, load them into the appropriate spots in Bank One, and I am ready to go.

This has worked great for me.  I have hundreds of organized, pre-screened presets to pick from when arranging songs.  I have all of our old songs on the PC, ready to pull up by name, and load into Set List One for a service.  With the JTV/HD500 rig, I can go from a 12-string acoustic to a screaming Les Paul with the push of a footswitch.  Or drop the high-E string a half-step for songs like "My Reward" with another push of a button.  What a fun blessing!  I hope this helps someone.

• Upvote 1

I have a 400, so a bit more limited, but also don't have quite the obsession over patches.  I have 4 patches that I change only slightly.  They are a Deluxe, Twin, AC30 and Park, with similar drive level settings, but generally increasing levels of OD/distortion, though it's pretty subtle.  I also have a patch based off that Atlantis preset that I've tweaked to be more organ-like for swells, and have experimented with a pretty cranked Dr Z setting I'm just warming up to.

Each patch has different modulations on FX2, and different delay settings, though all are set for tap tempo.  If I need dotted-eighth, I just tap it.  We either get 4 clicks from the drummer, or there's a keyboard thing the WL does to manage the transition if we run them together.  In either case, more than enough time to set a delay tempo.

If I make changes, it's the night before, and I'll possibly change the on/off state of the FX for the first song that uses a patch, e.g., if I want delay on right away in the first song, I'll make sure it's on in the patch, and vice versa.

I rarely use the edit software, except to back up the patches after I've made some modification that I decide I want to keep, like changed the FX2 effect.  The UI is just too darn tiny to spend any time with!

We go direct and have Avioms, though I mix my own monitor mix now on an H6 (a recent change - tired of fighting bad gain settings overdriving Aviom - other thread link).  It gives me a more accurate feel since I'm hearing what goes to the house before it gets there, plus lets me record at the same time.

I do keep a spreadsheet of the couple hundred songs we have with the patch (or patches) I've decided are the best fit.  Sometimes I change my mind in practice, but that gets me started, especially for those songs that only come up once or twice a year.

I started playing at my church a few months ago.  I only play every few weeks as they rotate musicians.

At any rate, for most of the times I played I was using the HD500 into the return of an amp that is kept in a closet behind the stage where it can be turned up a bit and mic'd.  I did try going straight in once and really did not like the results (and yes I changed the global output accordingly).

Yesterday was the first I got the 4CM working and used my Egnater MOD50 with a Vox/Matchless replica module providing the overdrive tones.  It really worked great and I liked the tones a lot more than any modelling patch I had come up with although I really can't complain too much with the SLO crunch patches.  For now my clean is provided by a Hiwatt patch on the HD500, but for different levels of crunch I have the preamp of the MOD50 coming in via the FX loop and then put a volume pedal with a set top level to pull back the amount of overall crunch.  I have three such patches ranging from light crunch, to medium, to all of the preamp which is set to a fair amount of overdrive.

I don't feel I have a great handle on using delays so I will probably use this thread to help me figure some of that out with what people have said and with some of the patch samples.  I have really just set one type of delay and left it there for everything...pretty low mix level.  I know I could make better use of delays for sure.

My setup is probably overkill, but I like it and it works...so there is that :)

Two of our songs yesterday had pretty crunchy guitars (Revelation Song and Come Thou Fount Come Thou King) and that Matchless tone was really rich and warm.

I bought a an HD500 last December when I decided I didn't want to haul my Marshall rig to only play 7 songs.  Since the 500 is equiped with a 412 Greenback cab and a JTM 45 model, that replaces my real thing.

I have 4 custom made presets:

1. (CLEAN) Blackface Twin into 412 Greenback with one of the Senhieser mics

2. (SEMI CLEAN) JTM 45 into 412 Greenback, Senhieser mic

3. (CRUNCH) JTM 45 into 412 Greenback, Senhieser

4. (LEAD) JTM, 412 Green, Sen

I run the Screamer, Script Phase, Analog Chorus, Digital Delay, 63 Spring Reverb on all patches.  The drive levels of the JTMs and Screamer are set to the appropriate levels for each sound.

I have the FX set to be toggled on and off by the top row of buttons, and the presets themselves are toggled on and off by the bottom row of buttons. 

Volume at the end of the chain and noise gate and Wah at the beginning of each setting.

I basically was able to recreate my exact rig in the POD HD500.

I bought a an HD500 last December when I decided I didn't want to haul my Marshall rig to only play 7 songs.  Since the 500 is equiped with a 412 Greenback cab and a JTM 45 model, that replaces my real thing.

I have 4 custom made presets:

1. (CLEAN) Blackface Twin into 412 Greenback with one of the Senhieser mics

2. (SEMI CLEAN) JTM 45 into 412 Greenback, Senhieser mic

3. (CRUNCH) JTM 45 into 412 Greenback, Senhieser

4. (LEAD) JTM, 412 Green, Sen

I run the Screamer, Script Phase, Analog Chorus, Digital Delay, 63 Spring Reverb on all patches.  The drive levels of the JTMs and Screamer are set to the appropriate levels for each sound.

I have the FX set to be toggled on and off by the top row of buttons, and the presets themselves are toggled on and off by the bottom row of buttons. 

Volume at the end of the chain and noise gate and Wah at the beginning of each setting.

I basically was able to recreate my exact rig in the POD HD500.

Hi,

could you please upload your tones. - Thanks - Pratik

Use mine every Sunday. I don't think I can say I have any one setup I use more than others. I also don't try to copy sounds from the recordings. I like to create my patches for what works for me in my situation (I program in the main sanctuary using the main P.A. as my reference). I also use click tracks to keep lighting and video in sync so I put midi patch changes into the click track laptop and those happen for me within every song. Love it!

Hi. That sounds interesting. Can you tell me more?

I heard about Lincoln Brewster doing that (his drummer set it up)...

Do you have fixed patch numbers for the song and then the click track changes to that patch?

I use click tracks at church and have been thinking about trying this too, but each week, I copy that Sunday's patches into 1A, B, ... so they're all in a row. Not sure how that would work here.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lindsay:

Sorry I didn't notice your message right away.

My general way of working is to create patches for each song that are stored in folders that are named for each song. As I put together my setlist for each week I copy those patches into the HD500. The order doesn't matter since I use a midi command to pull them up.

I use Ableton Live for clicktrack playback. For as much as Ableton does well, one thing it doesn't do well is allow for external midi device commands easily. In fact you can't record external midi patch changes. Just midi CC changes. So what I did took some work but now it's easy since I have it set up. First I purchased a midi device (http://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm) that translates one midi command into another (as you define). I then downloaded an app for my ipad called TouchOSC. I used it to create my own midi device on the ipad that has 127 buttons. Each button is assigned a midi CC 25 message with a value from 1-127 (representing patch numbers). I simply record into Ableton from my iPad where I want the patch changes to take place inside of each click track. Then when I play it back it goes thru the midi event processor device that changes changes the cc message back into a program change command that the HD500 can understand. Works perfect and NEVER have any problems. Another benefit of doing this is that any time I use a time dependant effect like delay it automatticaly syncs to the tempo of the song.

For a while I kept one huge Ableton session that had all of our songs in it. That way I never had to copy patches back into the HD500. Recently however I went back to creating a new Ableton session for each week and copyoing the patches into the HD500.

Sounds complicated but it's not. Feel free to contact my if I can offer any help.

Andy Krieger

I have been using the HD500 for about 2 years now Sunday 2 services plus Sunday night services.. LOVE IT!.. All the elctric players in our worship team use HD500 and there is one using the XT still.. I have worship tones on custom tone for contemporary, and christian metal.   Just look up StokesGA on custom tone..Most of all my tones were written on Stratocasters.

Thanks Andy,

Sounds interesting. A couple more questions:

- What is actually connected to your POD? Do you run a MIDI cable to the Ableton computer via a hardware interface?

- I'm still not sure how it 'knows' which patch to load, since you say the order doesn't matter... Wouldn't your MIDI signals have to request a specific patch (e.g. bank 1D), or does it work differently? Do you choose the patch manually on the POD, then the MIDI signals just change 'options' (like stomps) in the same patch?

We use Ableton too, and I have it sending MIDI signals for changing the words in time and experimented with changing lights too. Are you using multitracks.com stems? (we are, plus some of my own part recordings)

Cheers...

• 1 month later...

Hi brothers and sisters,

first I got my JTV59 and loved the posybilities to change between electric and acoustic sounds.

Last christmas the HD500 completed my equipment for guitar. It's so amazing! I love to worship God with such a wonderful sound! It's absolutely cool to change sounds just with one button. My JTV59 is mostly connected to the HD500 via VDI-cable. So it's possyble to play a 12-string acoustic simultanously to a distorted electric guitar! Or two e-guitars.

But now our band is bigger so I use more single sounds. Sometimes wireless.

I also play violin. This spring I bought an e-violin to get better sounds than with my acoustic one.

After some changes I like the sound of my e-violin and the posybilities of the HD500 are also great for worship-violin!

I play the e-violin mostly wireless.

The HD500 is directly connected to the PA. left channel violin, right channel guitar. At home I use headphones, or my Marshall AS50D acoustic amp.

I love to play music for God. And with my equipment it's nearly possible to forget all that technical stuff and to fall into music - just playing - :-)

• Upvote 1

I hear you on the separate patches. Sometimes I need to have my tempo set right for the beginning of the song (ok, most of the time) so I too create patches for each song when there's heavy delay. As I side project, I have a P&W band and we are using Logic Pro X/Mainstage for live (backing) tracks. I've been trying to figure out how to get that to set the tempo on my HD500X automatically... That, I guess, is a topic for a different thread.

Since the hd500 uses ms instead of bpm, it can be confusing to set the tempo...but there are calculators to help convert a known bpm I to ms. I've posted a link here somewhere...

Edit: here it is http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/tools/delay-time-calculator.htm

I've been a pod user in worship since pod 2.0. That's like, 10 years ago lol.. But I used that, then the xt live. On the xt live, all my tones revolved around the ac 30 amp.. I was able to closely match just about any lead worship guitarists tone. But I mostly stuck around a Daniel Carson type tone from Chris Tomlins band. Then, my church offered to buy me the hd500 because I talked about it so much. I basically felt the xt live was starting to hold me back because of the new features on the hd500. After hours and hours of playing around and tweaking on it.. I get most of my tones off of the doctor z amp. If I'm constantly using clean and and dirty tones back and forth on one song I always just use the volume knob to back the gain off to clean. I use a fender amp for some patches, mostly clean, but I do use it on one patch for a beefy classic rock tone on certain songs.. But I use that amp and some fx pedals for "revelation song" by Phillips, Craig and dean and have the lead tone nailed almost dead on with delay and everything. Everything just takes a ton of tweaking to get the many tones you want. People really don't understand the concept of how easy it is to carry a board in and plug it into the pa and your ready for a gig lol. No lugging around 4 $figure$ amps and using 10 pedals to get your tone when you can have a like 30 of the best and most popular amps or however many amps there are on the dang thing with 100 pedals to choose from lol. It's just common sense. At least everyone on this forum "gets it". Oh, and I use an alto ts115a powered speaker at home to come close to the live sound and sometimes plugged into my in ear system at church when I don't feel like using in ears. But anyways, I get compliments consistently about how good my guitar sounds from a lot of people. Good luck bro

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, i know someone asked this a long time ago, but from looking at this post, i am not sure if anyone ever responded.  I am curious to see if anyone has a patch that could be used for "Whom Shall I fear" by Chris Tomlin  for electric guitar? 

For that song, I typically use the Screamer Overdrive, a touch of Analog Chorus, dotted 8th digital delay, an AC30 amp, and a plate reverb, in that order. It's pretty simple to create your own patch for it. If you ever look up Daniel Carson's rig online, you'll see he uses some pretty straightforward stuff himself in terms of pedals and amps.

• 3 weeks later...

You might be in a small group with that T5, but they always looked like nice guitars!

Not sure what you mean by "thick, fat, lead tone," exactly, but I have to say it's probably not something that shows up in a lot of CCM.  If the AC30 is not working for you, you might take a swing with a Marshall or Park (probably the closest thing to "fat" that I had in my patches), or even a Fender Twin model.  If you are going direct, you'll need to rely on the FOH folks to watch for muddiness when those HBs start encroaching on the bass' range or low keys.  (Which is a sideways hint that sometimes what sounds fat in a mix isn't that fat at all by itself.  Record the full mix to be sure you're getting what you want.)

You might be in a small group with that T5, but they always looked like nice guitars!

Not sure what you mean by "thick, fat, lead tone," exactly, but I have to say it's probably not something that shows up in a lot of CCM.  If the AC30 is not working for you, you might take a swing with a Marshall or Park (probably the closest thing to "fat" that I had in my patches), or even a Fender Twin model.  If you are going direct, you'll need to rely on the FOH folks to watch for muddiness when those HBs start encroaching on the bass' range or low keys.  (Which is a sideways hint that sometimes what sounds fat in a mix isn't that fat at all by itself.  Record the full mix to be sure you're getting what you want.)

When I hear "thick, fat lead tone" I think of the lead guitar in Steve Fee's live version of "All Because of You", especially in the muted bridge section.  I'm trying to get that tone out of the HD500x.  

To my ear, a lot of the "thickness" is caused by delay.  For the more typical CCM kind of tone I would usually alternate between a patch with an AC-30 model or the Park 75, but I also liked the Fender Deluxe, and a lot of times that will work. Honestly, I never spent the time to try to duplicate a tone exactly - it would have made me crazy :).  But really, with the delay and OD/distortion/compression going on, there's a lot of ways to get a tone that works.  (If you have a humbucking guitar, and it's got some of those hotter pickups, you might want to keep the volume rolled back on the guitar so you can let the "chime" of the amp come through - much as I love my Gibson LP, it's not the guitar I'd probably pick as an "only" guitar for CCM lead *and* rhythm.)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a HD500x for worship, will be plugging straight into the board.  How do you guys get a dotted eighth using the tap tempo?  I haven't been able to figure out how to set it up that way through knob twiddling. Do you have to edit through a PC connection? 

Sounds like there is a lot of experience here, both with worship guitar and with these line6 floorboards!  I look forward to tapping into your knowledge and at some point contributing with my own experience. 

To use the Tap Tempo switch you need to set the delay time in your FX to be a note value rather than a millisecond value. You don't need to use the PC to do this, though the different available settings might be more evident.

Hey guys, I'm using my hd 500x for worship and I'm wondering if i can use the 4 cable method and put analog fx in the loop at the same time. is this possible?

Absolutely not... that is not allowed for worship playing, only regular playing like for rock and roll...  LOL...

Of course you can.  just plug them in where you want in the signal chain and adjust your levels accordingly...

• Upvote 2

To use the Tap Tempo switch you need to set the delay time in your FX to be a note value rather than a millisecond value. You don't need to use the PC to do this, though the different available settings might be more evident.

Could you be more specific?  perhaps I'm not good at navigation yet, but when I edit the delay parameters I don't see anything that allows me to select between ms and note value.  Can you give me the path to do that?  Sorry to be so basic but I just got the thing and am hoping to use this in services in a week and a half. 

• 2 weeks later...

Could you be more specific?  perhaps I'm not good at navigation yet, but when I edit the delay parameters I don't see anything that allows me to select between ms and note value.  Can you give me the path to do that?  Sorry to be so basic but I just got the thing and am hoping to use this in services in a week and a half. 

You have to scroll past 2000ms on the "Delay"  setting to get the note values. 

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate this thread so much!  And i really appreciate Tboneous comments about what is worship.  I agree with most of this discussion, but i feel it does detract from the intent of this tread for sure!  

That said...we as Worship Musicians should be striving for an excellence that is uniquely ours. We like many many other churches are just big "worship cover bands" we try to replicate, duplicate, & manipulate everyone else's tones and effects...which is where i appreciate the comment about how there is not many uniquely outstanding guitarists in this Christian Music era.  Phil Keaggy and Lincoln Brewster are probably the top Christian Music Guitarists of All Time...and being a huge LB fan his tones are uniquely his!

God has given us all talents and giftings (even the un-saved).  We should as a body of believers and worshippers start to break out of the box of comparison and make the sound God has given us...not just duplicate what someone else is doing.  In other words, let's quit letting all the other BIG Christian Worship Bands dictate our tones & lyrics lets make our own!  Some of us may never become BIG like them, but we'd be confident in knowing we were playing the sounds that God gave us to play!

As a side note, everything under the sun hasn't already been done! God is infinitely talented and we are made in his image!!

• Upvote 1